Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Hey All! Been Mia For A While, But I Brought Photos!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Well, I have been missing for a while now.... You all know how life goes, eh? Last spring we moved to a new home and doing so, gained a really nice 7 bed-room Victorian, but lost a lot of land. In fact, I have to work hard to use the Massey to mow! It's "almost" easier to mow with a push mower in fact. But I will never sell her! A long tme back, I got a snow-blower from another member (I forget his ID, so if it's you... get in touch with me about that paint work.) Well, I had stripped and managed to get all the parts in primer, and was working on hand making the frame mount that was missing. This was a lot harder to do and I kinda stalled when we moved. Well, a month or so ago, Alex got in touch with me about selling one that he had. Luck would have it that it was the same early style that I had! More important, it had the frame mount! The deal was struck, and last weekend I picked it up at his place. It was missing a few minor parts, but had what I needed and I can easily make a super blower from what I have now!

I had not painted my head unit because I wanted to wait until the frame bracket was done... Now, it's to late to scramble and paint my parts, so for this season I will run the head unit I bought from Alex and have the other one painted up by next season. I did paint up some of the brackets in the flint gray metalic, like the PTO pedal bracket and a few others.

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

The other thing that has been bugging me is a long time ago, I pulled off my running boards and sandblasted them. (Those of you that remember... this was when I did all those parts for my hydo project!) I had been running some butched up ones from a parts tractor. These were really rough and had pieces cut out of them and everything! Well, I decided a few months back to buy a few cans of Flint Gray Metalic at the Massey dealer, and I painted them up. Today, when I had the spare ones off, I decided to spray the dash tower too. I did not get real fancy, but it looks a thousand times better now! The other thing that I have done, in the photos above you can see that I did manage to get that two-toned seat and the pan painted up. I am very impressed with the spray can's from Massey... I was able to get a great finish with them!

IMG_0362.JPG

I did get a little further than the photos show... I do have the belt's on the blower and it's running great. I want to paint up my chute from the other blower next weekend and use that on this blower. Other than that, all I need to do is to figure out the best way to mount the chute turnign handle. I think I will use a swivel rod end, but I need to see just where it will clear the lift handle.

One thing I could use a hand with is the height this goes up. If anyone has this style blower, how high can you lift it up? Also, if anyone has a photo of the arm under the tractor that lifts the mower deck, can you post it? I swapped ou the arm today and I am curious if I put it on wrong and that is a factor on the lift height. I am only able to get maybe an inch of movement. I know that on flat ground, there is no slop, in fact I had to trim the tube down a bit to get it to go all the way down!

Anyway, good to be back around a bit... and I thought you guys might like to see some photos!
  • olcowhand, caseguy, nova ss and 4 others have said thanks

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 08:58 PM

Good to hear from you again. Sounds like you'll be all ready for winter soon.
Sorry I can't help you with the info, you're lookin for.

I've been using the MF paint too. It's a bit more $, but I like how it applies, and seems to
be real tough, when dry.

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 08:59 PM

One problem solved from what it looks like! Thanks to a wonderful download of the manual posted here, I find that the snow blower lift connects directly to the lift handle, and not the jack shaft that lifts the mower deck! I have to remove the rod that connects the lift handle to the jack shaft and mount the snow blower lift directly to it. That should fix the height issue!

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Thanks, this blower was badly needed too! Our new place has a steep, up hill driveway and no where to put the snow at the bottom, except the road. With the blower, it will be a non-issue, but I will not be able to use the snow plow!

And the paint.... worth every penny!

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Looks great...glad you found yer way back

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 09:38 PM

FFEMT, glad to see you back on & good to hear you are getting into the new digs.

As for the chute turning rod, both Ryan's and DH1's mount under the dash. There are some pics of Doug's and Ryan's setups scattered in this thread, hope it helps.

http://gardentractor...20/#entry165409

#7 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 09:42 PM

Good to see you back posting, I remember reading a number of your posts when I first arrived last year. Excellent news on getting your blower parts.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 05:33 AM

Glad to hear from you.That looks great.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 06:53 AM

Glad to see you back! That blower should be a help this winter.

#10 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:40 AM

Thank's guys... it's good to be back! I think I will set the old chute on it today for now (just in case) and switch around that lift linkage. Should be interesting... I think I will have to either cut more off, or weld some back on to make it fit just right. I cut 1" off yesterday, but the tube that came with the second blower was about 6" shorter than the other one. But between a cut off wheel, and a welder... length is a non issue!

Once this is done, I need to get off my rear end and widen my shed door! The new place came with a nice little shed, but only has a standad door. My plan is to widen the opening, and use two 28" 6-panel pine door slabs with a roller track on the top. (like a sliding barn door) These will slide to each side and allow a nice looking, but easy to build door. I can't wait to get her in there... I feel so bad having it sit on the "porch" of the shed all summer!

This is my sad little shed, it looks rough... but it's old! All solid wood, right down to the roof boards!
I had just finished a little lawn work and build some raised bed gardens here. I will build a new, wider ramp when I make the doors wider. The plywood on the side is a boarded up window, I have installed a new window on the back, but need to replace them on the sides still. Just need to apply time!

4.JPG

I did gain a super sweet green-house moving here to make up for the loss of my super big 25'x50' garden plot. All glass and heated with natural gas to boot!

2.JPG

But the house itself is what makes it worth the move! It was built in 1891 and is very much original inside. The kitchen is all new (walls and all) plus the electrical has a new 200amp drop and has been rewired. Sadly, it only sits on 3/4 of an acre...

RT Front.jpg

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:03 AM

We're really glad to have you back FFEMT! Congrats on the new home and getting all settled in. The Massey's looking great and the blower will be a great addition through the winter. Thanks for catching us up!

#12 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 08:35 PM

Well, seeing as we had some snow the other day, I figured I should get this thing "working" if needed! I attached the last couple of parts for now, and it can move snow at the least. I still want to paint the chute and deflector, but for now I bolted on the old chute (less the top deflector) It took a bit to figure out the cable set up, but that is sorted out, and I have some nice new cable to put on this weekend.

IMG_0363.JPG

The next big step.... is to get the old girl into my shed! I am going to try to widen the door way so that she can be parked in there, and then work on building the track and dual sliding barn doors. I figure worst case, I can hang a tarp over the door way for now.

Oh... and I suppose I should get the loaded turf's and chains mounted to the tractor too, huh?

Edited by FirefyterEmt, November 09, 2012 - 08:37 PM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Looks good on there! If you turn the whole rig around and fire up the blower, I bet you could open up the doorway pretty easily... :D

Oh one thing I see, There are two bolts/studs that are supposed to hold the belt shield on. They also serve the purpose of keeping the belt in check & on the pulley. Without the studs, the belt might get in a bad place. In the manual, They show the studs in the 11:00 & 1:00 positions. On Ryan's, we found it worked well in the 1 & 5 positions, but what do we know? LOL

In this manual, it shows the studs pretty well on page "3".
  • FirefyterEmt said thank you

#14 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Good to see you back Lee, blowers looking good.

#15 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Ahhhh.... That does that too, huh! I just one that was on e-bay right for $20.00 shipped. I may need to hand build the bolts and studs, but with a lathe and welder... I think I can do it. I did have to play with the belt and adjustment a bit to keep the blower from spinning when off. That shield will stop that from spinning I bet.

Oh, and on another front... She's backed into the shed all nice and pretty! I managed to cut the door way out and will frame out the door way tomorrow. That in itself is SO nice to be able to just back her in there! Heck, I even hung a 4' shop light so that I have some lighting too. I have to really measure and check the door way, if I go with sliding doors that are mounted with a top track, I will be pushing it with the mower deck mounted. Granted, I may not use it again here to mow the lawn and it will just be stored. It is really much easier to mow with a push mower given the lawn here. If that is the case, I will take it apart, give it a fresh coat of paint, and hang it in the shed. But for now, the tractor and blower is in there, and I have a blue tarp covering the wide opening. It's getting late for November... I better really better get my game on and get this done!
  • MH81 said thank you