• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:21 PM

I need to put headlights in a few more of my tractors, currently only the diesel has them. I bought those at a local farm store and they are not very bright so I'm thinking of upgrading those.

Searching this forum and the web I figured out these are actually 12V PAR 36 "can" lamps, often used for outdoor lighting, etc. They are often avialable in 11, 36, and the 50W seem to be the thing to have for our tractors. There some different light patterns available though and I just wonder if somebody can give some insight there?

I have a friend that has a cushman police meter maid truck, which he says uses a 36/50W high/low version of that light but he'd have to tear it apart to get numbers. If anybody can comment on that, I'm going to dig on the web.

I was also saddened to find out massey no longer has any headlight brackets left and very little of the rubber edging... So I'll be having a cad program made up soon and running off a batch on the plasma table. As for the rubber edgingI'm up for suggestions.

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:26 PM

Make up some extra brackets while your at it.

Try snowmobile windshield trim, for edging. Maybe, heat it, to form it as you go.

#3 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 10:01 PM

I was planning on cutting an entire sheet of them. I am not sure what else I can say on this forum about that so if a mod wants to step in without me getting in trouble...it would be appreciated.

The rubber trim actually holds the lights in place tight, they do not rattle or move. So I think rubber is the only suitable material.

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, November 02, 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 04:54 AM

As for the rubber edging,I use vacuum tubing split down the middle.It works for me.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 05:23 PM

I was planning on cutting an entire sheet of them. I am not sure what else I can say on this forum about that so if a mod wants to step in without me getting in trouble...it would be appreciated.

I ran it past the staff and we all think that as long as you put together an ad for the classified section to sell them, it would be OK. You may also write up a post that points to the ad with a link if you wish. Keep in mind that if this becomes an ongoing "business" type enterprise, we may have to revisit the issue then, but if you're just making up some extras while making a set for yourself, then we're good with it :D

The rubber trim actually holds the lights in place tight, they do not rattle or move. So I think rubber is the only suitable material.

I also did a little poking around on the net and found this site where you may find something that will work for the rubber portion. Check it out and let us know what you think.
  • MF10 DIESEL said thank you

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Another way to do it is like this.
Headlights 004.jpg Headlights 005.jpg Headlights 002.jpg

http://gardentractor... lights__st__15

#7 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 11:24 PM

I ran it past the staff and we all think that as long as you put together an ad for the classified section to sell them, it would be OK. You may also write up a post that points to the ad with a link if you wish. Keep in mind that if this becomes an ongoing "business" type enterprise, we may have to revisit the issue then, but if you're just making up some extras while making a set for yourself, then we're good with it :D

I also did a little poking around on the net and found this site where you may find something that will work for the rubber portion. Check it out and let us know what you think.

I'm going to try this as an experiment to see how much demand there would be. If there was enough than I may consider expanding into something more.

Tried that link and can't get it to work.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 04:10 PM

...Tried that link and can't get it to work.

Sorry. I tried the link before I hit "post". I don't know what happened, but it certainly wasn't working. I just fixed it and tried it and it worked. It seems I'm having some trouble with linking stuff lately?!?!