5 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 04:51 PM

This is on a JD rer. I cant find any info on the motor. There are close models on partstree but not an exact match. I need to know how to wire this engine up by itself. How is spark created and cut off with this engine? TIA

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0646.jpg
  • IMAG0647.jpg
  • IMAG0648.jpg

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:33 PM

Follow the spark plug wire back...it should lead to a magnetto.....theres 2 points on it that cross over a magnet on the flywheel. Make sure those points and the flywheel are clean of rust and debris to make sure its creating a good spark. The magnetto will be held on with 2 small bolts (1/4in i believe), when you take it off, clean the 2 contact points and flywheel with a wire tool. To reset the correct gap, place a business card between the magnetto and the magnet portion of the flywheel then tighten those 2 bolts, then remove the card. Gap should be perfect. When you turn the key off it grounds out and kills the capability of the spark, shutting the engine down. I'm not positive what exactly your trying to wire. I eliminated the key switch and installed a push button starter on a GT and i ran a wire from the switch to a ground and the other side to the starter. Flicking the toggle grounds it out and the engine shuts down.

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:47 PM

I'm not sure on a Kawasaki engine but on a B&S Engine you can install the Magnetto backwards. Make sure the "This side out" is facing up.

#4 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:53 PM

This bad boy also has an ignighter the best i could tell from reading. The wiring is all shot so I wont mess with it. I just need to know what I need to start this motor as if it was one a bench.

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 08:21 PM

I think this may help you. He's wireing a GT but it gives the basic ideas of what you have to do. This was the video I watched that helped me to wire in my push start and kill switches. I hope this helps.

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 08:39 PM

That engine is a Kawasaki.. They have ignition modules.. Some of the smaller ones are attached right to the magneto. On the larger 2 cly. engines there are pulsar pick up coils, an Ignition module and external coils. Your engine 's P/N is 21119-2161 per Jack's.. I found one a little cheaper here: http://www.powerspor...CFZHRzAod8XUAPA Just in case you need a new one that is!

Look @ the side of the crank case or your tag for the full model # and look through the parts listing for your engine (the letters after the FB460V) Here's the listing of all the engines @ Jacks: http://www.jackssmal...s/KWE/fb460v//1

Take a look in the parts listing for your exact engine.. If it only has a mag you should be able to ground it out and kill spark.. If it has an external coil just kill the 12V+ to it to kill it.

Try looking your tractor's model# up in the JD parts website and maybe you can get some help there: Just in case you need a new one that is! (Click on the Blue 'find your part' and enter your model#)
http://www.bomberger...t/johndeere.asp

Good Luck!

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, November 02, 2012 - 09:01 PM.