Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Are There Any Proto-type Tractors Still Alive ?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 01:50 PM

After reading the brochure for the Eaton hydro's (http://gardentractor...tatic-brochure/) i seen what looked to be a 1050 but they said that it has a Eaton 6 Hydro and i was looking at some more pictures and they showed in the shop and there was all kinds of bolens tractors it got me thinking ... IS there any prototype bolens tractors out there Did they ever attempt to put a twin or a kohler or a diesel in a tube frame ? or was there any prototype attachments ?

Edited by 8tyman8, November 01, 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 02:23 PM

Can't answer your question on the hydros but when bolens first started building the Rideamatics there were supposedly 50 prototypes built. I know where there is one that is supposedly one of these 50 but haven't found any info to prove it. Anybody have info on those?

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 02:44 PM

I know that there is a Large Frame prototype out there.

It just recently changed ownership, and while he hasn't said anything, I'm pretty sure that one of our members is the one that bought it.

Here is the original thread on it:
http://gardentractor...ototype-bolens/

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Bolens was constantly trying new things and making new features so I would say it is safe to say they made quite a few Prototype models for testing.
Most did not make it out of the factory& Research and development center but I am sure a few managed to sneak out and make it to the average homeowner.

#5 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 07:50 PM

I know of one true prototype and 2 others that maybe...

#6 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Can't answer your question on the hydros but when bolens first started building the Rideamatics there were supposedly 50 prototypes built. I know where there is one that is supposedly one of these 50 but haven't found any info to prove it. Anybody have info on those?

After all the history I looked at I can say that Bolens only may of made only a small number of Ridemaster prototypes less them 5 I would think.

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:01 PM

After all the history I looked at I can say that Bolens only may of made only a small number of Ridemaster prototypes less them 5 I would think.

Jerome, Are you thinking the front drive ridemaster or ridamatic, the later conventional tractor? I was talking about the later but didn't know if yours was a typo or not.

#8 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:15 PM

Bolens was constantly trying new things and making new features so I would say it is safe to say they made quite a few Prototype models for testing.
Most did not make it out of the factory& Research and development center but I am sure a few managed to sneak out and make it to the average homeowner.

what happened to those ? Dont tell me they got melted down and turned to JD's That would be heart breaking LOL

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:16 PM

Jerome, Are you thinking the front drive ridemaster or ridamatic, the later conventional tractor? I was talking about the later but didn't know if yours was a typo or not.

Sorry about that I read it as Ridemaster forget my post.

#10 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:23 PM

I know of one true prototype and 2 others that maybe...

what are the models of those 2 ? it seems like there was more research and development done on the large frames (ARG wish i could find a large frame) Does any one have plant pictures of the research and development section ?

#11 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:30 PM

what are the models of those 2 ? it seems like there was more research and development done on the large frames (ARG wish i could find a large frame) Does any one have plant pictures of the research and development section ?

I dont have any pics of the RD area but I do have pics of other parts of the factory.

I am picking up a prototype this weekend I think it is 75% most likely a prototype.

The other two I know are a Ride A Matic and Ridemaster but I dont think they are what they are said to be...

#12 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:31 PM

I dont have any pics of the RD area but I do have pics of other parts of the factory.

I am picking up a prototype this weekend I think it is 75% most likely a prototype.

The other two I know are a Ride A Matic and Ridemaster but I dont think they are what they are said to be...

Whats the chance you could post the factory pictures ?

#13 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Whats the chance you could post the factory pictures ?

A little time to gather them up is all I need...

I will be less then a Hour from the factory this weekend next time I am out that way the factory is were I'll be going.

#14 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:57 PM

Prototypes exist. Jerome bought my large frame prototype last week and is picking it up soon. I also sold a Ride a matic prototype (believed to be 1956) ealier this year. It was purchased by another Bolens Collector out west. There is also a prototype Bolens tractor still on the roof of the original Bolens factory.

I have also heard of another prototype Bolens Ridemaster but thats a secret.

Edited by bread320i, November 01, 2012 - 08:57 PM.

• MailmAn said thank you

#15 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Prototypes exist. Jerome bought my large frame prototype last week and is picking it up soon. I also sold a Ride a matic prototype (believed to be 1956) ealier this year. It was purchased by another Bolens Collector out west. There is also a prototype Bolens tractor still on the roof of the original Bolens factory.

I have also heard of another prototype Bolens Ridemaster but thats a secret.

ON The Roof ? Id like to see a picture of that