Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jd 140 Issues... Again... Also, Parts Interchangeability.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 505 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Hey guys, I ran outside (in the rain) to the shop to see what I could get into... Well, the 140 hadn't been started in about 3 months, so I decided to get it going... Turned the key and got no response... Took the battery out and changed out the terminals on the tractor, and both leads... Got a response in the form of a loud screech and then just the starter spinning. The starter is not throwing the gear (can't remember the name) out to connect with the flywheel... Oh no. So I have to pull that off, clean it, then test it to see if it will work or if it needs replaced... But, I wanted to know, is it possible to easily put a 300 series fender pan and tank onto a 140? I'm thinking about eventually re-powering the 140 as I have had a lot of electrical problems and carb issues so it would be nice to have some extra room if I decide on something like a Kohler/Onan twin or a Briggs Vanguard, also it would be nice to have some extra gas to work (play) with. Thanks.

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Dane,

My first thought on a repower - The modern v-twins use much less fuel so a larger tank is not much of an issue for me. That being said, the additional space to work with under the hood and getting the gas away from the engine and battery are a plus to me. I have read about quite a few repowers. The common mod to create more space include small gel batteries used in ATVs or motorcycles then move the fuel tank back or adapt a different tank in the space

As for the gas tank/fender pan question, I hope someone who owns a 140 and 300 series could compare the two and possibly offer pictures to compare them.
  • Dane in PA said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:53 PM

If I get a chance, I will take a few photos and set a 300 series pan on a 140 frame. Is your 140 early or late model?
  • Trav1s and Dane in PA have said thanks

#4 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 505 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Dane,

My first thought on a repower - The modern v-twins use much less fuel so a larger tank is not much of an issue for me. That being said, the additional space to work with under the hood and getting the gas away from the engine and battery are a plus to me. I have read about quite a few repowers. The common mod to create more space include small gel batteries used in ATVs or motorcycles then move the fuel tank back or adapt a different tank in the space

As for the gas tank/fender pan question, I hope someone who owns a 140 and 300 series could compare the two and possibly offer pictures to compare them.

I was thinking more along the line of a later KT-17/KT-18, An Onan Opposed Twin, or Briggs Vanguard V-Twin. The fuel efficiency is nice, but I worry about the alum. block...

If I get a chance, I will take a few photos and set a 300 series pan on a 140 frame. Is your 140 early or late model?

Thanks. My 140 H3 is a '73 model.

Does anyone know what 26" and 18" tires people put on to give them the beefy look too? They are ags and multi-ribs, I just forget what ones they are...

#5 fishman OFFLINE  

fishman

• Member No: 5368
  • 19 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 12:56 AM

First off the frame on the 140 is flat the post are on the fender pan. So the first thing you would have to do is look into that. The hydro dip stick would also have to be looked at. If you would use the gas tank from a 300 series. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351662578.056253.jpg . This is my 140 h3. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351662618.989811.jpg . This is my 140 fender pan. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351662645.720352.jpg .
This is my 317.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351662737.858738.jpg .
I don't think it would work but then again if you got the time & know how anything is possible. Good luck. I'll try to get out and get picture with 312 gas tank setting on 140 frame.

#6 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 505 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 06:04 AM

Thanks, FM. When I heard that a 300 Series is basically a 140 with a new look, I got a few ideas about some ways my 140 could be personalized. I thought the 300s had a flat frame too... Hmm. Goes to show that I'm still new at this!

#7 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 505 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Okay guys, I took the starter off of the engine and tested it on the bench... The sprocket shot forward, but only half way. I found some rust on the shaft so I scrubbed it off using a brass brush and applied some electrical appliance lube and not it works like new! I got to drive the tractor around for a bit and it seems as if the whining that the trans was doing when I parked it has stopped... I'm going to change out the filter and fluids sometime this winter or right before PAPD.
  • Trav1s said thank you