• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 01:27 PM

The combination of the 212cc Predator engine with a 5" pulley and the 81" belt is not going to work.  It has too much slack, and the belt sometimes leaves the pulley when I push the pedal to the braking zone.  When engaged, the the belt slips under heavy load, unless I lift up on the pedal, which lets the belt rub on itself.

My options are either a smaller belt or a bigger engine pulley.  Does anyone have any tips on how much of a larger puller or smaller belt?  A 5.5"  or 6" pulley will give me a higher ratio and more top end, but this tractor has low gears, including a creeper gear.

By my math, with half of the pulley's circumference touching the belt, a 5.5" pulley engages 0.8" more belt than a 5", and a 6" pulley engages 1.57" more belt than the 5". 

I'm doing this math because I think I can find a different pulley cheaper and more available than an 80" belt locally.  Any thoughts?

Here is a picture in daylight.

http://i253.photobuc...zps9938f0be.jpg

Edited by bja105, December 24, 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 02:20 PM

If I have this correct, a larger engine pulley will increase your ground speed. I wish you had taken the pic of the belt side of the tractor. That would help understand the situation better. If the clutch idler has plenty of clearance when the pedal is depressed, I'd jump to the 6" pulley. Then again, the 5.5" might get the job done.

#18 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 03:52 PM

Here is the pulley side, with the clutch/brake depressed.

http://i253.photobuc...zpsc16fc7e8.jpg

Directly on top of the idler pulley, the belt rubs on itself if I pull the pedal enough to sufficiently tighten the belt.

I broke down and ordered an 80" belt on Amazon, so changing the pulley is out, for now.  Hopefully this brand measures their belts the same way as the brand I have now.

I also ordered a push button kill switch.

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 04:01 PM

With that pic, I could see going to a 6" pulley. If you have a Tractor Supply close by, they have excellent belts for GT's!

#20 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Looks like you can also move the belt guard up some to if you need to when you put a bigger pully on,,

#21 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 02:27 PM

I would say this project has been a success.  I still have not gotten the smaller belt, but I have the too long belt working. 

We got snow Wednesday, and I had trouble with the belt coming off of the pulleys.  I with the engine all the way forward, the I had too much slack when I had the clutch/brake down enough to brake.  If I used the brake, usually the belt came off one or both pulleys.  The first pass, I pushed up the driveway onto the busy road, to turn around.  When I turned around, and shifted into reverse, the belt came off!  In the middle of the road, at a fast blind turn, I had to shut it off, put on the parking brake, put the belt back on, pull start it, and get off the road.  That process repeated a dozen times or more while I cleaned the two inches of snow.  I also didn't have enough tension on the belt, so that the belt would slip on the transmission pulley when I needed power, especially in reverse.

Expecting snow last night, I went out to look at my options, and saw that I could tighten the brake, so it brakes before I slacken the belt too much.  So I adjusted it all the way.  Today, It worked perfectly!  With the brake engaging sooner, I never had the belt come off.  I don't know why, but I didn't have any more belt slipping, either.

I cleared the driveway, but that wasn't enough fun for me.  So I did the walk, then I made a path for the dog, and a path to the chicken coop.  I pushed back the bank so the mail man can get to the mail box, then the neighbors box, too.  Still not satisfied, I cleared the next door neighbor's driveway, too.  Then I gave my three year old son a ride on my lap.

Now I wish I had a trailer, so I can do some driveways for my family.

Attached Thumbnails

• ford snow1.jpg

• Russ said thank you

#22 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 03:40 PM

Glad its working out for you an sure sounds like you are havein a ball,,, lol,, Sure glad we don't have any snow yet here in Corbin Ky. lol,,