Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Snow Cabs On Gt's

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Snow cabs on GT's (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Are they worth having / using

1. yes (22 votes [95.65%])

Percentage of vote: 95.65%

2. no (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 baerpath OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:28 AM

I have never used one for snowblowing. My question is are they really worth using/ hassle ? I just listed one for sale and it got me wondering.

#2 ggsteve OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 08:22 AM

I used to be one of the hearty, intrepid souls who would hop on my Craftsman/Berco snowblower combination and venture out into the snowy hinterlands unencumbered by a cab.

Posted Image

I had my pack boots, my 3 layers of clothing, my Walls coveralls, my face mask, and my heavy winter coat. After an hour or two of snowblowing I would come back in the house proud of the snow caked to my outerwear.

Posted Image

As fate would have it, one of those cheap tractor cabs with no back, more like a shower curtain on a frame than anything substantial, showed up nearby on CL.

Posted Image

I installed it on my Craftsman and with a few acrobatic contortions found myself in a loud, claustrophobic space with a wrinkly, fuzzy view of the outside world through the plastic windshield. Yuck! What have I done?!

Posted Image

Then I got my first opportunity to use the cab. Even with no back on the cab I was toasty warm. Too warm in fact, I had to remove my heavy coat! No snow blowing back in my face! No snow covering the tractor seat, dash and controls! No more puddles of melted snow where I stepped back into the house to clean off! I will never go back to "naked snow blowing"!

Posted Image

I have since upgraded my "shower curtain" cab to an OTC cab company hard top cab with glass windshield and wiper.

Posted Image

I added LED flood lights and a hazard blinker on top. It's safe, roomy and comfy, like snowblowing in a phone booth, for those of you that remember phone booths.

Posted Image

I have since acquired cabs for my JD 140 with plow, and JD 317 with Johnny Bucket. Nothing like riding in style!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ggsteve, November 04, 2012 - 08:46 AM.

• HowardsMF155 and KC9KAS have said thanks

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 08:42 AM

I plan to build one this year for the Sears. It'll be part of my many winter projects when i tare the Sears down for its make over.....lol, and since I have a new welder coming for xmas.......gotta try it out somewhere...lol

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 08:43 AM

I like being outside. I grew up with cabless farm tractors and work outside a fair bit in the winter. I don't use a snowblower on my GT, just a bucket and a rear blade, so the decreased movement and visibility is a trade I don't ant to make. I have used a rear blower on farm tractors with no cab. It's a little uncomfortable, but you can see better.

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,469 Thanks
  • 17,093 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 08:55 AM

After a few years of coming into the house caked in snow I finally used a cab for the first time last year and I would never go without one again if using the blower :thumbs:

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:07 AM

Used to blow without one in my younger years.Now I find that I can't take the cold [if I get cold to cold I suffer for days after] so now anything I use its got to have a cab as well as heat.Guess its part of getting older,then again also having had a big accident and breaking many bones etc: doesn't help either. Larry

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,222 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:21 AM

ggsteve, you gave a very good detail (with great pictures) of your experience snowblowing! From your post, anyone with a snowblower will get them a cab now! :thumbs:

I agree with others here....when I was younger the cold and snow didn't bother me too much. For about 16 years now, I have had an indoor job, and have become a real "woosie" when it comes to the cold and snow.

I do-not have a snow blower because in my area we don't have that much snow at any given time (just watch out now!), but if I had one and used it very much, I WOULD have a protective cab!

Edited by KC9KAS, November 04, 2012 - 09:27 AM.

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,688 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 01:01 PM

GGsteve, you have told us all an entertaining and persuasive story about your experiences snow blowing. Thanks!

#9 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 05:50 PM

I've done it both ways, and a cab is the only way to go!

#10 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:17 PM

I had one one the 74-112, tried it once without, I'll stick to the cab for the blower! It is kinda' tight in there, but worth it!

GARDEN TRACTORS 709 (Small).jpg

Now I use the same cab on my 80-314, put it on with the 790:

HPIM2244 (640x478) (Small) (Small) (Copy).jpg

I don't want a cab for the 83-420 w/blade though:

GARDEN TRACTORS 700 (Custom).jpg

#11 Jehtro OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'm cab all the way , I never used to think so , then I got a 185 with a cab on it,

I sold the 185 but then kept the cab for the 318.

2 things I liked about it, One could clear snow no matter what I was wearing, sometimes I would just jump on the tractor with my dress pants on from work, no hat or gloves, its surprising how warm you are.

2nd would be I believe its safer, you can always be focus on your blower / surroundings, no snow in the face.

I don't have a picture of the 185, but here is a video with the cab, snow pants not required all winter,

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,686 Thanks
  • 28,329 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:14 PM

If you are running a blower... Yep, Cab. Home made, anything.

One massive face full from a gust of wind was all it took to convince me.

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,324 Thanks
  • 4,918 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Nothing like a face full of snow when it's below zero out to bring one close to nature. The gentle caress of melting snow as those crystal clear streams of water run gently down the inside of your collar to bring out that longing for more snow to blow. :bigrofl:

No thanks. You can have that stuff. Did it that way for years and I'll take my cab any day. :thumbs:

#14 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 05:53 PM

The day I trade in my Carhartt Cabs in for a tractor mounted one I'll know I've finally attained "Old Geezer" status. Then and only then I'll feel free to hire out the snow plowing.:D

#15 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,262 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 11:11 PM

X2, Harold!! I figure exposure to the elements helps keep me healthy. I'll be plowing w/ my wheeler until I finally get the hydro for the 314. Yes, my kevlar welder's ski mask, insulated gloves, insulated coveralls and felt lined paks. I still love it!! Oh, the wheeler does have heated grips!!