• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • Member No: 14325
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 11:14 AM

So I think we're leaning hard toward the Case. What questions would be prudent to ask prior to making the 1.5 hour drive down to see it?

#17 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 11:24 AM

I would ask if they have done the regulare oil changes in the motor, and hydraulic system ( this, BTW, uses motor oil in the hydraulic system) . Check the front axle for excessive wear at the hinge point. Make sure the high/ Low range selector slides, and engages, without excessive grinding. Oh, on that note- ask 'em when the last time the transaxle oil was changed too. and does it go full speed forward and reverse,

Does it start w/o issues, or is it cold hearted beast?

Other than that,,,, :thumbs:
  • jadefox said thank you

#18 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 11:34 AM

Here's the link by the way:

http://maine.craigsl...3381988914.html

Please don't go buying it from under us though! :-)
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 11:42 AM

The Case by design is a heavier stronger tractor than the other 2 but it is also much older. Even if well maintained an old tractor can require a lot of work and expense to put it in good condition for the long haul. Onans are good engines but parts are getting expensive and harder to find. I would budget for some repairs and replacement parts if going with the Case. A lot depends on how many hours are on it and how it was maintained, as well as what parts have already been replaced. A blade is a different prospect for snow removal than a blower, and in general is not as good at dealing with really large snow falls. You also need room to push the snow.
  • jadefox said thank you

#20 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 12:16 PM

I would say he is asking the top range for the Case, but if it is all sound. I would be comfortable around 1200 if I was in the market for one. See if he will budge. I'm hesitant to value it as it I don't have any experience with them. They have a great reliability factor and are very strong.

Keep us updated.
  • jadefox said thank you

#21 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the pic , that helps a lot.

I agree with Dave, he is at top dollar in my book, but will outlive the others.

One question I would be asking now that you have shared the pics- Was the rear end worked on? Note the yellow paint marker on the left rear hub flange ( hub is black and older looking) and then the right side is the nice and shiny, and a different color... Maybe just a paint job, but I'd want to know....

Edited by marlboro180, November 05, 2012 - 12:26 PM.

• jadefox said thank you

#22 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 12:25 PM

I would say he is asking the top range for the Case, but if it is all sound. I would be comfortable around 1200 if I was in the market for one. See if he will budge. I'm hesitant to value it as it I don't have any experience with them. They have a great reliability factor and are very strong.

Keep us updated.

He says it's in solid shape, starts right up and runs well. We just can't afford a project right now, but I'm worried it won't be too long before the Craftsman becomes not enough for our needs. Decisions. Decisions...

#23 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 01:30 PM

The Case 448, as I own one and they are awsome. I paid $1000 with a deck, rear hydralic and Snowblower and chains. It also came with all the books.

But only if it runs well as that Onan is not cheap to repair. If not go with the 2007 or 2008 DYS 4500.
  • jadefox said thank you

#24 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 01:37 PM

The Case 448, as I own one and they are awsome. I paid $1000 with a deck, rear hydralic and Snowblower and chains. It also came with all the books.

But only if it runs well as that Onan is not cheap to repair. If not go with the 2007 or 2008 DYS 4500.

Thanks! So like the others suggested, you think $1500 is high?
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#25 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 01:42 PM

Welcome aboard jade! This is a very friendly and helpful community and as you can tell everyone is rooting for the case :thumbs: Hopefully you guys can get it for a good deal best of luck! :rocker2:
  • jadefox said thank you

#26 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 02:26 PM

The Case is the obvious choice of the 3, its a true garden tractor, able to handle rear mounted implements, optional 3 point catagory 0 3point hitch, rear sleeve hitch, front snowthrower, front snow blade, log splitter driven by the tractors own Hyd system along with a hyd driven rototiller. Ingersoll still make the Case designed tractors to this very day and most of the new implements are interchangable. Onan parts are no more difficult than any other older engine. Onan is owned by Cummins engine group that makes the diesel engines. Parts are more expensive than say a Briggs and Stratton, but no worse than Kohler parts are getting these days. To match that Case in a new tractor, your in the $6000-10000+ price range. Make sure the Onan starts easily, they will be cold blooded and this is normal to need a little choke for a few moments till cylinder temps warm up a bit if its chilly or damp out. There should be no blue smoke on throttle up or throttle down, a little black on quick throttle up is ok but at no other time. The others covered checking out the hy-drive system. Case's can run away on down hills if doesnt have the optional travel valve under the tractor as they can freewheel even under power. If it doesnt have the travel valve, they can be found on ebay or from Case folks like Steve Guider. You can also pull the hy-drive lever back into the reverse retard selection and power brake when coming down hills. Its just the way the Case hyd drive works over the more common Hydrostatic system. Even if you have to put a little $$ into the tractor or mower deck, it is built to last a lifetime with proper upkeep. There are several sources for Case parts, including engines, mower decks other options you might want like a 3point hitch ect. We have a collector right here where I live now that has over 25 Case garden tractors and is good friends with Steve Guider, who is thought to have one of the best collections of Case tractors and probably the most knowledgable of all of them. He advertises in the LAGT magazine that is sold by the folks that put on this forum. A great magazine and excellent resource for parts when you operate a older garden tractor. Good luck and let us all know what you get. Mike
  • jadefox said thank you

#27 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 02:55 PM

I think $1500 is a tad high as well.
  • jadefox said thank you

#28 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 03:48 PM

First I personally think the price is high for what your getting. Next, I didn't like the way the engine idled. Sounded very erratic to me (Lean or tight valves) but it could be the video. I don't know what it takes to adjust the valves on an Onan but if it really sounds like it does in the video it would be a good reason to contest his price. The Onan's that I remember hearing idled very nicely.
  • jadefox said thank you

#29 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 05:10 PM

First I personally think the price is high for what your getting. Next, I didn't like the way the engine idled. Sounded very erratic to me (Lean or tight valves) but it could be the video. I don't know what it takes to adjust the valves on an Onan but if it really sounds like it does in the video it would be a good reason to contest his price. The Onan's that I remember hearing idled very nicely.

Thanks. We made an offer we thought was more in the ballpark based on feedback and looking at other similar tractors. Anyone else have a thought on the idling engine?

#30 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thanks! So like the others suggested, you think $1500 is high?

Hard to say. Mine is not perfect and needs restoring. I know I would pay up to $2000 for the right one. Here is pics of mine

448 001.JPG 448 002.JPG 448 003.JPG

Talking to the previous owner later he said he had a ton of phone calls and was on CL just 2 hours.
  • jadefox said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case 448, craftsman lt200, craftsman dys 4500