• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Has anyone ever repowered a Ford 80, 100, 120, or a Jacobsen chief? I figure that for what I'll spend rebuilding the K-181, I can buy a different horizontal shaft engine, mount a pulley, and find a belt.

I don't need a PTO, just a moving tractor to work in the garden, pull a cart, and move snow. I don't mind pull starting it. I think a modern engine might use less fuel, too.

Any comments? Has anyone done this?

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Not really sure with the Fords but your idea makes alota sense....prob will burn less fuel..... good luck

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 11:39 AM

I haven't messed with much re-powering, but what you will find is that the older engines all had a vertical cylinder, and most every engine produced today has a cylinder that leans 45 degrees to the side. So, newer engines don't usually require the vertical distance the older ones did, but they are wider across. That said, a new package engine will replace the fuel tank, carb, and everything else, so putting in new engines can help resurrect a tractor with multiple issues.

#4 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Are all of these small engines of the same rotation? I don't see clockwise or counter clockwise listed in any of the specs. Thinking about it, I can't say what the rotation of the dead Kohler was, either. I would hate to have a tractor with only one forward speed, and I don't think three reverse speeds plus creeper would be all that useful in the garden.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:09 AM

This would be Sweet.
http://www.carrollst...t_p/cs186es.htm

Or an 11hp Honda clone
http://www.carrollst...art_p/cs182.htm

I've bought a couple of these Honda knock offs from here to repower a couple Tillers,snow blower and even a couple go-carts.He's easy to deal with and fast,well packed delivery.

If I had the funds that Diesel would be going into my little plow tractor.

Don't over power the reversing gear box on the side of the transaxle though.Those goofy cast iron pulleys are hard to find a replacement for to.The one on my old 100 split when I hit the curb with the plow.It had loaded tires and 2 sets of weights.Tires didn't slip at all and it had a new belt.She split the hub out of the center of the pulley.
  • Arti said thank you

#6 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:22 PM

I don't know what all I broke, but I might not have broke a rod, yet.

Posted Image

#7 Spartan OFFLINE  

Spartan

• Member No: 3450
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 02:07 PM

Has anyone ever repowered a Ford 80, 100, 120, or a Jacobsen chief? I figure that for what I'll spend rebuilding the K-181, I can buy a different horizontal shaft engine, mount a pulley, and find a belt.

I don't need a PTO, just a moving tractor to work in the garden, pull a cart, and move snow. I don't mind pull starting it. I think a modern engine might use less fuel, too.

Any comments? Has anyone done this?

I have rebuilt a k181 engine. Spent $130 on machine shop work and maybe $80-100 on parts. That is a lot cheaper than trying to modify a new engine to fit.

#8 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 07:59 PM

Most all horizontal shaft engines are CW rotation looking at the flywheel, CCW looking at the crank/PTO. I think it would be pretty easy to re-power an 80 with a new engine. Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool have engines for a few hundred dollars. You'd have plenty of room to work with, no starter/generator sticking out in front. Just have to get the drive pulley lined up with the trans. Maybe have to buy a different length drive belt.

#9 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I bought a Harbor Freight engine today, the 212 cc communist China Predator. Tractor supply has the pulley I need, then I'll drill some hole and mount it up. I might not need to change belt size.

The only problem I see is the muffler is under the hood, pointed back at the dash board. It is going to be noisy and stinky driving this thing is I don't put on a custom exhaust, which I would rather not do.

#10 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 09:19 PM

I have the new engine in (the Communist Block.) It runs! I am bad at drilling holes precisely, but I 'drilled it out and made it fit with a little bit of help from an adapter kit' singing "One Piece at a Time" all evening. I was able to rotate the muffler 90 degrees, blowing it to the side instead of into the dashboard. Draining the oil is going to be tough, so I need to add some pipe and a 90 to the oil drain.
I need a longer belt than the stock one, but I might be close with one in the pile of wrong belts I have from other machines.
I also need to hook up the throttle cable and figure out a kill switch, maybe something using the ignition switch.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 05:34 AM

Sounds like you are making progress. Got any pics?

#12 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 09:43 PM

I got the throttle cable hooked up tonight, it was super easy, the Predator comes with hardware on the throttle lever for either cable or lever operation. I also ground down a carriage bolt to fit along the frame for the engine mount. I lost a bolt somewhere. I removed the wiring harness, solenoid, and voltage regulator.

I still haven't found a belt. The 5/8" x78" is too short, the 5/8" x 84 is too long. I'll be at TSC looking for a 81" tomorrow.

Does anyone know where I can buy a kill switch over the counter? I don't want to pay shipping if there is a store that has one locally.

I'll get pics soon. Hopefully I get a belt soon, since we expect snow this weekend, and its my only snow plowing tractor at home.

When this is done, I should have a K-181, PTO parts, and electrical parts for sale.

#13 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:05 PM

It drives!
The 81" belt works, but I would rather have an 80. I might add a second idler just to keep the slack off of the sheet metal belt guard when the clutch is in.
I took it for a test drive in a downpour, everything works. The hood even fits without touching anything.
The only thing I have yet to do is add a kill switch. I haven't figured a way to use the ignition switch.
I'll get some pictures later, and maybe snow pushing pictures Saturday.

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Thats great news! Glad you have it up and running! Can you get us some pics of how it went in?

#15 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Here are a few pics, in the dark garage. I'll get better pics in the daylight.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I turned the muffler (almost) 90 degrees to get the exhaust out the side.
Posted Image

Under the fuel line is the throttle linkage. It is set up to easily attach a cable.
Posted Image
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you