270 replies to this topic

#196 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Wow, what a testimony to your electric motor conversion! Nice and quiet too I suppose? Does the dirt make a noise as it's being plowed, or is there still enough geartrain noise that you can't hear?

#197 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 09:03 AM

That is very neat. But to me its almost disturbing how quiet it is, It sure did a good job.

Edited by Chuck_050382, April 30, 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#198 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 11:53 AM

Way to go Doug you did a great job on that tractor.
Love that Electric.

#199 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 03:21 PM

UPDATE

Today ET2 finally got some gauges, amp meter, 0 to 150amps.
And a volt meter or charge level.

002.JPG 004.JPG
  • KennyP said thank you

#200 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 03:36 PM

Now all it needs is a phone so it can 'phone home'!

#201 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 03:42 PM

Next thing I need to get for this thing is a good 36volt on board battery charger for it.

#202 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 04:16 PM

Looking good Doug!

#203 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:04 PM

Today I also got some seat time and did some plowing. Started working on next yrs garden.
Turned this
005.JPG

Into this
013.JPG

Had good luck with the tractor and plowing today, biggest problem was traction, need to get some AGs on this thing. The area is about 30 x 50 and I drained the battery pack 50% plowing this, used 2nd and 3rd gear, found that 3rd was the best but more amp draw.
Plowing in gears using 1L
1st - 50amps
2nd - 75 to 100amps
3rd - 100 to 125amps
4th - 150 + amps
Found that moving the plow to the right 1 hole makes a difference with the amps and traction, less cut width, less amps, less wheel spin.
I started with 1L (top hole in pic) then 2L (middle hole), seems to work best in 1L but traction problems.
012.JPG

Tractor moves faster in 3rd than 2nd and seems to do a better job plowing.
In 4th tractor speed is about the same or less than 3rd and the amps are really high.

First pass
006.JPG

007.JPG 009.JPG

Last pass
011.JPG
Since this area has a bit of a slop to it and I was plowing across the slop I found that if the left side of the tractor is uphill from the right the plow seems to do a better job, the sod doesn't roll back after its plowed. If you go the other way more of it rolls back, as you can see 1/2 the garden is smoother than the other, the smooth side is where the plow turned the sod over good.

Then I tried the disc and cultivator to chop up the sod and smooth it out some.
014.JPG

Every time I use the plow I get better and better at it, had a good day.
  • MH81 said thank you

#204 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:32 PM

It's funny how that goes with the learning curve thing and things like plowing that you only do once a year. By the time you've finished saying "Oh yeah, it worked better like this last time" you are at least half way through and there isn't much time to learn something new! As far as your sod rolling over, I would think that a faster ground speed might help with that. The uphill side gets a little assist from gravity to roll the rest of the way, whereas downhill needs a little more "oomph" to finish rolling over. I had a small discussion last year about plow speeds and some information I found about recommended plowing speeds. The thread is here : http://gardentractor...-plowing-speed/ . Unfortunately, the Internet has moved the page I referenced :( . Anyway, the recommended speed was 3-5 miles per hour, so the tractor should be moving at a brisk walk at those speeds.

#205 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,336 Thanks
  • 28,645 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Doug,
Good to hear ET2 was pulling its load today. Havent seen much of her since last winter with the snow plow.

Don't worry about a few tufts of grass sticking up, I think it did a great job. As for the traction, the chains would've helped you a lot.
How deep was the cut on the plow, was it going 4-5"? I've always found that being shallow, downhill and slow are about the worst plowing conditions. I've actually walked beside the plow as a kid more than once, helping it roll sod over.

#206 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Doug,
Good to heat ET2 was pulling its load today. Havent seen much of her since last winter with the snow plow.

Don't worry about a few tufts of grass sticking up, I think it did a great job. As for the traction, the chains would've helped you a lot.
How deep was the cut on the plow, was it going 4-5"? I've always found that being shallow, downhill and slow are about the worst plowing conditions. I've actually walked beside the plow as a kid more than once, helping it roll sod over.

The motor gets warm for sure, lots of amps plowing, it takes everything it's got just to do it.
3rd gear is best, even though amps are high the sod rolls over best, 4" or 5" depth, + or -
The sleeve hitch tube is really sloppy, 5/8 pin in a 3/4 hole, find the depth varies a bit as you plow. I think it would work better with a tighter fit.
012.JPG
  • MH81 said thank you

#207 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 11:32 PM

Doug, sounds like you have been having a lot of fun. I just bought a plow gauge wheel from olcowhand and I am getting anxious to try it out. I would love to try the E20 out plowing but I still have it apart lol. As for an on board charger look into a Guest on board charger as I am going to get one for the Electric Springfield at some point. They look like a great product and a decent price. There is links to two of them, you can search and find them cheaper online. Browse ebay for them and have fun. Guest also does have a website with list of all their models.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e723baed1

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c6823c835

#208 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Today I spent some time and got the snow plow mounted on ET2, I have 2 of these Massey Dozer blades for this tractor and put both of them on it. The one I used last yr is bent so I tried the other one and I like it better, it's the first version, 2 piece push tube with the 2 skid shoes, rusty as it is, it's straight and not as sloppy as the other. The 5/8 pin that goes through the rear bracket was seized so I had to drill that out, took lots of time but it's done. Neither of these blades have the front guide bracket, I use 2 small pieces of angle iron bolted to the bumper with no lift assist spring. I don't know why they use the spring I find it easy to lift with no spring using the handle.

ET2 compared to my MF10 is so different, they are both the same tractor, 1966 MF10's.
To move the MF10 from sitting for a week, you have to start the engine, let it warm up a bit then you can drive it.
ET2 turn on the battery disconnects, flick on the switch and go, full power right away, no waiting, so quiet.

Left to right
MF10. - ET2 last yrs blade, - MF12 homemade blade.
Electric Massey 036.jpg

more pictures tomorrow
  • IamSherwood, KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#209 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 05:21 PM

I like seeing your Massey's lined up. Thanks for the update.

#210 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 15, 2012 - 05:57 PM

Awesome news for you Doug. Can't wait until tomorrow's pics.