Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Own An H16 Serial # 0201001 And Up?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • Member No: 8924
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 06:41 AM

h16.jpg

Just purchased this H16 and have a few questions. Since the previous owner had no idea where the hydrostatic fill cap was, I'm guessing I should start with:
1. Oil change (10w-30 as I will be using it this winter)
2. Replace spark plug (engine runs a little rough)
3. Clean or replace air cleaner
4. Check hydraulic levels - possibly change.

When I downloaded the owners manual (thanks GTT!) it stated that serial #0201001 and up (mine is 0300602) you add fluid to plug level on the transaxle housing. It also said to use type "A" automatic transmission fluid (or Bolens 172-1514) The manual was a bit confusing to me as the photos in the manual didn't look like my transaxle. When I loosened the nut fluid came pouring out, and I didn't think that was right. A friend suggested that there may be a "breather valve" or something else that is clogged and that is why there was fluid coming out.Here is a shot of my transaxle and the manual picture:

h16 rearend.jpg

h16 manual pic.JPG

I guess I'm asking for advice on what fluid to use and why there is fluid pouring out.
I'm also wondering what what else I should check/replace right away besides the 4 things I stated above.

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:10 AM

Alota people are very anal on what type they use. Some only use certain brands as well which I am in "that" category...lol. An ol man told me long time ago he's always used SAE 30 in his garden tractor engines and same in his differential s on them. I have followed the same path and haven't had an issue yet. The only time I switch is if I'm going to use one of my GT's in the winter for plowing I'll use 10w30 for the engine.......good luck.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:59 AM

I'll look at my serial number when I get a chance.

#4 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 08:39 AM

That big plug is for the hydro stat it also uses the same fluid for the hydraulics It holds 4 quarts of type A ATF fluid and the drain plug is on the Lh side of the axle housing Id also check your drive belts also check you rocker arm clearance that black box on the top of the engine take the 2 5/15 bolts out Also some one probably over filled it My h14 when i got it i pulled the plug and WATER pored out i guess it shows how tough the Eaton 10 is
  • bill1261 said thank you

#5 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 11:25 AM

That big plug is for the hydro stat it also uses the same fluid for the hydraulics It holds 4 quarts of type A ATF fluid and the drain plug is on the Lh side of the axle housing Id also check your drive belts also check you rocker arm clearance that black box on the top of the engine take the 2 5/15 bolts out Also some one probably over filled it My h14 when i got it i pulled the plug and WATER pored out i guess it shows how tough the Eaton 10 is

Thank you 8tyman8. I called NAPA and they don't stock a Type "A" Automatic Trans Fluid. Is there a modern substitute to the type "A"?

I also removed the 2 5/16" bolts and exposed the rocker arms. How do you measure the clearance? Here's a photo:

h16 rocker arms.jpg

Thank you!

#6 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 06:40 PM

a feeler gauge between the valve stem and the rocker check the techumseh book for those engines and if it starts hard take a couple thousandance off the exhaust clearence as wear in the cam can reduce the compression releases effect as it uses the exhaust valve and an advance on the cam to open the exhaust valve and reduces the compression for easier starting, sorry i can't help anymore my h16 is older and uses a tank located in front of the seat mounted to the fender it also uses gear lube in the trans axle and ford type a /fa fliud in the hydro drive unit and they are separate and sealed off from each other . when i changed the fluids after i got mine i put 75/90 valvoline full synthetic gear oil in the trans it self as my 73 calls for 85/140 but i figured thats to heavy for winter use

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 07:29 PM

a feeler gauge between the valve stem and the rocker check the techumseh book for those engines and if it starts hard take a couple thousandance off the exhaust clearence as wear in the cam can reduce the compression releases effect as it uses the exhaust valve and an advance on the cam to open the exhaust valve and reduces the compression for easier starting, sorry i can't help anymore my h16 is older and uses a tank located in front of the seat mounted to the fender it also uses gear lube in the trans axle and ford type a /fa fliud in the hydro drive unit and they are separate and sealed off from each other . when i changed the fluids after i got mine i put 75/90 valvoline full synthetic gear oil in the trans it self as my 73 calls for 85/140 but i figured thats to heavy for winter use

The newer versions have the trans axle filled with Atf insted of gear lube

#8 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 07:47 PM

Thank you 8tyman8. I called NAPA and they don't stock a Type "A" Automatic Trans Fluid. Is there a modern substitute to the type "A"?

I also removed the 2 5/16" bolts and exposed the rocker arms. How do you measure the clearance? Here's a photo:

h16 rocker arms.jpg

Thank you!

The box that you took the cover off of also comes of and you can rotate the engine crank shaft with your hand to Top dead center (TDC) the check the clearance between the Rocker arm and Valve stem with a Feeler gauge available at your Auto parts store im the manuel section of this fourm there is Vhttp://gardentractortalk.com/forums/files/file/1586-tecumseh-cast-iron-8-to-18hp-engine-manual/
ADJUSTING VALVES ON OVERHEAD VALVE
ENGINES. Remove the breather and top half of the
valve cover. Rotate the engine to Top Dead Center
of the compression stroke. Adjust the exhaust valve
to .010 (.254 mm) and .005 (.127 mm) for the intake
valve.
Assure that the locknut is loosened before attempting
to turn adjusting screw. After the locknut is loosened,
turn the adjusting screw with an open end wrench.
Turn adjusting screw clockwise to decrease clearance
and counterclockwise to increase clearance
For your Atf fluid I am using mercon JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL OF YOUR OLD ATF FLUID OUT i blew my lines out with air (the tractor was apart for lines and repair) personally i would call around and try to find some A Just to be safe
Cheers
Tyler

#9 bill1261 OFFLINE  

bill1261
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 01:52 AM

Thanks 8tyman8 and bolex. I can't wait to get started. Unfortunately, I have six solid days of work before I can get back at it. When I do,
I will post what I came up with. Thank you for your expertise! Sincerely, Bill.

#10 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 07:23 PM

you are very welcome . i downloaded the manual off of a free site and saved it to a cd so i can refer to it and print a page if i need to take some info out to the shop . my 1973 varies also in the fact that it has the early HH designation they used so it is somewhat more rare but the same basic tractor none the less and there are variations to the drivetrain and you should look for a manual for the same year just to be sure you're properly servicing it . someone on here may have the manual you need so stick around and enjoy the conversation :thumbs: