Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

My Other Addiction Other Than Gt's......

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Motocross is my other addiction/hobby. Theres nothing like hitting a big jump throttle pinned heart racing then the feeling you get when your in the air ...Awesome!

Attached Thumbnails

• 250yz.jpg
  • 123.jpg

• sacsr said thank you

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 07:11 PM

That's great!! Adrenaline is the best addiction...

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hard to see in the small photo but is that bike a 2 stroke? It looks like it from the shape of the exhaust system. That's some serious air you are getting in that second photo!

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Sure looks like an expansion chamber to me. I think that's spelled Ringa a Ding. :D Put a lot of miles on two strokes and had a lot of fun both on and off the hi-way.
You've got a nice looking bike there :thumbs:

#5 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:36 PM

I live in Southwick MA home of motocross 338. They hold one of the Lucas national events here every year. I met quite a few pros over the years. I still enjoy seeing the local riders every so often. Last time I had bikes they still had dual shocks on the back. Mostly Suzuki RMs.

#6 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 10:19 PM

TW- I love the adrenaline rush i get from riding, if you could see through my helmet it would look like this . :D
JDBrian-Yep shes a two smoker, Yamaha yz250
Cvans- Thanks! My 5 yr old daughter loves tractors and started riding her own four wheeler this summer she said she is ready for a dirt bike. sooo i think i see Santa dropping off a yamaha pw50 under the tree. I love it!
pharmer- Im jealous, We dont have any big time tracks relativly close. you gotta watch the local riders some of them boys are fast!! I had a 79 rm125 my dad gave me, it was orange with the metal tank , metal rear fender and plastic front fender, man that was a cool bike.

Thanks everyone, This is the best tractor forum i have found.

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 10:23 PM

Looking at the picture of the one you where you are catching air, my thoughts went to rear end suspension travel and how far it has come in 30-40 years. I collected 70's motocross bikes for years....I had a 74 Honda Elsinore 250 that was original......found it about 10 years ago....The sticker on the rear fender read " extra long travel 7 inches" or something close to that. I suspect yours has 18-20" travel.....
Thanks for sharing....reminds me of the old days.

Edited by sacsr, November 01, 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#8 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 10:37 PM

Todays suspensions are a science, literally! haha i had to run to the garage and get a measurement but i have 16" of travel with my current set up, I planned on redoing my suspension this winter but i decided to run the central carolina winter series so ill hold off for now.

I love those old bikes i have thought about collecting older bikes the prices have went up alot here lately.

Glad you liked it.

#9 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,638 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 12:34 AM

You motocross guys are insane the way you fly through the air, but I love watching though. My brother was into bike years back (I never was) and one day he brought home an old racing bike (can't remember what it was). He said go take it for a spin, so I did. Down the driveway I went then came back up to him, turned it off and said don't ever let me get on this thing again.To much power and not enough brains I guess. Really would've hurt myself on it, get way to brave with things some times. So I play with 4 wheels on the ground now, well most of the time.
Thanks for sharing and the pics too

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 04:24 AM

Good looking bike.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 04:55 AM

Nice pics. But I prefer to keep the feet planted on solid surface, myself.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Never motocrossed, it was too much out of control insanity(Ragged Edge) for me. I did have a 73 250 Ossa Mick Andrews Replica(Repica of the motorcycle Scotsman Mick Andrews won the International Six Days Trials 6 yrs straight on) completely restored that I rode in Observed Trials in Iowa Bog Wheelers competetion for a few years when I was in my 30's. Control at a crawl was my game.
Darn do I miss my Plonker!!

Motorcycles are not a vehicle, they are a disease. Once it gets in your blood you never get over it.
I have not owned one for 25 yrs, but still have the itch.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 02, 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#13 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:09 AM

JD Daniels now you are talking my speed! I wanted an Ossa and a Rickman to collect but never found one I could afford or was close enough to get. I raced early in life then got back on in my late 20's on a YZ250.......too many years off a bike and my desire not to break anything...resulted in a short run on my second motorcross career. These guys today are insane what the do and the speeds they do it at! Still have 4 JT60 Yamahas stuffed in my garage......few after market expansion chambers etc.....sold most of my stuff to make room for these GT's.

#14 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:57 AM

JD you are right! Once it is in your blood that's it, it is there for life. In the 70"s I rode motocross over in Spain (when I was stationed there and another life) Over there you mainly saw Montessa's or Bultaco's. We had a track on base and it was a big event when the Bultaco racing team would come down to race.

On Saturdays a group of 12 or 14 of us would go out boonie stomping and we would run across a local track with some local guy's riding their 50 & 74cc's. We would ask them if we could ride the track and they would always say yes so they could watch the big bikes race. Those 250 & 350's would tear that track to pieces but the Spaniards love it. As with everything it takes things to long to heal now so I stay on the street and ride my hawg but I still love Motorcycles.

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 10:40 AM

HD Bill, when I was riding there were a lot of Bultaco and Montessa's in the competetion. At that time the Spanish bikes dominated and the Jap bikes were trying to take over. There were a few good Italian bikes too.
One of the funniest things I saw was when a guy was crawling up a very steep hill on a Bultaco Sherpa T, it backfired and ran backwards(piston port two strokes can do that). He came back down that hill in reverse much faster than he climbed it.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 02, 2012 - 10:43 AM.

• HDWildBill said thank you