• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 11:35 PM

As I am ready to tear into my tractor I decided that the rear oil leak I have is from the outer gasket around the big piece just in from the wheels. The piece that the fender supports are bolted to. I have the new gasket in hand BUT... I was wrong! Now I see that the leak is from not the outside but the inside of that piece. Can someone tell me what the next gasket would be called so that I can see if mission has it. Secondly, if you have changed one out.. how big a job was it to get to and replace. I would like to fix this myself but am not mechanical so could call in my brother to fix it if I have to. What say you?
One more time,,, thank you guys for all the help! I love this site.
Mike

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 06:20 AM

I have a rough idea which seal your talking about but is there anyway you can take pics???

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:06 PM

I think I know what you are talking about. If I am correct, that is a seal and is probably pressed into place.

Download THIS manual. Even though it is for a different year the final drives are the same. What you are looking for is in part 2 of the download.

#4 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:10 PM

I don't have a way to mark on the photo but this is the rear of the tractor. It appears that the leak is coming from the connection that is located directly below where the battery ground cable attached to the tractor. The oil is leaking down and dripping off of the inside of (what I think is called) the bull gear housing. I presume that location is where the shaft from the rear end goes in and attaches to the bull gear. I hope this helps a bit. It is leaking pretty bad so I must fix. I am just wondering how big a job it is. I am not without skills but mechanics is not a strong point for me. You can single or double click for a better look at the photo. I will down load the manual and see what I can learn asap.
Thank you for any help you can provide.

Attached Thumbnails

• rear shot.jpg