LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 07:06 AM

According to the video, this rail bridge in Durham, NC gets smacked about once a month.

http://autos.aol.com...nk3&pLid=229357

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 07:14 AM

It's funny,but that happens more times than you'd think.

Edited by mjodrey, November 03, 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 07:19 AM

We've got an underpass in the city here that gets hit a lot. Straight trucks and short trailers get through okay, but 53 foot standard vans bridge the dip at the bottom and lose about 18 inches of space.

#4 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 11:08 AM

What is really priceless is that there is a huge overhead sign, blinking lights and all. And yet they keep hitting it. Doh!

We have a low- underpass railroad bridge here in town, and I have seen a few trucks stuck under it. The I - beams and related structure are bent up a bit , and have plenty of rubbed - off paint on them. I just shake my head.....

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 11:53 AM

And this is the bridges fault how? If you read the article it sounds liek the bridge is at fault.

There is a railroad crossing in Kings Mountain NC that in the past 3 years has had 8 trucks get caught on it. It says all over the place no trucks. And yet the idiot drivers from the local yarn mill get stuck constantly and the poor Amtrak train has hit nearly all of the truck that have been stuck. They finally closed the crossing. I think stationing an officer with a shotgun near the crossing would be more effective and wouldn't be near the headache of having to drive around town to cross the tracks.

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 02:53 PM

It's never the bridge's fault. It's either the fault of misleading/erroneous signage or careless drivers. Sometimes both.

The best excuse I've heard for a driver hitting a bridge was, "Usually I drive a flat deck." Okay, the guy wasn't used to worrying about height. Guess he hauls low loads too. Of course you'd think he'd be paying more attention if he's doing something unfamiliar to him.

My favourite is the city worker here who whacked a bridge in a dump truck. He was driving around with the box half-raised. No explanation as to why was offered, but I heard through the grapevine that he was a supervisor (not in the union) with 20 years experience and will face no disciplinary action other than a fairly minor traffic fine.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 04:21 PM

There was a semi truck w/ dump trailer headed west On I-88 in the Chicago suburbs. Supposedly the PTO was on and the driver didn't know the box was creeping up until he squarely hit an overpass. Took out half the bridge. That is kissing the windshield!!!

Edited by LilysDad, November 03, 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#8 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 04:27 PM

lol....I seen that on Spike, one of those worlds dumbest episodes.....they say theres so many warnings and cautions posted because that bridge gets hit so much....wouldn't it be easier to raise the height....if its been there this long it prob needs rebuilt anyway....plain and simple, ya can't fix stupid!!

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 04:42 PM

There was a driver in Tulsa just recently did that. The City estimated the damage at $460,000.

#10 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Saw a picture once of a service truck that had gone into a covered bridge with the boom extended, made it about halfway through! :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 08:23 PM

That happened in Des Moines a couple weeks ago. Guy was hauling an Excavator on a trailer. the boom Knocked one of the support beams out from under the tressel.
The beam fell on top of an SUV crushed it right behind the drivers seat and it took an hour to cut the driver out. She spent a night in the hospitol and got out with minor injuries.
The driver of the truck was cited for not having a valid CDL and failure to heed warning signs.
It took 4 days to put the tressel back together.

#12 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 08:29 PM

My father is a trucker and I was heading on a milk run one day. We were coming to a rail-road bridge on a back road and there was a box truck before us. The truck got the top clipped off but kept going. My dad knew we would hit it full on if that guy clipped it so we headed back. Moral of the story, always let a truck close to your height of the vehicle your driving go first. If he hits it, you will.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 08:38 PM

lol....I seen that on Spike, one of those worlds dumbest episodes.....they say theres so many warnings and cautions posted because that bridge gets hit so much....wouldn't it be easier to raise the height....if its been there this long it prob needs rebuilt anyway....plain and simple, ya can't fix stupid!!

I don't know that it would be all that easy to raise the bridge, especially with a railroad tressel where they would have to start a couple miles back in either direction to raise the grade to raise the tressel. When I 80 was designed in the 50's all bridges were designed so the military could move their largest ballistic missles across the country.
Now Trinity Towers, makers of windmill towers has moved into the old Maytag factory. To haul towers east they have to go down HWY 14 over the interstate and down the ramp because the overpass at the 168 is too low for them to go under. I ould bet you could not move military missles down 80 because they have gotten too big.

#14 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 08:51 PM

I did not know that. Thats very interesting....pretty cool

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 12:16 AM

Years ago (back when I had hair :D ) I worked for a sign company. They had a small Sky Hook mounted on an international truck. Two guys were in the truck out in the middle of nowhere SD. cruising down the hi-way with the boom up when they met an oncoming railroad bridge. You should have seen what it did to the truck frame. From the back of the cab rearward it looked like the truck was going up hill. The front of the truck looked like it was going down hill. Didn't do the boom much good either. Did the company learn anything from this? Not. :wallbanging: The next episode with a boom truck was tearing down about a mile of cable TV trunk line. Didn't damage the truck but it made a real mess out of a lot of cable and poles. Made a lot of friends at the cable company too. :mad2: After that they installed switches under the boom saddles and big flashing lights on the dash. If you started the truck with the boom up you got a real light show in your face. That ended the fun. :dancingbanana:
  • MH81 said thank you