Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

My Other Addiction Other Than Gt's......

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 10:53 AM

JD Daniels now you are talking my speed! I wanted an Ossa and a Rickman to collect but never found one I could afford or was close enough to get. I raced early in life then got back on in my late 20's on a YZ250.......too many years off a bike and my desire not to break anything...resulted in a short run on my second motorcross career. These guys today are insane what the do and the speeds they do it at! Still have 4 JT60 Yamahas stuffed in my garage......few after market expansion chambers etc.....sold most of my stuff to make room for these GT's.

When I got my MAR from a Hill Climber and Ossa Dealer, it was literally a Frame sitting beside a metal coal basket full of parts.
I was working full time in the factory and mowing 16 lawns per week on the side so my time was used up. I paid Lee to put it back together for me and add Koni Aluminum shocks with light springs, and air caps on the front forks. At the time I only weighed 135 lbs so never put air in the forks. Being able to use my weight to load the forks using the springs for lift was imperitive to crawling over logs and bolders.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 02, 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#17 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 11:11 AM

Never motocrossed, it was too much out of control insanity(Ragged Edge) for me. I did have a 73 250 Ossa Mick Andrews Replica(Repica of the motorcycle Scotsman Mick Andrews won the International Six Days Trials 6 yrs straight on) completely restored that I rode in Observed Trials in Iowa Bog Wheelers competetion for a few years when I was in my 30's. Control at a crawl was my game.
Darn do I miss my Plonker!!

Motorcycles are not a vehicle, they are a disease. Once it gets in your blood you never get over it.
I have not owned one for 25 yrs, but still have the itch.

Do you have any pics of your bike?

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 11:33 AM

We ran very soft suspension so we could use weight transfer to lift the front or crawl over rocks logs etc and ran 2 ply tires at low pressure (5lbs-7lbs) so they would wrap around obstacles. Not a whole lot different than a tractor. Small carburators so you had good throttle response off idle. Very much different than motocross but Ossa used the same engine in the Phantom Motocrosser in a different state of tune.
There were some rare versions of this bike that used Bolger Walking Beam rear suspension where the shocks were inside the frame hoops. A little know fact was that Ray Bolger(Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz) was a very talented inventor.
Over the years the pictures have been lost, this was even before I had an 886 computer.
But here is a picture of one simular.Posted Image

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 02, 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#19 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 04:04 PM

My best friend over there had a Serpa T. When we would take off on a flat he was always running at the back but when we went down in the quarries and started climbing he just walked away from us. Some of the stuff he would climb we would just shut down the bike and watch.

I've never seen a 2 stroke run backwards but I have heard of them doing it. I bet that was a site.

I had a couple of bike's but my favorite was the Matador. That was a good all around dirt bike plus I could ride it to and from work so that made the trip home each night a lot of fun.

#20 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 08:20 PM

I Like that Ossa, old school trials bike. There's a guy graham Jarvis who's riding trials on a mx bike.

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:51 PM

At most trials events they have a class for trail bikes, I understand there is a class and events for vintage trials bikes too.
There might be a real ruckus raised at my house if this vintage rider announced he was going to compete again at 62 I'm not the man I once was

• HDWildBill said thank you

#22 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 10:04 PM

There might be a real ruckus raised at my house if this vintage rider announced he was going to compete again at 62 I'm not the man I once was

I'm the same age and the last time I fell off a dirt bike (10 years ago) I decided my brother was right, "gravity gets stronger as one gets older". That's the last time I fell down on a motorcycle and probably the last time I rode one. :smilewink:

#23 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 10:42 PM

I just started getting into trials not to long ago, it takes a lot of skill.Has anyone watched the new enduro cross series?

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 02:11 PM

yes trials is a lot more about technique and practice than guts and speed.
like any other sport throwing money at it will not buy you skill.

Practice will take you far.IT sure is fun to do things that seem impossible on a bike!
CHris I find it takes longer for the bumps and bruises to heal.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 03, 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#25 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 05:49 PM

I went to the international Motorcycle show today in Atlanta. I cannot believe how big the motocross bike have gotten. Sitting on one today my tip toes were the only thing touching the ground. Sure a lot different than when I rode dirt.

Chris I hear ya. That is why I ride street now a day's although if you do fall it still hurt and take a while to heal.

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 03, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Yeah Bill the technology used on motocross and enduro bikes in the past 30 yrs makes them almost unrecognisable to us old timers.Course going close to 80 off-road was unthinkable in our day.

#27 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Yeah Bill the technology used on motocross and enduro bikes in the past 30 yrs makes them almost unrecognisable to us old timers.Course going close to 80 off-road was unthinkable in our day.

True, even the street bikes are becoming unrecognizable. As were were looking at the new model cruisers many of them are becoming increasingly complicated and like cars you can't maintain them your self. They had a demo of that new MC sport of trick riding (can't remember what it is called) We were watching some of the stunt's they were doing on a slick concrete floor and it was just amazing and crazy the things they were doing. Us older guy's hung together and they were doing things we never thought about doing with a MC.