Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Chance To Grab Two Early 60s Wheel Horse Any Thoughts....

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:47 PM

That is both of them. The first two photos are of one and the last two are of the second. The WH on the pallet has a tecumseh motor the one on the grass has the craftsman. Not sure what the original motor was. But both have decks and I have the plow blade but not the under carriage for it. But I'm not complaining.

#17 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:53 PM

That is both of them. The first two photos are of one and the last two are of the second. The WH on the pallet has a tecumseh motor the one on the grass has the craftsman. Not sure what the original motor was. But both have decks and I have the plow blade but not the under carriage for it. But I'm not complaining.

If you could get some better pics of the one with the turf tires I could tell you what that one is.~Jake
  • Gfann said thank you

#18 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:59 PM

WOW! You made a very good deal for those 2 WH's!

#19 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 08:08 PM

If you could get some better pics of the one with the turf tires I could tell you what that one is.~Jake

Sure will, any info is appreciated.

#20 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 12:37 PM

Here are all the picturesI took this morning. Lot of surface rust but the metal is still rigid. All the moving parts are too dried out and gunky to move so the tractors are more less in a state of rigor mortis. I see the plow blade doesn't have an under mount the plow bracket is on the from of the one tractor flipped up, and both have a mower deck. They both look to me like they are same tractor. The one does still have its decal that says Wheel Horse Suburban.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02809.JPG
  • DSC02810.JPG
  • DSC02811.JPG
  • DSC02812.JPG
  • DSC02813.JPG
  • DSC02814.JPG
  • DSC02815.JPG
  • DSC02816.JPG
  • DSC02817.JPG
  • DSC02819.JPG
  • DSC02820.JPG
  • DSC02821.JPG
  • DSC02822.JPG
  • DSC02823.JPG
  • DSC02824.JPG
  • DSC02825.JPG

#21 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 05:54 PM

both tractors are 60 400's you sure did good on the price of those! If you want to go original be on the look out for some kohler k91's. DO NOT lose that shield for the exaust, when on ebay they go for about 125-150 dollars. What are your plans for these tractors? ~Jake

#22 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 07:16 PM

What are your plans for these tractors? ~Jake

Well, I really shouldn't keep both, I don't have the space. I really shouldn't keep either one of them actually. But I sort of need money. I bought them basically to flip. But depending on much I can sell one for will decide whether or not I keep the other one probably. I would like to keep the one with the plow. I could sell the other one with the craftsman motor if your interested. I live in NE Ohio.

#23 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:37 PM

If you don't want them, I know of someone in toledo That I think is looking for one of these but I don't know if he still is. If you don't want them I will let him know. but if you do, I won't say anything. ~Jake

#24 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 09:20 PM

If you don't want them, I know of someone in toledo That I think is looking for one of these but I don't know if he still is. If you don't want them I will let him know. but if you do, I won't say anything. ~Jake

You can let him know. I might sell both if the price is good or just one if he wants it.

#25 whst400 OFFLINE  

whst400
  • Member No: 10929
  • 25 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 10:56 PM

Both of these tractors are 1960 models. It was the only year that used those levers for engine controls. Even though one no longer has the controls in place the square cut out in the hood was for that style controls.
Wheel horse built two models in 1960. The 400ST and the 550ST. Most of the 400s used a Kohler K91T, with some using Clintons. They were all four horsepower with retractable starters.
The 550ST used a Lauson 5.5 horsepower that had both retractable and electric starters. The battery for the 550ST was mounted in the underseat toolbox, as was the solenoid. It had a switch mounted in the "dash" area of the hood (the narrow, flat area that the steering shaft goes through). From what I can see in your pics I know that the one with the Tecumseh engine is a 550ST that has been repowered. The other one may also be a 550ST, but I think it is more likely a 400ST that has been repowered. It obviously has had a battery in the toolbox for the battery ignition of the current engine, but I see no holes in the left fron of the toolbox to indicate that it had a solenoid mounted at the factory. The toolbox and fenders were standard on the 550ST and an option on the 400ST, but a large number of the 400STs had that option. The 400ST was introduced before the 550St and had no holes in the dash area of the hood for mounting an ignition switch (engine shutoff was by pulling the throtle all the way to the rear which grounded the ignition lead to the hood). After the 550ST was brought out Wheel horse began putting holes in for the switches and the unused holes on the 400STs were closed off with a chrome plated plug. If your hood has either no hole or a hole with a plug in it then it is more than likely a 400ST. Here's a pic of an early 400ST hood with no hole. It belongs on the 400ST my dad bought in 1960. I've had it since 1995.
Posted Image
BTW, Tecumseh built engines for Craftsman back then. Your engine may be a Tecumseh with a Craftsman shroud put on it. The numbers on the engine itself will tell you which it is.

Edited by whst400, November 05, 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#26 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 06:48 AM

Most of the 400s used a Kohler K91T, with some using Clintons.

I have never seen a clinton on a suburban? the rj58/59's used them?

#27 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Great photos.I say good deal you got.

#28 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 07:52 AM

Both of these tractors are 1960 models. It was the only year that used those levers for engine controls. Even though one no longer has the controls in place the square cut out in the hood was for that style controls.
Wheel horse built two models in 1960. The 400ST and the 550ST. Most of the 400s used a Kohler K91T, with some using Clintons. They were all four horsepower with retractable starters.
The 550ST used a Lauson 5.5 horsepower that had both retractable and electric starters. The battery for the 550ST was mounted in the underseat toolbox, as was the solenoid. It had a switch mounted in the "dash" area of the hood (the narrow, flat area that the steering shaft goes through). From what I can see in your pics I know that the one with the Tecumseh engine is a 550ST that has been repowered. The other one may also be a 550ST, but I think it is more likely a 400ST that has been repowered. It obviously has had a battery in the toolbox for the battery ignition of the current engine, but I see no holes in the left fron of the toolbox to indicate that it had a solenoid mounted at the factory. The toolbox and fenders were standard on the 550ST and an option on the 400ST, but a large number of the 400STs had that option. The 400ST was introduced before the 550St and had no holes in the dash area of the hood for mounting an ignition switch (engine shutoff was by pulling the throtle all the way to the rear which grounded the ignition lead to the hood). After the 550ST was brought out Wheel horse began putting holes in for the switches and the unused holes on the 400STs were closed off with a chrome plated plug. If your hood has either no hole or a hole with a plug in it then it is more than likely a 400ST. Here's a pic of an early 400ST hood with no hole. It belongs on the 400ST my dad bought in 1960. I've had it since 1995.
BTW, Tecumseh built engines for Craftsman back then. Your engine may be a Tecumseh with a Craftsman shroud put on it. The numbers on the engine itself will tell you which it is.

Wow lot's of info. I'll have to give the engines a look see and try to find the numbers and post them. I'm curious about the craftsman now. I can say that the craftsman engine sets shorter then the Tecumseh engine. The Tecumseh engine is actually to high for the tractor because the hood was raised about a half inch with a small piece of wood under the hood (where is sets on the frame) and the steering column hole was cut larger to accommodate the raised hood. So, that being said, that engine definitely wasn't original. I can say that the craftsman tractors has components that suggest it had an electric start at some point.

#29 whst400 OFFLINE  

whst400
  • Member No: 10929
  • 25 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 10:21 AM

I have never seen a clinton on a suburban? the rj58/59's used them?

Wheel Horse engine spec number sheets list a Clinton as one of the engins used on the 400 and the (1961) 401. I've seen a few pics of some 400STs with Clintons, but no 401STs.

#30 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 11:08 AM

Wow that's a pair of nice old NUT roasters.