12 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 06:56 AM

No, not the presidential kind, the office kind.

I hate 'em.

I drive a truck and trying to keep up with who is mad at who, who wants a promotion, who got a raise and who got a reprimand just kills me. I don't care. I just go in, load my truck, drive for a bit, and unload my truck. Repeat as necessary.

I'm not there to make friends or enemies or find girls or get rich. I'm too old and apathetic for that garbage. Give me my pay cheque and leave me alone.

The latest round includes me directly though. Apparently there is some jealousy because I get the perfect attendance bonus every quarter. Okay, I think the bonus is kind of stupid...I was taught that you show up for work every day or they'll find someone who will. We get ample days off as part of our benefit package too, so it's not like there's no time available for doctor appointments or whatever. I'm not going to turn down the $50.00 though. Beer and cigarettes aren't free, after all.

I didn't create the system though. I didn't even know it existed until they started handing me money. It never occurred to me that you could get a bonus just for showing up. The bonus is available to everybody who works there, all they have to do is remember to go to work, get there on time, and not leave early. It's really not my problem if they have trouble achieving those simple things.

But now I hear that it's not fair. I already get paid more than forklift drivers and brake operators. My job is easy since I'm "just" a truck driver. I don't have kids. I don't have family problems. Apparently I'm getting special treatment.

Wait, hold on there a second, Bubba. The people who taught me to show up every day had family problems and kids and hard jobs and money problems. In fact, I was one of the kids, the cause of the family problems on more than one occasion, and cost enough in food and clothing to cause cash shortages. They showed up every day and taught me to do the same.

Anyway, just had to rant. Now I'm going to work.
  • tractorman604, GTTinkerer, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,955 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 07:04 AM

We have two where I work who will make up the darndest excuses to not come in. I understand a mental health day now & then, but these two are ridiculous. Unfortunately, when they're there they work hard... I say unfortunately, because it has kept them employed... And the rest of us guessing every Monday if someone will call off & we'll have to do their job & ours too...

I'll rant right with you Rev.
Good luck.
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#3 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:00 AM

It's just not fair that if you work your scheduled time, you get a better paycheck? LOL Let me get this straight: I want more money so I will take any oportunity to take a day off, then I will cry about it when my pay check isn't full?
Depending on your job, if someone suddenly takes time off, it can hurt everyone there. I know, my wife manages a convienence store. Open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Someone is supposed to come in at 10 pm. She gets a call at 10:15 saying that so and so didn't show up. She has to try to find someone willing to come in or go in herself, which she really doesn't want to do as she will be back there at 6:30 or so anyway to do paperwork and ordering for the day. Now, no one answers their phone because they all know who is calling. She asks whoever is there if they can work a double shift and that puts them into overtime pay, but it means that they get tomorrow night off. OK, now back to work in the morning with a new job added. It is time to look at the schedule and re-arange everyone. No one likes this as they have aways made plans for their time off. Everyone is angry with my wife for doing this and decide they are just going to take today off and not answer their phone. LOL
It's hard to find people that actually want to work these days. Work isn't a curse, it's a blessing.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Politics are in every human relationship regardless of the topic you care to discuss. It's the nature of the human species and there is little or nothing one can do to change it. Yes it's frustrating at times and we can do little to change it.
We have no control over what others may do or say. What we have control over is how we react to it.
Don't let the shirker's attutude effect yours, just keep doing what you know to be right.

If they were really envious of the bonus, all they have to do is change their habits and beat you out of it.
It's on them and is not your problem.

I know where your coming from, I'm constantly reminded that I have accumulated over 400 hrs of sick time in spite of the fact that I was off for 8 weeks with a heart issue 6 yrs ago. And as MH81 said I do take an occasional "Sick of Work day".

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 01, 2012 - 08:18 AM.

• Reverend Blair and sacsr have said thanks

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:16 AM

The work ethic was not and is not instilled into the younger generations. It's kind of sad that children today are being born to lazy give me, give me, give me. for free, parents.

Edited by gravely-power, November 01, 2012 - 08:17 AM.

• Reverend Blair and twostep have said thanks

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,937 Thanks
  • 2,515 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:20 AM

But now I hear that it's not fair. I already get paid more than forklift drivers and brake operators. My job is easy since I'm "just" a truck driver. I don't have kids. I don't have family problems. Apparently I'm getting special treatment.

I guess no one told them when they were growing up that life isn't fair.

#7 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,236 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 09:06 AM

It would be nice if everyone show up on time and did there job. It would make it so much better for everyone, but it will not happen.

#8 Team_Green ONLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,214 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 09:53 AM

The work ethic was not and is not instilled into the younger generations. It's kind of sad that children today are being born to lazy give me, give me, give me. for free, parents.

Boy howdy you are right about the give me attitude.. and EVERYONE wins is one that cheeses me off.. A good friend has a girl that is around 14. She joined a soccer team. after the first game BOTH teams where winners.. Her dad said she looked at him with a WTH look. She went and asked the coach about it. He said they don't keep score cause they don't want to hurt anyones feelings. She quit on the spot. Said if people have no drive or goals to win then why bother..
  • Reverend Blair and twostep have said thanks

#9 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,794 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 11:10 AM

... girl that is around 14. She joined a soccer team. after the first game BOTH teams where winners.. Her dad said she looked at him with a WTH look. She went and asked the coach about it. He said they don't keep score cause they don't want to hurt anyones feelings. She quit on the spot. Said if people have no drive or goals to win then why bother..

She is wise beyond her years.
Growing up, was always taught that winners work hard and smart. Losers well… sit back and b!tch. Some people at work complain they don’t get enough seat time! I work hard so I can enjoy my “seat time” without them!

#10 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 569 Thanks
  • 459 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 01:08 PM

But now I hear that it's not fair.

Fare is what you pay to ride the bus. There is no other meaning.

Screw all the whiners that can't show up on time or show up at all. I for one have had my fill and then some. When someone doesn't make it in I just have to pick up the slack. Do all my work plus. I have heard so many stories that I could puke. Then there are the ones who don't have the gumption to even get out of bed and call to lie to you.
  • tractorman604 and Reverend Blair have said thanks

#11 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 01, 2012 - 02:21 PM

"If winning was easy... losers would do it" quoted from a NASCAR chase commercial. I kinda like it
  • tractorman604 and Reverend Blair have said thanks

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 05:39 PM

Boy howdy you are right about the give me attitude.. and EVERYONE wins is one that cheeses me off.. A good friend has a girl that is around 14. She joined a soccer team. after the first game BOTH teams where winners.. Her dad said she looked at him with a WTH look. She went and asked the coach about it. He said they don't keep score cause they don't want to hurt anyones feelings. She quit on the spot. Said if people have no drive or goals to win then why bother..

See, when I played Little League ball, we were told that we all won, even when we lost. We got exercise, had fun, and so on, so even if we lost we still gained something.

We kept score though, and we got our feelings hurt. It was a no-cut league, and even with that was usually scrambling to fill all the teams, but not everybody got to play the position they wanted. You had to prove you could play the position to get it. I always wanted to play second base, tried for it every year, but spent my time at third or right field because other kids were better than me and we (all of us, not just the coach) wanted to win.

That's part of growing up. Not everybody is equally good at everything.

#13 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 07:04 PM

I still say that's why everybody loves dogs....because they cant talk, otherwise they would be just like humans.It takes a long,long,long time to be able to trust anyone.I used to trust and try to befriend everyone i met, and then after being burnt a couple of times, now the guard is always up. I hate having to operate that way but this world is going to hell in a hand bag [FAST] and a lot of people just have no respect :mad2: :loosing_it: