Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 04:38 AM

Hey everyone. A couple weeks ago I seen this ad for a magazine called "Hobby Farms" while I was renewing my LAGT subscription. I had mentioned to "the boss" that it looked like it could be an ineteresting magazine and I bet you could learn alot from that magazine. Her response was " you should probably order it and see". Well good thing I didn't because the first issue came in yesterday while I was at work. She had already ordered it for me. So I'm pretty excited to check it out today and see what it has to offer since I have a one year subscription anyway.......lol Anyone ever read one of these?
hobby.jpg

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 05:53 AM

I haven't seen that one. My experience with magazines like that is that they tend to be pretty good though. They have limited budgets, so they tend to be written by people with first-hand knowledge because research is expensive. That first-hand knowledge tends to lead to more interesting articles as well, since the articles are coming from people with similar interests to the readers.

The only negative thing I've found with small-market magazines is that some try to keep articles too short to cram as much into an issue as possible. I know I've tried to cut a 2500 word how-to down to 500 words...you end up leaving a lot out and the result is a weak piece.

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 06:22 AM

Yeap. I've had it for awhile. Urban farmer is another one I like. Due to financial reasons I've had to let all my subscriptions expire.

Sent from my HTC One X

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 06:25 AM

We had gotten it for several years. I always enjoyed it, has a lot on gardening and small to mid size animals. Never heard of Urban farmer before, sounds interesting.

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 06:37 AM

My daughter and son-in-law get the Hobby Farm magazine and really enjoy it. I'll let them know about the Urban Framer one also although we aren't real urban up here in Northern Michigan.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 08:34 AM

I have not yet subscribed to it, but have been picking it up at the magazine rack in the grocery store for a couple years now.
I like it and should subscribe, it has a lot of information that is relevant to my 9 acre Hobby Farm.

#7 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 01:09 PM

Its not what i was hopein for. Good magazine and interesting just not what i thought. I will check out urban farmer, that sounds more like what i was thinkn. Thanks for the input.

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 01:23 PM

It's a pretty good magazine for certain types. I enjoy reading it and seeing some of the things in it.

I'll have to look into urban farmer, sounds cool. Thanks.