• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 11:50 PM

I am going to put some new FRONT tires on the "Green Machine". It has the highway tread tires like a lot of them have on them. I am considering going back to the original style ribbed tires. Am I correct that on my 2418 that they would have been 4:00 X 12 or originally were they wider? Has anyone shopped for some and would recommend a place that I can get them for the least $$.
Thanks Mike

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 04:39 AM

4.00 x 12 is the correct size. If you go wider you begin to run into clearance issues at the spindles. I run Deestone tri ribs on mine. I can't help you with where to get them as I got both sets of mine at a show where a tire dealer used to come in and set up. I like them as they help with steering in the winter.

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 04:41 AM

Here is a picture of my tri-ribs on the tractor.

100_1665.JPG

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 07:49 AM

Deestones cheapest at GCTWholesale or www.greaterclevelandtire.com. Look for AG tire or maybe Tractor tire section and it shows them single price and pair price. Tubes can be gotten also if you want. You'll have them in two days also. Otherwise Carlilsle is sold by many dealers, mine is Firestone for about twice as much. BUT, my dealer won't install other pieoples tires, so had do mount myself.

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 05:13 PM

I put new 400X12 tri-ribs on both my 2418 and my 1614 a couple years back. Got them at Tire Town in Leavenworth, KS. $25 each for four ply buffed.

www.tiretown.com

FYI - When I went there to pick them up they quoted a much higher price and I mentioned I saw on their website that they were $25 each. The guy quickly said he would honor that price. I suppose he was on commission - thats the only reason I could think of for two prices. Also they don't always have everything in stock so it may take several attempts. BTW, buffed means they take an angle grinder to the brand name on the side and grind it off so there is no warranty. The ones I got were Titan brand because they didn't quite "buff" enough but thats a good thing.

#6 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 06:43 PM

I just bought a pair of the ribbed tires from a company that advertises them on E Bay. I called the company and he sold them to me for $35. each plus shipping of $10. each. I also bought new tubes for another $10. each. I think that was as good a deal as I am going to find from my looking around the internet. The comparison is that I could have bought the highway tread tires like I have on it now for $40. each. So with shipping the original style ribbed ones were only $5. more per tire.