Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Another (longer) Road Trip This Weekend!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 01:00 PM

Well, looks like great minds think a like, since it seems like both Old Buzzard and I are planning road trips to pick up stuff this weekend! I'm sure our travels might be impeded or otherwise effected slightly due to hurricane Sandy, but otherwise hopefully it should go fairly smoothly. I will be heading from Albany, NY down south towards the Carolina's to pick up a few things along the way. If anyone has something they're eyeing and would liked picked up or transported on my travels, let me know. You can PM me and include your E-mail address or phone number so I have a way to contact you back while on the road (I have E-mail access on my phone and I get E-mails when someone PM's me on the board, but I can't respond directly to the PM on the board on my phone. [If that makes any sense...]) Otherwise, I'll hopefully have a few new things to take home with me on this trip!

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 02:49 PM

Have fun on your road trip....:D:D:D

You realize of course, that means that pics will be required.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I have a 6 hour one way trip myself.....

#4 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted November 05, 2012 - 08:57 PM

Well, my trip took 4 days (Thursday through Sunday), but I purposely broke it up to avoid driving for long times. One-way it would have been roughly 14-15 hours of straight driving. But I'm back now and I'm working on pictures, so hopefully I'll have updates on my recent acquisitions soon. Until then, you'll just have to wait. But I can tell you that this was a BIG haul!!

#5 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Wow, no guesses as to what I brought home this time while waiting for me to finally update this? I'm kinda surprised, but anywho, here goes...

So, this all started a couple of weeks ago back in October since I had been looking to buy a trailer to move around my equipment with, but even used (and frankly very beaten up) trailers were going for a lot of money I thought. So, it turns out I was E-mailing my brother back and forth and mentioned to him I was looking for a trailer and if he had any thoughts or ideas or had any leads on a trailer. Well, it turns out he has a nice trailer that he had been using for many years that he was looking to get rid of to upgrade to a bigger trailer. He said once he bought his new trailer, he would sell me his old one cheap. So, about 2 weeks ago now, my brother finally bought a 30 foot long dual car hauler trailer for about $3,800 (which isn't a bad price for it I don't think...), so we made plans for me to come pick up his single car hauler last weekend.

I left on Thursday, November 1 to head down to South Carolina to pick up the trailer from my brother. He had been living down in SC for about 7 years now I believe, but actually some more back story on this as well is that my brother just recently accepted a new job up in Baltimore, MD area and was planning on moving up there. So, he was starting to move some things from his house in SC up into storage in Maryland until he and his [still somewhat new] wife could find a house to buy up there. (My brother's first wedding anniversary was Oct 22 this year...) But in any event, so part of this deal was that I would help him move some stuff up to Maryland with him in exchange for the trailer.

Well, also around the same time, I had been eyeing up some attachments for my Bolens online and figured it would be a good time to pick them up when I'm making a big trip down south anyways to pick up this trailer. (Yes, I know there was a lot going on here and a lot in play all at once...) One of the items was a Brinly Spreader that I can tow behind my tractor to spread anything from salt to seed to fertilizer. It had been on eBay for several weeks for $45 and local pick-up only with no bids on it. So, I E-mailed the guy and said I was making a trip down that way anyways and if he could do a bit better on the price if I made the trip from NY to pick it up. (It was located in Lancaster, PA). He said he might be able to do something for me and gave me his address. So, I started out Thursday heading towards Lancaster to pick up this spreader.

I got down there a bit later than I anticipated, but met with the guy and ended up talking his ear off for a long time (I know, imagine that, right?). Frankly, a lot of it was his fault as well as he did his fair share of talking. Turns out he's a big Simplicity collector and showed me some of his old tractors. They were pretty neat. So, I told him about the Bolens I have and that I was still looking for some attachments for it. So, he tells me he knows of a guy in New Jersey who is like THE guy to go to for anything Bolens. At first, I honestly thought that maybe he knew Bruce Dorsi by some odd coincidence (hahaha...), but turns out it was someone else named John in very Western NJ near the PA border. He gave me his number and told me to call him while I was on my road trip. So, about 4 hours of shooting the sh1t later, he ended up selling me the spreader for $30 and I was on my way. I didn't get much farther from his house to barely the PA border before it was very late and I pulled over at a rest stop to nap in my truck for a few hours.

The next day, I finished the 10+ hour trip to my brother's house in South Carolina. I stayed over there the night (and had some awesome homemade gnocci's for dinner) and the next morning we started packing everything up that we were taking with us. We both hitched up our respective trailers and loaded cars onto them both. I took one Volvo 122 on mine (that had no clutch and was interesting to load, lol...) and my brother took another Volvo 122 (yes, my brother collects a lot of old Volvo's) as well as a Mercedes Benz convertible that he is trying to sell. Then we both filled the beds of our trucks up with boxes to take to storage and by noon we were on our way to Maryland:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not MY truck (although sometimes I wish it were...), this is my brother's rig:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not a bad setup, eh?

Posted Image

So, anyways, we drove all day and all night at 55-60MPH average speeds until some 12 hours later we were finally in Maryland! During this time, I also called up the Bolens contact in New Jersey and told him what I was looking for and he told me to swing by his place to-morrow and he'd try to dig up some stuff for me. So, I was all excited to see what he might have for me on Sunday on my way back to New York. My brother and I unloaded our trailers at the storage garage and spent the night in Maryland.

The next day, I took off for New Jersey to go take a look at some Bolens attachments. This guy hada lot of nice stuff there and even some large frames and some newer Cub Cadets. He told me he had been buying and selling tube frames for over 15 years and had parted out hundreds of Bolens tractors over the years. But, he was getting out of the tube frame stuff since he said he was having a hard time selling the stuff these days for any money (which I found odd to hear after some of the prices I have seen for Bolens parts...). In any event, he had started getting interested more in large frames anyways and was trying to get rid of all his tube frame stuff. At first, he tried to sell me a complete tractor setup - he had a G-14 tractor with a 42" deck and had the snow caster and snow blade that went with it. He said the engine didn't run though, but it was most likely a carburetor problem as it has the Techumseh 14HP overhead valve engine on it. He wanted $400 for the whole setup. I have to say, for that price I WAS very tempted, but after just buying a trailer, I was low on cash and had to let that go. But I told him I definitely at least wanted the snow caster for my 850. It was all complete, although it was black and white instead of red like the one I had already. But we haggled for a bit and he ended up selling me a complete winter package for my Bolens 850: Snow Caster, Snow Blade, extra set of rear wheels, wheel weights, and tire chains. So, he helped me load everything all up into my truck and I gave him everything I had left in my wallet at the time (talk about highway robbery, right?) and I was on my way back to NY.

Here's the pictures of what I got the next day (Monday) after I got back home. Not a bad haul at all if I do say so myself:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plus, here are some more pictures of the trailer I bought. It is a 1993 Perone 18' dual axle open car hauler trailer. It needs a fender (my brother ripped it off trying to load something big, I assume...) and the lights are a bit questionable, although they work for now... (One of the tail lights is held together with electrical tape.) But it should do what I need it to do for now and it looks like it should be a good trailer for me for a long time!

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, what were the damages for this entire trip? Well, not even counting gas (which I'm assuming cost me at least in the $400-$600 range for this journey round trip), the spreader was $30, the trailer cost me $600 and I got all the goodies for my Bolens for $250. So, all told I'm out around $880 just in purchases, plus another $500 estimated traveling costs (gas, food, tolls, etc...) So, I'm down probably at least $1,300-$1,400 on this road trip! Not exactly a bargain when you think about it all, but I guess not too bad either for what I got out of it all! But at least I should be all set for this winter now!! I just hope this year we actually get some snow now!!

Edited by MailmAn, November 08, 2012 - 12:25 PM.

• OldBuzzard and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 01:54 PM

... and I got all the goodies for my Bolens for $250. ...

I take it that after you loaded up all of the Bolens 'goodies' that you traveled late at night using back roads, and dodging the FBI, State, County, and Local law enforcement agencies?

I say that because you sir, are a thief, and you're danged lucky you didn't get tossed into the Hoosegow for stealing that stuff!

Seriously, that's a danged nice haul. :thumbs:
  • MailmAn said thank you

#7 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 08:34 PM

No snow again this year. I read it on the Internet so I know it's true. Looks like a good haul. Time for you to settle down for a while and enjoy your purchases.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#8 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted November 08, 2012 - 09:03 PM

settle what? I was so ready to hear/ read that there was a 2nd Bolens for the 'supertrailer' :ah_shoot: and wha.? no cab w/that winter gear??
Once you get some rest and bask in the glory of that haul., I predict more Roadtrippin!!! Congrats & Enjoy! :thumbs:
  • MailmAn said thank you

#9 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 09:06 AM

I was so ready to hear/ read that there was a 2nd Bolens for the 'supertrailer'... and wha.? no cab w/that winter gear??

Like I said, I was tempted to buy the G-14 as well while I was there and load it up on the trailer, but my wallet told a different story. Unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees and I'm not made of it, blah, blah, blah... So, I had to get what I could get while I was there as I didn't want to make the trip there to leave empty handed. As far as a winter cab goes, I did not see that he had any there, but he could have one hidden inside his garage somewhere. I was just looking at all the stuff he had outside. He also has a pole barn filled to the ceiling with parted out tube frame stuff, he told me. Besides, I'm sure the cab might keep you a bit more cozy and out of the wind while ploughing, but to me at least it seems like more of a hindrance than any help. (Of course, I might change my attitude on that as I get older, who knows?) I might save up my money and make another trip down there at some point to see what else I can get from him. He said something about having a freshly rebuilt Wisconsin S8D engine for my Bolens 850 tractor inside buried somewhere... :watch_over_fence: The other thing was I'm not particularly impressed with the G-14's with the Techumseh engines. IDK if they made them with your choice of Wisconsin or Techumseh engines, but I'd rather get a G-12 or G-14 with a Wisconsin on it or else maybe like a 1050 if I were to look to upgrade from my 850 at all. Which I have to say it is tempting to try and find another Bolens with some MORE POWER, ARR ARF ARR ARF ARF!!! Very often it just seems like 8.25 HP isn't enough...

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 10:08 AM

Congrats on the Bolens Goodies :D
Looks like you will be all ready for winter this year!
  • MailmAn said thank you

#11 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 02:50 AM

I'd say you did VERY good on your roadtrip. Congrats on your new toys! :thumbs: