16 replies to this topic

#1 MR Simplicity 6111 OFFLINE  

MR Simplicity 6111
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 11137
  • 14 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 12:30 PM

I need to take of the flywheel to get to the ring gear but i do not want to damage the engine by removing it the wrong way. Looking at the picture can anyone tell me? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2087.JPG

#2 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 01, 2012 - 12:53 PM

Start by soaking the hell out of it. That thing is pretty rusty and looks like its gonna be a tough one to get off.
Use the strong back from a 2 jaw puller with long bolts into the flywheel. Put some pressure on it and smack the puller bolt with a hammer, then tighten a little more and repeat. Cast flywheels dont like a lot of heat or to get hit. Fins break off real easy, so try not to hold the flywheel with a pry bar to keep it from turning. A strap wrench works good for this.
I have seen people try to force the flywheel off using a few prybars and ended up cracking the case and/or ruining the flywheel.
If you dont have the right tools, the local mower shop might pop it off pretty cheap.
  • MR Simplicity 6111 said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 01:06 PM

The only thing I would add to Rat88 post is I would soak it maybe over night.

#4 MR Simplicity 6111 OFFLINE  

MR Simplicity 6111
  • GTt Junior
  • 14 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 01:11 PM

Start by soaking the hell out of it. That thing is pretty rusty and looks like its gonna be a tough one to get off.
Use the strong back from a 2 jaw puller with long bolts into the flywheel. Put some pressure on it and smack the puller bolt with a hammer, then tighten a little more and repeat. Cast flywheels dont like a lot of heat or to get hit. Fins break off real easy, so try not to hold the flywheel with a pry bar to keep it from turning. A strap wrench works good for this.
I have seen people try to force the flywheel off using a few prybars and ended up cracking the case and/or ruining the flywheel.
If you dont have the right tools, the local mower shop might pop it off pretty cheap.

So is there a bolt missing on top of it ? And do i just unbolt the two bolts and pull it of with a gear puller.

#5 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 01, 2012 - 01:25 PM

There should have been a nut and large washer holding the flywheel tight, but it looks like it has been gone for a while. Pull the 2 bolts out of the starter cup and thread the longer bolts in those holes. You will need 1/4-20 X 3 or 4 inches and make sure to get grade 8 bolts. The softer bolts will break with a lot of force applied to them, so keep your face away from it as much as possible. Grade 8s can even pull apart if pulled hard enough

#6 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 02:16 PM

Another thing i would ad is that it is a good idea to have the crankshaft nut on the shaft a few threads. the flywheel is on a taper. Sometimes when they let go of the taper it can off real fast. the nut will keep it from hitting you. When you put it back on, make sure the crank and flywheel are clean and dry. trying to lube that fro easier dissassembly later will lead to sheared keys. The taper is supposed to hold the flywheel. The key just lines it up.

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 04:13 PM

Remove the bolts & then the plate they hold on. Looking @ the thing in the center of it it may have one of those weird hold-down nuts that you remove with a spanner wrench.. (aka- Vice grips or pipe wrench.) Pull that plate adn post up another picture of it..

#8 marlboro180 ONLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Rat hit it on the head, just thought I'd add a pic of a very handy tool for your situation MR Simplicity/

Posted Image

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Better soak it for a week or so. That much rust will make it very hard to break loose!

#10 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 05:59 PM

I agree soak over night with PB Blaster (may not even require over night) and use a good puller. Iv taken em off wirse and had no problems that way...they usually pop just as they release in my experience then they'll work their way up with a lil help.

#11 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 01, 2012 - 06:24 PM

I have a cut off tool for the air hammer, it's about 1/2" dia. I have found that on the super rusty ones, a little vibration helps the oil get in better. I'll give them a 2 or 3 second blast up next to the shaft. I try to stay of the "fat" part on the flywheel. It is possible to punch through the thinner parts.

EDIT: I dont want to sound like I use a "cut off tool" , I use an old tool , cut off

Edited by rat88, November 01, 2012 - 06:32 PM.

• KennyP and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#12 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Gotcha, like a little jackhammer, but air powered. Good idea for them worn out cutters.

#13 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • Member No: 9848
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 10:36 PM

Those Briggs flywheels crack easily, then explode when spun! As stated previously, Put the puller on it, then a good swift smack to the center bolt. If that does not get it , soak for a day and try again.
If you end up heating or hitting the flywheel itself, toss it , it's a bomb waiting to go off!

#14 MR Simplicity 6111 OFFLINE  

MR Simplicity 6111
  • GTt Junior
  • 14 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 02:26 AM

I have taken the plate and fan off, and i will soak it in Jizer for a few days. But i cannot see how it is possible to get a grip and that circular thing.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2088.JPG

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 04:03 AM

I would use a tool similar to this:
Posted Image
Find 2 longer bolts to screw into the holes in the flywheel. Then the center bolt of the puller is tightened against the crankshaft.