Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
Wanted

Wtb: Bush Hog D4-7 Rhode Island (story Inside)

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 01:15 AM

Best wishes on finding this and don't give up hope.  Here's my story and I hope it will encourage you to hang on.  My Dad bought a MF 1650 new in 1978 with the mower, 3 point, front blade and a Scoop Tote.  He loved that tractor so much he bought a MF 1450 used and tried to get me to buy it from him.  At the time I couldn't afford to keep it in belts and hated timing the mower so I passed.  I wasn't crazy about the way it mowed.  What I loved was his 3 point and Scoop Tote, it was so handy.  Sadly he had a fire and lost his home so when he was moving to town he had an auction and sold his tractors.  I was there and had a wife and two small girls to support and couldn't afford to bid on the 1650.  I watched carefully to see who bought it and it was bought by a high school buddy's family.  A few years later my folks moved from town back out into the country.  Dad went to the widow of the one who purchased the 1650 and asked if she would sell it back to him and she refused.  She also loved this tractor.  Dad passed away about seven years ago and thoughts of getting the 1650 back seemed impossible as the lady was now around 80 years old and I really couldn't afford such a play toy having retired.   

Hang with me, this is when the better stuff comes in.  After I retired my wife was complaining about paying for insurance and license on three vehicles when there were only two of us.  The obvious one to get rid of was the 4wd as it had the most miles by far and the mpg wasn't great.  I said let's sell it and I'll buy a Johnny Bucket for my JD x320 to get out our long driveway in the winter.  She said ok.  Before I got the bucket bought I noticed a Snapper 1650 on ebay with a snow blower, it was a third of the price of the Johnny Bucket and looked almost identical to Dad's MF except no 3 point.  We bought it.  I told my wife I wanted to sell a few items I had laying around and restore it to look somewhat like Dad's old tractor.  Again, she said ok (yeah, I've been blessed with a great wife).   I thoroughly enjoyed restoring it and that made it special to me and I knew Dad would have approved.  Now if only it had that 3 point and Scoop Tote.  This Spring I was bored and looking through Craigslist and spotted another Snapper 1650 with 3 point at an insanely low price.  After a few hours I broke down and told my wife I really wanted to call about this tractor even though I had nothing to use the 3 point for.  Of course she said yes.  As I called I thought to myself it's got to be gone by now.  I called, I talked to the guy for a few moments as I asked if it was still available and he said yes.  We talked a while longer and I said I wanted it if he would hold it till the following morning when I could get there.  He said he'd hold it.  When I got there he said he'd had five calls before me but wanted it to go to someone who loved these tractors as much as he did.  Now if I only had a Scoop Tote and better yet if it were only Dad's.  I called my younger brother who still lived near the family who bought Dad's 1650.  My brother said the widow didn't get out much and he wasn't sure she still had it.  I knew where she lived out in the country and if I could just get her to open the door where I could tell her my name she'd recognize that her son and I were close friends in high school.   I had thought about contacting my old buddy but knew by reputation that you could no longer depend on him for such things.  I was also friends with his younger brother and had seriously thought of contacting him.  I went with the plan of loading up my restored tractor in the back of my pickup hoping she'd see that and get curious.  I thought she wasn't coming to the door (turns out she wasn't home).  That was in September and I gave up....for a while.  Then I had to take another crack at it so I called the younger brother.  When I mentioned the MF 1650 his words were "Mom traded it off several years ago to a dealer in a town 40 miles away for a Cub Cadet".  My heart sank.  "Except I think we kept that scoop"  I said you did?  His response was "well I'm not sure, I'll ask Mom".  Now the long wait....I thought.  Less than two weeks went by and he said "I found it".  We struck a deal ( he gave me the close friend price).  When I picked it up we renewed that old friendship and talked for hours.  He told me when asked his Mom she was quite sure she sold the scoop with the tractor because the dealer had wanted it.  My friend just had couldn't shake that he thought they kept it.  He found it in the loft over his garage. 

Yes this is a long story but I wanted you to hear the details so you understand that even if you lose hope like I did God can still work things out for you.  I long for the day you bring your tractor home.

Reg

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo0250.jpg
  • Photo0180.jpg

Edited by gtcsreg, May 19, 2014 - 01:25 AM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#62 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 12:23 PM

Thank you for sharing your story! Here's hoping this one shows up :)

#63 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 11:54 AM

August Bump! 

#64 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 03:20 PM

Still hoping somehow you find it Peter!

#65 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 09:37 AM

Thank you, so am I. I haven't found a single bush hog up here in 6 months. Attachments every now and then, but nothing like it was two years ago.

Still holding out hope!

#66 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Bump

• gtcsreg said thank you

#67 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 11:26 AM

Looking for a festivus miracle :)

• olcowhand, KennyP, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#68 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 11:46 AM

Bump again....hoping Titus finds his tractor!

#69 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 04:48 PM

There's one on Ebay in North Scituate, Rhode Island, might be worth a look.

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#70 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 05:12 PM

There's one on Ebay in North Scituate, Rhode Island, might be worth a look.

That one is a D4-10.  The one he's looking for is a D4-7.  Thanks just the same.....as we need as many eyes out as we can!   :thumbs:

• Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#71 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• Member No: 2691
  • 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 08:06 PM

Saw this in VT...

http://burlington.cr...4887796124.html

• olcowhand said thank you

#72 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 02, 2015 - 10:40 PM

Looks to be a great deal with all that comes with it. I  wish I was a lot closer.

It would be GREAT if it was the one that Peter is looking for !!

#73 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 07:57 AM

It would be GREAT if it was the one that Peter is looking for !!

It's a V4-7, not a D4-7. Still a nice looking tractor though and a fairly reasonable price too.

#74 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 03, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Thanks guys. I am looking for the D as in David D4-7. But that V series is very nice looking! Scott, go for it! But bring a shovel boy, this snow isn't stopping!

#75 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 10:09 AM

up. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted