• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 05:03 PM

I am making a weight bar, that is going to have a stationary hitch welded to it. I started some fabrication the other day.

This is what the rear looked like before I got started.
Posted Image

I then got rid of all of the hitch components, except for the blocks that slide into the frame.
Posted Image

In order to get one of the blocks off, I had to cut the hitch. I am not worried about this part, I already bent and poorly fixed it once. I don't plan to go back to the hitch anyway, I will put a 3 point on before I put a plane hitch on. The othe side is held on with a cotter-pin.
Posted Image

I decided to grind off a little material, so they would slide in the frame better.
Posted Image

I am going to weld a piece of angle across the two blocks. I will put a bar going vertical that the weights will go onto. The bar will extend downward past the bottom of the angle. That will add some strength to the C channel I will use to make the hitch.
Posted Image

I ground a chamfer into the blocks, this way I will be able to get a little bit better penetration on the big blocks and it will be stronger when I weld it.
Posted Image

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:35 PM

As always, looking good Ryan. :thumbs:
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#3 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:53 PM

Ryan which tractor are you doing this on?
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Ryan which tractor are you doing this on?

My 1971 power king 1614.
Posted Image

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Looks really good. Deff sounds like you know what your doing.....
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 05:07 PM

I welded everything I have together today. It did not come out to bad. I am not happy with a few of the welds, but it should hold fine.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Since I torched the hole for the bar to go through, I had to weld on both sides of the angle to properly fill in the hole. I need to get a new grinding wheel so I can grind down that weld, and the ones on the sides.
Posted Image

During final welding, something moved! The two blocks that slide into the frame where to close together. I had to get creative and spread them apart about an 1/8 inch. I ended up using an engine hoist.
Posted Image

Perfect! Ok, maybe not perfect... but good enough!
Posted Image

I have several different 25 pound weights that are different diameters. The one below has the largest diameter and I still have a few inches of clearance.
Posted Image

Have once again changed mt hitch design! I think, I will have to look around in the welding and machine shops at school to see what material I can use from there. The reason is that no matter how I decide to make the hitch, I will not have strong enough material to do it with.

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 03:12 PM

On Friday, I brought the weight bar to my welding class to make the hitch on it.

Yesterday, I cut out cardboard and taped it all together on the weight bar to see how it would be done and what material would be used.

Today, I cut all of the steel pieces out.

I should be able to at least get everything prepped for welding tomorrow.

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 03:38 PM

Looking great Ryan, can't wait to see what you ended up building.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:57 AM

Looks good, Ryan. Welds don't have to be pretty all the time. But I can understand where you are coming from.

#10 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Ryan, nice job on the weight bar. Simple and effective. Also nice job on getting it to fit back in the frame. Don't forget the expantion and contration cycle that the steel goes through when you weld it. Look at the picture I attached. Likely what happened is the high amount of weld (red circle) on the inside of the angle shrunk when it cooled and bent the angle (red line)to cause the tips of the blocks to be too narrow (black arrows) to fit back into the frame rails.

weld shrink.jpg

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 03:55 PM

Ryan, nice job on the weight bar. Simple and effective. Also nice job on getting it to fit back in the frame. Don't forget the expantion and contration cycle that the steel goes through when you weld it. Look at the picture I attached. Likely what happened is the high amount of weld (red circle) on the inside of the angle shrunk when it cooled and bent the angle (red line)to cause the tips of the blocks to be too narrow (black arrows) to fit back into the frame rails.

weld shrink.jpg

That is a very good explanation! And I bet that is exactly what happened!

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:32 PM

Today, I got all of my torch cuts cleaned. I however did not have time to grind in a few bevels that I need. I needed to cut two notches 1 3/4" deep and 1/4" wide where two of the plates will go around the angle connecting the two hitch blocks. I did not know what the best way to cut them was so I asked the welding teacher, he said to use the plasma cutter. (More info Here) They worked just fine! If I had known I could use the plasma, I would have cut out the plates with it as well! That way, my cuts would have been cleaner!

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 08:41 PM

I had not been updating this, and it has taken me much longer to built this then I had thought it would. After Ihad all of my pieces cut, I tacked them together and all of my cuts where off. So, I remade some pieces, this time I used the plasma cutter and it went much faster; not to mention how much cleaner the cuts where. The part that really set me back was thanksgiving break.

Anyway, I finished it last week, painted it earlier this week and today I brought it home.
Posted Image

I was worried that with the heat from welding the hitch to the weight bar (I made them separately) would warp it, like it did last time. But, it did not and it went into the frame rails with only a few taps from a rubber mallet.
Posted Image

It holds 8 of my 25 pound weights, which is 200 pounds. This will make a huge difference in my traction! The only problem, is that the weights partially block my rear light.
Posted Image

The holes in the sides where the old hitch would pivot were left alone. I will use these to put a clevis into. They are a few inches above the axles, so I will have to be careful. Since it is also off center, I may have problems with the chain hitting the tire in sharp turns. I will just have to see how it works out.
Posted Image

The hitch ball is two inches farther back then the old hitch point, so my trailer tracking is going to be slightly better.

The part that the ball goes through is 1/2 inch steel, everything else I made in welding class is out of 1/4 inch. I am not at all worried about the hitch bending. The way I see it, it is way overbuilt... just like the rest of the tractor! :D
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Excellent work!

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks