• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 02:04 PM

I was just in the woods, and was shocked with how many branches where stuck into the ground! I am sure you have all seen them, impaled in the dirt. Next time you see one, pull it out and see how far it was stuck into the ground. Then try and jab it into the ground that far. Most of the time, they will be stuck MUCH farther in then how far in you can stick them. Imagine how much force they are falling with, and how much damage they could do to you, or your property, or your tractors. If you have a dead tree, or a tree with a dead limb please take it down! I do not want to hear that you, or something you own got hit with a falling branch. The same thing goes for dead trees, please take them down before they fall.

I know I should have posted this before the storm came.
  • mjodrey, caseguy and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 04:33 PM

I would like to see pics please....lol. you are very right however I have seen this myself....imagine a stick can do that without breaking off on impact......no thanks......ouch

#3 freebird OFFLINE  

freebird
  • Member No: 10733
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 04:46 PM

Look what happened here a week or so ago...bent the steering support.Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by freebird, November 03, 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 05:29 PM

Took two down today. We have a few more tall dead trees, going to take those out tomorrow at some point. Shame to see they fell on the tractors though. During the hurricane, we had one tree fall opposite the shed with my tractors in it, very thankful for that!

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 10:30 PM

About 2 weeks ago, I was out cutting a trail in the bush. This big pine I went past, lost a few limbs
last Dec. in a ice/snow storm. It's about 4 ft at the base, and about 170ft high. You can't really see it,
but in the first pic is a 9 inch diameter limb, stabbed into the ground. I could see where it broke off, about
120 ft up. Judging by the break, that limb is stuck in the ground, about 2ft.
I think, the only thing a hard hat would help with, is keeping the blood off the limb.

P1010268.JPG
P1010265.JPG

#6 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 11:25 PM

Happens here on my place all too often. Usually it's the Norway maples but I've found decent sized white pine "spears" standing up in the front yard. I try not to mow on windy days (Wifey usually reminds me if it's windy enough...), but I'm also a "fatalist" waiting for my roll of the dice regardless of my "point". If I lived my life worrying about that kind of stuff I'd find too many more things to worry myself about and stay in the recliner in front of the TV... And, if it's "my time" I'll go watching TV. Don't worry, be happy any way you can. Like Chicken Little finally said, "I just don't look up anymore.":D

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,598 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Really! How many deer have you seen with branches sticking out of them? And if you cut down all the dead trees, your going to have to put up plastic trees for the woodpeckers.
  • twostep said thank you

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 11:59 AM

LOL, Ok, I know this is really not a laughing matter, but the turn of subject took me by surprise. I was going to add my own story about putting pine straw around bushes yesterday, and having a springy branch rip my glasses off my face. Took forever to find them, turned out they had gone BEHIND me! Lucky I didn't step on them, I was crawling around on hands and knees poking at the pine straw, looking in the trailer.......

#9 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 12:23 AM

:D I had my glasses "branched off" once while running from ground bees while metal detecting. Lucky my buddy was not wearing his headphones at the time and head me cussing... He found them for me.

Ground stabbers is one of the many Widow Makers you hope will miss you if you spend much time falling trees. You can't spot 'em all!
  • Team_Green said thank you

#10 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:11 AM

I thought one of the $2000 hearing aids was removed removed by a branch while mowing near some low hanging pine branches. Spent about an hour crawling around under the trees before going to the house to find it laying on the dresser where they get put when I take them out before going to bed. The wife thought it was funny, me not so much.

As far as the falling branches and trees, no one is promised tomorrow.

Edited by GTTinkerer, November 05, 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#11 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Ground stabbers is one of the many Widow Makers you hope will miss you if you spend much time falling trees. You can't spot 'em all!

I'm more worried about barber chairing trees.. Standing dead can be very dangerous. The branches are the least of my worries..

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,598 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:01 PM

:D I had my glasses "branched off" once while running from ground bees while metal detecting.

You just can't make this stuff up! :bigrofl:

#13 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 12:45 AM

You just can't make this stuff up! :bigrofl:

That's exactly what my buddy sez! But, at least I didn't fall waist deep through the cat ice on a frozen stream! Entertainment is where you find it!:D
  • GTTinkerer said thank you