#1 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 08:12 AM

It has been soaking in PB Blaster for about a week. Tried putting the nut on and gently tapping it while pulling up on the steering wheel. Tried same while not so gently tapping so now will have to clean up the threads on the shaft if and when I get the steering wheel off. It is plastic so heat is out.

Is there a steering wheel puller for this tractor? Perhaps someone has made one and can post a photo or two?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by GTTinkerer, November 04, 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 08:56 AM

I just use a bearing separator to pull them with.
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#3 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 08:57 AM

gttinkerer, i bought a ''remover'' off ebay that works really good. i havent had a wheel i couldn't remove or haven't broken a single wheel, even plastic ones. it is a 6'' bolt w 5/8-11 ( i think) thread with a castle nut welded to it. take off the steering wheel nut ,thread the bolt down to about 1/8'' of the wheel ,either put your knees under the wheel or pull with 1 hand while you tap the bolt w a hammer. as the wheel starts to come up, loosen the bolt another1/8'' and repeat till it comes off. i think i gave like 7 or 8 dollars for it. if you make your own. thread castle nut backwards, that is w the smooth side down leaving enough bolt thread to go down on steering shaft.Use a grade 8 bolt. hope this helps.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:37 AM

Yeah,a bearing separator is what I always use.They work great for removing steering wheels.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,660 Thanks
  • 39,030 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:38 AM

I just use a bearing separator to pull them with.

That's what I have heard folks say to use, though I haven't come across a tough one yet. But I have the 40 year old Cub to take apart one of these days.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Be careful pounding on the shaft. You can crack or completely break the Ross steering gear housing. The job is not made easier by the hollow shaft used on the Ross gear, at least it's hollow on the JD 317 I have been dealing with lately. The correct type of puller is a must for that job. A little bit of heat applied with a heat gun, being careful not to overheat the plastic wheel, may help. Warm it up gradually over a period of time. I find the thermal cycling seems to help the penetrating oil do it's job. Sometimes it's like they are welded on there.