DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:11 PM

This project took a lot longer than I thought it was going to but it's finished and so far seems to work good. Was hoping to get of work a little early today as I was planning on doing some pulling power test and video, but we got 1" to 2" of snow last night so I guess that we have to wait for a while.
Things to do on it in the near future:
1- fix the intermittent bad connection that seems to be in the foot throttle circuit.
2- load the rear tires.
3- clean up and paint my MF630 blade that I have so I can see how the tractor does for snow plowing.
4- test and use it, find out what it can and can't do, how much run time there is.

Things to do as time goes on:
- get a better nose ring.
- get a better steering wheel.
- get an amp and volt meter installed.
- work on some attachments, like a mower deck, and ???

At this time I would like to say thanks to all who have viewed, commented and giving advice on this project, it's time for me to take one of my 1/2 done projects and finish it.

Thanks Doug

#152 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Doug you did a superb job with the tractor. I think it is cool that you painted it different colors and I like the ET on the side. I also like the GTtalk sticker on the side as well :D

#153 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 09:15 PM

Great fun! Great fun! Great looking tractor and good info. on covering your work, thanks.

#154 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 12:53 AM

This project took a lot longer than I thought it was going to but it's finished and so far seems to work good. Was hoping to get of work a little early today as I was planning on doing some pulling power test and video, but we got 1" to 2" of snow last night so I guess that we have to wait for a while.
Things to do on it in the near future:
1- fix the intermittent bad connection that seems to be in the foot throttle circuit.
2- load the rear tires.
3- clean up and paint my MF630 blade that I have so I can see how the tractor does for snow plowing.
4- test and use it, find out what it can and can't do, how much run time there is.

Things to do as time goes on:
- get a better nose ring.
- get a better steering wheel.
- get an amp and volt meter installed.
- work on some attachments, like a mower deck, and ???

At this time I would like to say thanks to all who have viewed, commented and giving advice on this project, it's time for me to take one of my 1/2 done projects and finish it.

Thanks Doug

Ya, you have a lot of lose ends to wrap up like me.

#155 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 01:32 PM

Doug, you did a very nice job on both the build up, and painting the tractor. It sure looks like a fun tractor to use. Thanks for the pictures and the story of the build. :thumbs:

#156 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 05:32 PM

ET2 Video plowing snow, today is the first time the Electric Massey did something useful.

Have been working on a MF630 blade for it, today got it mounted, with loaded tires and a set of 2 link tire chains. It has enough to push some snow. We didn't get any snow so I scraped the long part of the drive, then tried it on the big section, then shot the video.
I used 4th gear in the video, 3rd gear is slower, the motor seems to have a lot of low rpm power and when it revs up power level drops.
I then drove down the road to my neighbors, he wasn't home, came back and parked it. Put my hand on the motor it was slightly warm.
Electric Massey 036.jpg

I can't wait for the next snowfall to use this and see how it does, all my driving around today used up 40% of the power in the battery pack.
I also tied a rope to my MF12Hydra and dragged it with ET2 in 4th gear, lots of wheel spin but it did it.
This thing works.

Attached Thumbnails

• Electric Massey 034.jpg
  • Electric Massey 035.jpg

#157 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 05:45 PM

That is pretty awesome there Doug, I like how it works in the snow. I am thinking I might end up upgrading my controller in my Electric Springfield to better suit the 1.2 Hp motor I have, that's if I need more power for doing stuff, but anyway, cool machine.

#158 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the video.
That does pretty good in the snow :thumbs:

#159 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Doug, That's Great!. Thanks for the video & it looks like the weight & plow are doing a great job.

#160 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:03 AM

Doug, your tractor looks to be doing a great job moving snow! It seems to have pretty good power to spin the rear wheels. Great job on your project and thanks for the video!

#161 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:18 AM

WOW! That does a good job plowing snow.Thanks for sharing that video with us Doug.

#162 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:19 AM

That's pretty neat! Thanks for sharing the video

#163 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 09:36 PM

Today ET2 had it's first real test plowing snow off the whole driveway. We got drifting snow depth of 4" to 8" overall on the driveway. Tractor started with a full charge in the battery pack, took me about 2hrs to do the whole drive way some in 3rd gear some in 4th gear, lots of back and forth. It did pretty good, it did the job.
After I finished, parked it in the garage, let it sit for 1/2hr and then checked the battery pack, tested 2 batt. at 50% charge, 1 at 45% charge left in it, the one with 45% is the one that powers the 12volt lights which I was using. So basically 1/2 the battery packs charge to run 2 hrs plowing snow.
Also right after I finished I put my hand on the controller it was cool not cold but not warm either, it doesn't heat up at all.
The motor was hot to touch, you couldn't hold your hand on it, too hot. I think I picked the right controller 200amp verses 3ooamp, the larger would give me more power and more heat. The 200 amp controller puts out 80 amps continuous the motor is rated for 40amps continuous.
More power, more speed, pushing power with speed would be nice but I think it needs a better motor to do that, it still does the job as it is and I am overall happy with it especially battery range performance.
Compared to my MF12Hydra with 12hp gas engine the gas is faster and more powerful, not a lot but noticeable.
One problem the blade has skid shoe built into the cutting edge that cause it not to get right down and do a good job, the angle of the blade makes the cutting edge a little higher than the skid shoe so it rides up on the snow a bit, got to see if I can fix that so it scrapes down to the gravel like my other homemade blade does. See picture.
MF630 008.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• MF630 007.jpg

#164 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 09:42 PM

Very nice doug, I'm hoping to use my Electric ATV to move dirt and snow when I finish it. Im going to buy the PM fully programmable series of the kelly controllers.

#165 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 04:28 PM

Video ET2 plowing some snow, we had a nice day here with some snow on the driveway so it's time for another video. I adjusted the cutting edge and now it works much better.

• Trav1s said thank you