• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:43 PM

So it looks like I am going to need to overhual the carb on my 66 10G to get it running. Took it apart today and the bowl gasket fell apart and the inlet valve seat was swollen shut.

I'm curious if anybody knows where to get carb kits for alot better price. $30 is outrageous since that is what a kit for a rochester quadrajet 4 barrel carb costs! In fact the last Bosch diesel injection pump reseal kit cost me in that range.

Several of my float bowls are pitted around the drain valve. I'm bead blasting the rust out of the inside, but they seep and waste gas. JB weld might be part of the trick, curious what others may have done. I could just switch over to the bowls with no drain too.

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 10:18 PM

I get mine on Ebay. this is one on the guys I buy a lot from http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a0505897b

And this kit is only 9.50 w/free shipping. he has always been fast shipping for me also

#3 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 10:22 PM

I found this website
http://www.jackssmal...Carburetor-Kits

#4 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 10:22 PM

Sorry forgot about the bowl question. I usually swap them out if it is pitted, I don't think I would trust JB or anything like that in a carb ( might come off and plug it up?) The bowls are usually cheap on Ebay also. Some of the carter bowls will also fit a Walbro,

#5 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 10:26 PM

I found this website
http://www.jackssmal...Carburetor-Kits

Jacks is good but they tend to get you on shipping. $5.16 for the kit but $13.11 once shipping and tax is added.
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#6 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 11:20 PM

Sorry forgot about the bowl question. I usually swap them out if it is pitted, I don't think I would trust JB or anything like that in a carb ( might come off and plug it up?) The bowls are usually cheap on Ebay also. Some of the carter bowls will also fit a Walbro,

old school 2 part liquid JB weld has been used for longer than I have been alive to seal leaking metering well plugs in rochester quadrajets. It doesn't come off if the surface is stripped to bare base metal. The proceedure was endorsed by the GM service technology group.

I do like the price of the ebay kits, in fact the one you linked to is one I looked at earlier tonight. Is that picture a generic one? The walbro LME has a bit of a different kit. I really think alot of the parts weren't really necessary since the real issue usually is with the lack of any real fuel filter, and dried out rubber seals and gaskets more than anything.

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, November 04, 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#7 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:35 AM

they r like 10 bucks at my work.