• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hi guys. bought my first Bolens today, dont tell the wheel horse guys, i bought a 1990 gt 2000 hydro with mower and snowbolwer, one owner, really good looking no rust anywhere, motor runs, no knocks and is quiet but lots of blow by coming out the oil dip stick, seem like rings but we will find out soon enough, paid $700 did i get taken? doesn't really matter, i like the size and features of the tractor, it is set up for 3ph but where can i get arms or has anyone made any and could i get pics to go from? thanks all, farmer john

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hi guys. bought my first Bolens today, dont tell the wheel horse guys, i bought a 1990 gt 2000 hydro with mower and snowbolwer, one owner, really good looking no rust anywhere, motor runs, no knocks and is quiet but lots of blow by coming out the oil dip stick, seem like rings but we will find out soon enough, paid $700 did i get taken? doesn't really matter, i like the size and features of the tractor, it is set up for 3ph but where can i get arms or has anyone made any and could i get pics to go from? thanks all, farmer john

your not suppose take out the dip stick to check blow by you check at the tubes that go into the air cleaner if there is extensive smoke coming out of them you have a problem but the magnums are one tough engine and 700 is not bad good luck on the find
cheers
Ty
  • farmer john said thank you

#3 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 05:10 PM

Sounds like a nice workhorse of a tractor.

If the tractor has been sitting for awhile it may have a little blow by. Just using it for a few times seems to work for me I've had a few that smoked at start up and spit oil out of the breather
After using them for awhile they seal up and work as they should,

Seems like a lot of tractor and implements for a bargain price to me. Pictures would be nice !!

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 06:32 PM

there is a very little smoke coming off the vent into the carb, but if you take the cap off the dip stick you could use it as a hair dryer, i think thats rings or a bad piston from running lean

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:23 PM

:wewantpics: congrats on the new GT....would love to see it....

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 07:59 PM

The engines are supposed to be de carboned every 500 hours. If this hasn't been done get a new head gasket and remove the head, clean out all the carbon and reassemble it with the new gasket. On my K321 this stopped a bad blow by problem. In my case carbon had built up at the top of the cylinder near the exhaust valve to the point where it was wearing the top of the piston away and pushing it away from that side of the cylinder at the top of the stroke. This caused the blow by. I don't have any problem with oil coming out the breather now but before it was leaking out at several drops/minute which will make a mess in a short time.

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:39 PM

thanks very much Brian, just got off the phone with my buddy whos a car mechanic and hes going to bring over a mini camera that sticks down the spark plug hole and have a look around inside, then go in the dip stick and look at the bottom end, its nice to have friends with neat toys, i tell him to pay attention for carbon build up at the top of the stroke, i may get lucky as i dont think the head has ever been off. many thanks farmer john

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 07:14 AM

... i like the size and features of the tractor, it is set up for 3ph but where can i get arms or has anyone made any and could i get pics to go from? thanks all, farmer john

If all you need are lift ams, here are two places. One has the 'kinked' arms, and the other appears to have the straight ones. You would have to check to see what your tractor needs.

http://www.eezs.com/...bCategory_Id=54

http://www.redlandhi..._0_Liftarm.html

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 07:24 AM

Congratulations on your first Bolens.

#10 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Congratulations! I've got the Troy-bilt version of your tractor.( Ok, technically it's the one step down 18hp version so minus the dual range axle and front hydraulics) I think you'll find it to be a good, capable machine. :thumbs:
Depending on hours, they pretty consistently bring $1000 in this area so $700 doesn't sound bad at all, especially with the blower.
Someone mentioned de-carboning the heads. Unfortunately, you'll find that if yours still has all the shrouding on the Magnum that you basically have to pull the engine to get the shrouds off to access the heads. :(
What size mower deck came with it? I've got the 48" deck and I think it produces a very nice cut.
Also, I was one of the people who thought even the idea of power steering on a GT was crazy. Now that I have it, it would be hard to be without. :smilewink:

Edited by Canawler, November 03, 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#11 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 08:07 AM

thanks guys , my new toy came with a 48" deck, and i do like the power steering option, never had that before, i just moved up tp satalite internet, gttalk has cost me money, as they say if you dont have pics it doesnt count, i will have to get my kids to snow me how to put them on the computer and post them, im a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff, i still prefer a paper copy of the selling ads and would buy a ebay paper copy if i had a choice, but sooner than we think we may be collecting newspapers and magazines, guys like me are going the way of the dodo. adapting to slow ha ha ha!!! farmer john

#12 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 11:26 AM

I think $700 for a 20hp running machine with attachments is a pretty good deal. I'm curious about the carbon build up. I remember reading about WW 2 planes using water injection to increase power for short periods, and there was a mention that this also cleaned out carbon from the combustion chamber. Anyone know anything about that?