• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have been looking for an engine powered welder. In my welding class, there is a small kohler powered Lincoln that sits in the front of the shop. It belongs to the teacher and not the school, so for laughs I asked if it was for sale. He said I was a great student, and I could have it! Just kidding... but wouldn't that be great? LOL! He told me if I am really serious about welding and doing fabrication outside of school (which you guys see I am) I should find myself a unit that can weld in DC, like a used Lincoln Ranger; he said that would probably be perfect for me.

I have looked around a bit, and they seem like a very well built machine! Plus, not only would it give me a good quality stick welder, but I would also have a very good size generator, much bigger then the 20 year old 4000 watt one I use now!

Does anybody here have now, or used to have one of the ranger series welders? Does anybody have any advice for me?

#2 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I've never used one but just about anything built by Lincoln or Miller is going to be of good quality. If you find one take some 7018 1/8" rod and skil saw to try out the weld w/ DC and power functions. If the engine is hard starting cold or blows blue smoke they are good bargaining points.
Mike

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 10:20 PM

I have had several engine drives and the last was a Miller Blue Star. The thing that I really appreciated about it was when running it on the auxiliary power setting it put out full power at just above idle. Having 3500 watts available without listening to a screaming engine was very nice.
Otherwise as Mike said either Miller or Lincoln would be a wise investment. AC and DC is a big plus. Beware that many of the smaller units do not have an auto idle circuit so they run at high speed until you turn them down manually.
Good luck in your search.
  • Alc said thank you

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 10:42 AM

We have four rangers at work. 3 of them are ranger 8,000 models and one is a newer 10,000. Two of the older ones have Onan engines and the two newest have Kohler Commands on them. They have been fantastic welders and are abused thoroughly on a daily basis. The Ranger series have the auto idle feature standard, are AC /DC machines, and have a 220 Volt receptacle (Dryer style) in addition to the two 120 Volt ones. I would, without hesitation, recommend this model! As mentioned above, I would take some devices and rod with to test all of the functions and features before purchasing. If any don't work or don't work properly, that's a place to save a buck or two! I actually prefer the older 8,000 units because the current ranges are smaller and there are more of them. The 10,000 unit is good too, just a personal preference of a mild control freak LOL.
  • Cvans said thank you

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 12:30 PM

just a personal preference of a mild control freak

Control is the name of the game when welding. This is the sole reason I prefer the Miller buzz boxes over the Lincoln. Infinite amperage control.
  • caseguy said thank you

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 03:39 PM

Lincoln does offer the option of infinite control, but it usually has to be ordered. My MIG welder is a Lincoln with infinite controls (180C {continuous} Vs. 180T {tapped}) I have welded with Miller equipment also and have no complaints about the performance of it. I actually first started welding on a Miller "Blue Angel" portable outfit. The Fab shop at work has all Miller equipment also. My only issue with Miller's stuff is the initial cost. For a price comparable to the Lincoln equipment, you can pick up a Hobart unit. They are made by Miller and have a lot of interchangeable parts.

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 04:08 PM

Thanks guys! All good advice! What do you think the best bet for finding one is? Other then posting ads on the surrounding Craigslist areas and if I get lucky eBay I don't know where I could find one.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 04:13 PM

That's a good question Ryan. They're used in industrial applications usually, so I guess I'd keep an eye on local auctions. Watch for businesses that are closing up. Your Boss may have some ideas too.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,520 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 11:55 PM

Mention it to everyone you meet and tell them to pass the word. Most of us who dabble in these garden tractors know this can produce some good results.

Steve you bringing up Hobart stirs an old memory. Wasn't long after Miller acquired Hobart that I heard that Hobart was going to be Miller's Box store brand name , meaning less exspensive. Also Miller was going to run copper windings while Hobart would use aluminum windings in their welders. This would be the easiest way to reduce their production cost. I have not thought to check the service ratings on comparable welders to see if this is true.
Have you heard this?

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:43 AM

If you are using a welder, especially an older one, as a generator, do not plug in your battery charger for cordless tools. They have a tendency to blow the circuit boards...generally an expensive fix. They work great for tools without circuit boards though.
  • caseguy and Ryan313 have said thanks

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 09:47 AM

...Steve you bringing up Hobart stirs an old memory. Wasn't long after Miller acquired Hobart that I heard that Hobart was going to be Miller's Box store brand name , meaning less exspensive. Also Miller was going to run copper windings while Hobart would use aluminum windings in their welders. This would be the easiest way to reduce their production cost. I have not thought to check the service ratings on comparable welders to see if this is true.Have you heard this?

No, but it would make sense. Thanks for sharing the info.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 02:50 PM

Ryan, Don't hesitate to ask at a Welders Supply store. A lot of Pro Welders are always looking for the next big gimick and trade in very good welders to get the newest thing out there. You can sometimes find a good buy in the back room.
I was looking for a buzz box and picked up a nice little Miller for $100. At a Linde Store in Des Moines.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 05:42 PM

Ryan, Don't hesitate to ask at a Welders Supply store. A lot of Pro Welders are always looking for the next big gimick and trade in very good welders to get the newest thing out there. You can sometimes find a good buy in the back room.
I was looking for a buzz box and picked up a nice little Miller for $100. At a Linde Store in Des Moines.

Thanks for the tip! I am out of welding gas, so I will have to go soon anyway.

#14 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 07:02 PM

I'm going to have to call you and make a road trip if you get really good at welding. I hope you find the one you want.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'm going to have to call you and make a road trip if you get really good at welding. I hope you find the one you want.

Why not now?! The "one I want" is not cheap! I could use some side jobs!
  • daytime dave said thank you