Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Chance To Grab Two Early 60s Wheel Horse Any Thoughts....

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:54 PM

I know a guy offering to sell me two wheel Horses that look just like this one. The image is of a WH like them but not that actual tractors. I can say that one wheel horse has a mower deck and one has a plow. They are seemingly complete for what they are and as old as they are. Both have their transmission and engines the owners says the engines are no good but I've heard that before. I think they're just jammed up with crude and rust but probably salvageable. He shot me a price but I wanted to get a sense of value for these I've never dealt with Wheel horses before. He said $400. I'm considering that the engines don't work the mechanical stuff is fixable, What would the value be without engines and if I had to end up piecing out to recoup, is $400 is doable.

Attached Thumbnails

• horse1.jpg

#2 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 12:04 AM

If they are complete I will split it with ya. Can you get any pics?.

Jack..

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 05:11 AM

FOR BOTH???? you better grab em!! if that's his price for both even "non-running" your gettin a great deal....I'd pay that for ONE of them not running. In my area wheelhorses are everywhere. The problem is finding one as old as the ones your looking at. Now that style is near impossible......

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 09:59 AM

Probably a fair price. The front blades are hard to come by and a working mower deck is too. Make sure that you put up some pics when you get them home!

#5 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 12:09 AM

I'm picking up the tractors tomorrow, I'll be sure to post some pictures for everyone to enjoy. I can't wait. I've been looking at those types of wheel horse tractors they are unique. I'm not quit clear on the reasoning for having the engine set so far in I'm sure there was a reason for it. Perhaps you guys know. It would definitely put the motor right up on the transmission was there an advantage to it? More power maybe? They have a four speed transmission, anyone know the speed range for these guys?

#6 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 12:19 AM

The way I understand it is this was a simple conversion from a walk-behind to a ride-on tractor. If you step back and take a look (or an imaginary sawzall to just in front of the engine) you can see that coud be the case.
  • Gfann said thank you

#7 JakeKuhn ONLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:50 AM

if they are rj's or suburbans, (with the motors on the rear, not front of tractor) They would be worth the 400. There getting very hard to find lately. ~Jake

#8 JakeKuhn ONLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:53 AM

I'm picking up the tractors tomorrow, I'll be sure to post some pictures for everyone to enjoy. I can't wait. I've been looking at those types of wheel horse tractors they are unique. I'm not quit clear on the reasoning for having the engine set so far in I'm sure there was a reason for it. Perhaps you guys know. It would definitely put the motor right up on the transmission was there an advantage to it? More power maybe? They have a four speed transmission, anyone know the speed range for these guys?

the had put the motor in the rear because cecil designed a 4 wheel tractor that was a walk behind conversion in 1955 then they realized they worked very well for plowing and people enjoyed them the only downfall was no weight in the front so they offered weights to mount on the front. later on they changed to motors in the front of the tractor. Here is a picture of one of those weights

Posted Image
  • Gfann said thank you

#9 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:40 AM

And Jake just got that weight last week for his birthday! :thumbs:
  • JakeKuhn said thank you

#10 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:49 AM

The way I understand it is this was a simple conversion from a walk-behind to a ride-on tractor. If you step back and take a look (or an imaginary sawzall to just in front of the engine) you can see that coud be the case.

I can see it, makes sense. I've been reading up on Wheel horse and I understand that Speedex and Wheel horse or Cousin tractors of sorts. I thought that was a fun-fact sense I just bought an old S-17 speedex about a week ago.

#11 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:55 AM

Here is a picture of one of those weights

Posted Image

That thing looks huge at first glance but as you look at it, it seems like it's probably not quit as big as it seems. Is it a 25 pounder?

#12 JakeKuhn ONLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 05:56 PM

That thing looks huge at first glance but as you look at it, it seems like it's probably not quit as big as it seems. Is it a 25 pounder?

its pretty small. I would say it weighs 50-60 lbs

#13 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't get to the tractors early enough to get home and shoot more pictures before it got dark but I did shoot a few when I picked them up. He had one more Wheel horse tractor in his front yard as decoration but he wouldn't sell it. Bummer! Now for the exciting part. I have to confess something to you guys, I didn't want to say how much I was getting these for IDK I guess I'm paranoid. I actually got booth these tractors for one hundred smackers.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02805.JPG
  • DSC02808.JPG
  • DSC02806.JPG
  • DSC02807.JPG

#14 JakeKuhn ONLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:35 PM

wow what a deal! Those are my favorite style wheel horse there is. my dad and I have about 25 rj and suburban wheel horses. The first rougher looking one is a 1960 suburban 400. Looks like all is there other than the throttle cables and the correct motor would be a 4 hp kohler but that one will work fine unless you want to be original. Get some pics of the other one tomorrow and I can tell you what it is.

great deal! :thumbs:

Edited by JakeKuhn, November 04, 2012 - 07:47 PM.

• Gfann said thank you

#15 JakeKuhn ONLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 07:46 PM

wow what a deal! Those are my favorite style wheel horse there is. my dad and I have about 25 rj and suburban wheel horses. The first rougher looking one is a 1960 suburban 400. Looks like all is there other than the throttle cables and the correct motor would be a 4 hp kohler but that one will work fine unless you want to be original. Get some pics of the other one tomorrow and I can tell you what it is.

great deal! :thumbs:

(sorry I hit the quote button by accident instead of hitting edit.)

Edited by JakeKuhn, November 04, 2012 - 07:48 PM.