Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 06:58 PM

These pictures were taken at a service call I was on Monday. "Furnace runs, heats some, dont heat the whole house." "You have to turn it all the way up to 90" she says. I asked her if it got to be 90 inside? No. There were four adults(loosely used) in the home and they all had there own opinion of what was wrong and which one of the parts needed to be replaced. So I start the furnace up, let the flame ignite (auto ignition), blower stated, watched for a while and then shut it back off.

I proclaim "Blower needs to be cleaned and I think there is a spider web in the main orifice, flame looks a little off center"

Oh I just cleaned that with a shop vac.

"Did you pull the blower out?"

NO, landlord wont let me.

"Well let me pull it out and see what it looks like up close" ( I had a darn good idea :D )

So I took out the four mounting screws, pulled the molex plug and slid the blower unit out of the furnace. I did not think to get a pic before I had the blower out of the cage, but got several of the furry motor and the congested wheel

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image.

Vacuumed off the motor, then blew as much crud out of the windings and front/back openings as I could.

Best method on the wheel and cage is a garden hose, there should be as much metal visible in there as possible when you are done.

This was not the all time worst I ever cleaned, but had the trusty cell phone and wanted to share a view.

OK so here is my point(s) of this little picture show.
  • The smallest amount of dirt lining the blower vanes or the inside of the housing will DRASTICALLY affect the airflow.
  • If the air aint moving easy you are paying more to make your equipment work harder
  • Even the best filter does not trap all dirt. (This furnace had no filter, unfortunately I see this quite often, work primarily in Manufactured Homes {yeah TRAILERS too} )
  • If you have your furnace checked annually (highly recommended) make sure to have them look at the blower motor, wheel and housing and clean it if its dirty (every five years if you got a GOOD filter and duct system, there will still be a start of dust on the blower wheel maybe sooner)
  • Make sure If you have your "Ducts Cleaned" that the contractor does take out your blower to clean and also cleans the heck out of the inside of the furnace cabinet. The cooling coil if you have AC should also be cleaned.
  • Change filters as often as necessary. I tell my customers that an air filter can not be too clean but it can be too dirty. If you see the dust built up, the airflow is affected and therefore your wallet too.
  • Be wary of the "DATING" on an air filter. The "90 day filter" you payed ten bucks for is just as dirty after 30 days as a "30 day filter" you can get for 2 bucks. Again if its dirty, clean it or replace it, why pay more for something that ends up costing you even more to use????
  • And last but not least, a lot of blowers do come out real easy, and if you have the aptitude to try it yourself, check out a parts diagram to see how involved it would be. Beware though that some of the newer, ultra high efficiency units are BURIED, best left to a service tech. Plus if you have a condensing gas furnace(makes water when on) you probably should have your secondary heat exchanger cleaned of surface accumulation as needed, also best left to a service tech.
I see several instances a year where a furnace has died prematurely because of lack of airflow and the subsequent overheating and stressing of the furnace that takes place. I thought if I helped even ONE of you guys avoid this trouble, then the time it took to share this was worth it.

BE WARM!

Not burnt.

edit

Oh yeah!! there was a spider web inside the main orifice partially blocking the gas flow to the burner. Fourth of fifth little arachnid that made me money this year

Edited by Michiganmobileman, October 30, 2012 - 07:02 PM.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, tractorman604 and 10 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Jeez, that's dirty! Typical of rental property, though.
  • Michiganmobileman said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Had to work on my heating system today. I have chimney leaking (rain water) issues, so late last winter I had covered the chimney, then installed a temporary flu out the cellar window opening. That had worked fine until these winds came the last 3 days and blowing against the house created pressure that tripped the flue pressure switch of my propane furnace, so no heat. Opened back up the chimney to find bird had found a way in & built nests down the chimney. They had even worked the welded wire loose from the chimney that blocked their entry. So I had to get the nests out, then put the chimney back into service. I will cut some expanded steel to place on both sides, then secure with a long piece of 1/4" redi-rod & nuts/washers. I still need to do a thorough cleaning of the interior of my furnace & check the fan's condition. I do know it's not nearly as dirty as your pics! BTW....my home is nice & warm now!

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Thank you for the reminder. Now that is one D I R T Y fan.
Isn't it funny how people think turning the furnace up higher will change anything. If it's not heating at 80, maybe it'll make heat at 90.

I had done all the maint this year, but your post reminded me that I forgot to oil the blower motor. :wallbanging: Duh.

#5 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:42 PM

This year alown. (7) Service calls, Blower housing and Core cleaning. Outside Fan Motor, Inside Core Cleaning (1st time didn't work). 24v transformer and Fan relay. 2 months later house filled with smoke, Core replacement, another transformer and fan relay. 1 month blower motor shorted, replaced with a universal, A/C fine, but when the heat was selected new motor fried. Finally found a good A/C guy, replaced the blower motor, fan relay, re wired back to specifications. All is good now except mt wallet. over $2,100 for all this :wallbanging:

#6 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:07 PM

I cleaned the condenser & evaporator coils in our unit past spring, but I never did get to the blower. It's supposed to be decent this weekend, maybe I'll tackle it then. What this house really needs is new duct work throughout. When the previous owners had this system installed (about 8 yrs ago) the contractor did a total cob-job under the house. They literally pieced everything together with odd sized pieces & cut-offs. :mad2:

#7 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Jeez, that's dirty! Typical of rental property, though.

Yeah you got that right Kenny, why pay for maintenance, when you can hold off for replacement :thumbs:

Had to work on my heating system today. I have chimney leaking (rain water) issues, so late last winter I had covered the chimney, then installed a temporary flu out the cellar window opening. That had worked fine until these winds came the last 3 days and blowing against the house created pressure that tripped the flue pressure switch of my propane furnace, so no heat. Opened back up the chimney to find bird had found a way in & built nests down the chimney. They had even worked the welded wire loose from the chimney that blocked their entry. So I had to get the nests out, then put the chimney back into service. I will cut some expanded steel to place on both sides, then secure with a long piece of 1/4" redi-rod & nuts/washers. I still need to do a thorough cleaning of the interior of my furnace & check the fan's condition. I do know it's not nearly as dirty as your pics! BTW....my home is nice & warm now!

Glad to hear you are back in service Daniel!
Pulled a dead bird out of a combustion blower yesterday. Removed a whole darn flock(well 3 anyway) last week at another job.

Thank you for the reminder. Now that is one D I R T Y fan.
Isn't it funny how people think turning the furnace up higher will change anything. If it's not heating at 80, maybe it'll make heat at 90.

I had done all the maint this year, but your post reminded me that I forgot to oil the blower motor. :wallbanging: Duh.

My mission has been served :wave:

This year alown. (7) Service calls, Blower housing and Core cleaning. Outside Fan Motor, Inside Core Cleaning (1st time didn't work). 24v transformer and Fan relay. 2 months later house filled with smoke, Core replacement, another transformer and fan relay. 1 month blower motor shorted, replaced with a universal, A/C fine, but when the heat was selected new motor fried. Finally found a good A/C guy, replaced the blower motor, fan relay, re wired back to specifications. All is good now except mt wallet. over $2,100 for all this :wallbanging:

That statement there says a whole bunch. Find a good one and keep him forever. Some times there are no good guys available though :(

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:34 PM

I appreciate your advice and suggestions. I will check the furnace in the morning. Thank you Greg!

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Greg,

Is this something that can be a fire hazard if not cleaned periodically? Real good information, and Thank You for sharing with us. Nice to know all of this before old man winter starts showing his head.

#10 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:06 PM

Your post is an excellent one. Especially the part about how a little dirt on the blower vanes can and often does make quite a difference in the air flow. Makes me sick to think of all the furnaces in this country that are chugging along without ever being looked at. :(

#11 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 04:26 AM

There is probably good reason why the landlord doesn't let them touch anything.....lol. A good friend of mine is in the same business and I hear the horror stories all the time.....

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 07:49 AM

Great reminder for those who don't really think about maintenance on their furnace. I grew up in the Oakland County area and my dad had a HVAC company back in the 70s thru 90s. I can't remember how many furnaces that we had to take the blower out like that and take it to the car wash to clean and replace. With the newer higher efficeny furnaces that have the secondary heat exchanger we would find that some people never replaced their filters or didn't install a new one after removing a old one. I've seen the bottom of the secondary heat exchanger with so much lint and such that you could pull it off and it would look like a blanket. Efficency is key now that prices of fuel are so high. Great post and glad to se a service tech that goes the extra little bit to make sure that the homeowner gets what they ask and pay for.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Greg,

Is this something that can be a fire hazard if not cleaned periodically? Real good information, and Thank You for sharing with us. Nice to know all of this before old man winter starts showing his head.

Since you mention a fire hazard, I'll mention another appliance that need service often no one thinks about. A few years ago my wife mentioned that 3 women she worked with in the office had had fires in their clothes dryers. It's a lint factory(tinder box), and it is not a big job to clean the blower and vents. A simple 20 minute tear down and cleaning can prevent this and as an extra bonus it's an easy way to pick up a couple of bucks in change out of the blower housing. Besides that it will be more efficient and cost less to run. I do our about every 3-4 months.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 31, 2012 - 08:11 AM.

• Alc and Michiganmobileman have said thanks

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 08:30 AM

It is unimaginable how much energy is totally wasted due to dirty furnaces, or any appliance that requires cooling/heating components. Refrigerators, freezers, clothes dryers.....they all need to be clean or they pump $'s to nowhere. I'll bet the losses are in the billions of $'s per year just in the USA alone.

#15 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 09:07 AM

I clean both on a regular basis. My furnace isn't set up for filters. It uses a wire mess. I dont like it nor do I trust it. A return line is on the list as well.

Sent from my HTC One X