• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • Member No: 14325
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 09:32 AM

We just moved to Maine, and we are looking for a tractor. What do we need/want? We need a tractor for general yardwork now (cleaning up leaves, moving brush, hauling debris, etc.), for snow removal this winter and for mowing 2+ acres come next summer. We have narrowed our choices down to the following:

1983 Case 448 (18hp Onan engine) w/ 54" blade and chains and mowing deck with mule drive

2008 Craftsman LT2000 w/ mowing deck (I think 42") and trailer (low hours)

2007 or 2008 DYS 4500 (26 hp V-Twin Kohler engine) w/ 54" mowing deck, mulching plug, bagger and 42" snow blower (w/cab, chains, weights)

Any thoughts on which direction we should be leaning and what we should be paying?

Thank in advance!

Edited by jadefox, November 05, 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
Of the tractors you mentioned,I would go with the Case.Buts that's just me.
  • RoosterLew and jadefox have said thanks

#3 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
Of the tractors you mentioned,I would go with the Case.Buts that's just me.

Thanks for the welcome! I know nothing about CASE tractors except that they have a loyal following. This is the oldest tractor of the three at which we are looking (1983 versus 2008), but I'm suspecting they are workhorses that keep on going. How easy is it get attachments for them?

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:21 AM

Welcome Jadefox, glad you decided to join us. I hope you enjoy the forum's and feel free to join in any of the conversations.

As far as the tractor's go I have a Craftsman 2001 and it has been a good tractor and continues to do what I need it to do. That being said from your post I think you would be better off with the case. I think you will be able to find more accessories for the Case that will suit your need's up there in Maine.
  • jadefox said thank you

#5 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:36 AM

Welcome Jadefox, glad you decided to join us. I hope you enjoy the forum's and feel free to join in any of the conversations.

As far as the tractor's go I have a Craftsman 2001 and it has been a good tractor and continues to do what I need it to do. That being said from your post I think you would be better off with the case. I think you will be able to find more accessories for the Case that will suit your need's up there in Maine.

Thanks for the welcome! We're on the coast, so not the snow one gets inland, but I do see us getting a splitter, etc. down the line. So even though its more than 20 years older than the Craftsmans, you'd feel comfortable that we're not getting too much of a project (it has been well maintained)? We're not against projects, but there projects 'o plenty associated with our new 19th century farmhouse that need to take priority over working on the tractor...at least for now. :-)

#6 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:43 AM

I would pick the case.Very good tractor for snow and mowing,and other chores around your house. :thumbs:
  • jadefox said thank you

#7 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:47 AM

I would pick the case.Very good tractor for snow and mowing,and other chores around your house. :thumbs:

What sort of price range should I be expecting with mowing deck and blade (assuming it runs well and has been well maintained)?

#8 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Welcome. I'm glad you joined. I would also suggest the Case.
  • jadefox said thank you

#9 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Jadefox,

Thanks for joning us here and Welcome!

Depending on your usage, any one of the three you listed would probable be fine, but there certainly are advantages to each unit you are looking at.

LT2000- parts are easy to come by, and readily available. Not Knocking the new Sears / Craftman stuff, but this is a lightweight and lighter duty machine, the least of the bunch. - Disclaimer - I have a DLT3000, good machine, not great, but good enough for mowing.

The 4500 is a step up , and if you have the need for the increased width of cut, not a bad choice at all. Still a light garden tractor though, IMHO.

The Case 448 is a step back in time, yes, but overall is more rugged, durable and one can get a whole lot more attachments for it. The Onan motors are a bit thirsty, so there is a drawback to them in that regard. The grass cutting abalities are fantastic, and overall, I would not hesitate to vote for the 448 being at the top of the list. -- disclaimer- I am a Case 222, 448, and 648 owner / user....

Edited by marlboro180, November 05, 2012 - 10:54 AM.

• jadefox said thank you

#10 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Welcome. I'm glad you joined. I would also suggest the Case.

Any guidance on the value of this machine?

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:54 AM

:welcometogttalk:
I't hard to put ones self in your position but of the three I also would go with the case. Personally I wouldn't get in a hurry. There are other brands out there that made great tractors. Are you mechanically inclined, if not you might want to consider something that is supported locally. Good luck with your search.
  • jadefox said thank you

#12 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:55 AM

If the Case looks like it has been well maintained that would be my first pick. I don't know the market in your area but a good used one will likely cost about the same as a new DYS 4500 !!

Second would probably be the 2008 DYS 4500 because it comes with a lot of attachments.

Without a picture or a little more information about the general condition of the machines it's difficult to make a judgment.

The Case would be my first pick because it is very sturdy in construction. If it is maintained then it will last many decades for you. Just be aware that if you need to repair the hydraulics or the engine it can get expensive.

Good Luck with your purchase and welcome to the forum.
  • jadefox said thank you

#13 jadefox OFFLINE  

jadefox
  • 15 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:55 AM

Jadefox,

Thanks for joning us here and Welcome!

Depending on your usage, any one of the three you listed would probable be fine, but there certainly are advantages to each unit you are looking at.

LT2000- parts are easy to come by, and readily available. Not Knocking the new Sears / Craftman stuff, but this is a lightweight and lighter duty machine, the least of the bunch. - Disclaimer - I have a DLT3000, good machine, not great, but good enough for mowing.

The 4500 is a step up , and if you have the need for the increased width of cut, not a bad choice at all. Still a light garden tractor though, IMHO.

The Case 448 is a step back in time, yes, but overall is more rugged, durable and one can get a whole lot more attachments for it. The Onan motors are a bit thirsty, so there is a drawback to them in that regard. The grass cutting abalities are fantastic, and overall, I would not hesitate to vote for the 448 being at the top of the list. -- disclaimer- I am a Case 222, 448, and 648 owner / user....

Thanks so much! So what do you think we should pay (ballpark) for the Case assuming it runs great and has been well maintained?

#14 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yup i agree with the Case....real work horse...u wont b let down
  • jadefox said thank you

#15 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 11:00 AM

Well, that price depends on a few things.... Location being one of them, as here in SE WI Case machines are not real rare, as they were built here.... I gave the equivalent of 650 for mine, and it was a little boogered up. It came with a deck, no mule drive. I see a few on CL going for well more than that though.
  • jadefox said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case 448, craftsman lt200, craftsman dys 4500