jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 03:05 PM

This article is in our current November 2012 Country Living Magazine which is published by our electric co-op here in S.E. Ohio. Knowing some of the members have these units I thought they might get a kick out of the article. It references an article published by Country Living back in April of 1970.
Attached File  Electrakfrom1970CountryLiving Nov2012.pdf   348.18KB   91 downloads
I left it in pdf format so just make it larger on your screen for easier reading. :D
  • daytime dave, MH81, Sparky and 1 other said thanks

#2 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:42 PM

There were so many competing areas of drama during the spring and summer of 1970 that the Elec-Trak could not have gotten a proper introduction otherwise. And it was still only hopeful that production could hit the demand and acceptance already generated. By the time production had been ramped up buyers may have already gone elsewhere . All this recently uncovered and will be written in official form . The truly amazing thing is the amount of documents found and revealed and the fact that the project remnants survived in spite of the odds against it .

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the look into the past. I wonder if any of them knew all these years later there would be nuts like us?

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:25 PM

I wonder if ANY of these manufactures of all our favorites ever thought someday we would be around as a forum. Not many people build things and think "this will be a classic or very collectable one day" especially in todays wolrd sadly...great thought tho

#5 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 08:23 PM

As an aside , the Elec-Trak made perfect sense in a world without human distractions of all kinds . But most of us are intrigued by more power , the desired colors in life and just more of anything . But life keeps changing . For me - having four motors work in harmony is a hoot . But so was seeing 20 or so tractors at Ball Hollow Ky.

#6 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Another aside . It wasn't possible for somebody like me to study the history of Elec-Traks without knowing the farm equipment dealers that were involved , one manure spreader maker and its holding company , two car compnies - AMC and Renault and of course Wheel Horse which is still kind of an enigma. The book might end up being too thick for one volume !!!

#7 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Sparky maybe you could start a new thread and tell the story of the I1, I2, and I5, tractors.

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Another aside . It wasn't possible for somebody like me to study the history of Elec-Traks without knowing the farm equipment dealers that were involved , one manure spreader maker and its holding company , two car compnies - AMC and Renault and of course Wheel Horse which is still kind of an enigma. The book might end up being too thick for one volume !!!

Listen. I'm the new guy. What I know about these is what I've read in other posts and the article today...when can we expect the book ?
I'm willing to place an order, I love reading history of old tractors, trucks, cars, trains, boats, well you get the idea.
  • Sparky said thank you

#9 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I will have to think on the industrial angle , not much background info for the impetus other than the fact the original crew was indusrial in nature.

#10 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:20 PM

The book is being written by George Beckett and Bruce Laumeister . It was hoped to be completed by now . New finds of documents occur on almost a weekly basis . And possibly legal constraints apply . Two years of digging by many but not done yet . All off the record on my part .

#11 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 11:28 PM

Subscribed to this thread.. in earnest interest.
  • Sparky said thank you

#12 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 06:40 AM

In lieu of a book which will come in due course , I could suggest buying an Elec-Trak and doing the RSVP for next years gathering / worked for me two years in a row. I have owned them more than two years and the " digging " is more than that . People got serious about the first hand knowledge just in time . Fred

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the article. It's always great to see, especially when it's older stuff, especially when it's Elec Trak.

Fred, great advice to all, go get/save and Elec Trak and see for yourself.They do everything regular GTs do and a few more things.
  • Sparky said thank you