5 replies to this topic

#1 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:16 PM

Well today I was using my 2414 and the blade to push leaves up in a pile I was bringing in with my 1620 and lawn sweeper and was pushing a little to hard I guess. I kept hearing a weird sound and after a while I realized it was upon releasing the clutch each time. I cut her off and every time I press on the clutch with my hand while listening its like I can hear some kind of grinding noise. It seems to function just fine though so if I need it for the rest of the fall I'm going to use it but I'm gonna pull the engine this winter in the garage. What all should I look at and do while the engines out besides paint?

Edited by farmer, November 02, 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:34 PM

Sounds like a throwout bearing/bushing to me. Likely not the engine at all. Have you had any issues with the engine, using oil, pecking sounds....anything? I would look at the clutch first for sure.
  • farmer said thank you

#3 icpik OFFLINE  

icpik

• Member No: 8205
  • 21 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:44 PM

New points, clean carb. Should be able to set points without running engine. Possibly check head, but you will need a gasket. Replace belt and add a spare.

Leaves? I thought you got snow last week.

Don Hayes
  • farmer said thank you

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:45 PM

hi farmer , i would do what most of us would do, i would check the classifieds on gttalk for that next tractor you will be telling your wife you must have because your other in broken and you just found a once in a lifetime deal on one. i have found this excuss is usually good for 3-4 extra tractors. im trying to think of a new one now but untill then i am putting my new buys in the barn next door . these deals only come along once in a while ha ha ha !!! good luck farmer john
  • olcowhand, Farmlife and farmer have said thanks

#5 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:51 PM

hi farmer , i would do what most of us would do, i would check the classifieds on gttalk for that next tractor you will be telling your wife you must have because your other in broken and you just found a once in a lifetime deal on one. i have found this excuss is usually good for 3-4 extra tractors. im trying to think of a new one now but untill then i am putting my new buys in the barn next door . these deals only come along once in a while ha ha ha !!! good luck farmer john

That probably would've worked but I bought a 1620 and a 64 economy in the last 2 months so that's not gonna work Lol. Its something in the clutch for sure but I've never had one apart. I've installed new points and rebuilt the carb in the last 6 months so I guess the main thing to do is replace that stupid link belt with 2 new belts.

#6 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:44 PM

I agree....use this as an excuse to buy another......If it were me I would go over every part of that engine I could while it was out, mainly for the reason that when it's out....everything is just so much easier to fix, see, etc..... good luck and yes I agree with olcowhand, sounds like a throwout bearing, same thing happen to me with my wheelhorse
  • farmer said thank you