• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 06:54 PM

So.. I'm getting ready to install my hardwood floor. What say you guys..

1 should i picture frame the floor before installing all the wood?
2 should i (if i picture frame the floor) Cut the corners at 45deg and make all of em match?

Any words of advise is welcome.

Thanks in advance..

#2 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Real hard wood I assume or laminate?

Real wood you can do most any layout and make it look good, just takes more time and money to do so. If you have the tools, time and moolah, mitered corners would look better to me then butt joints.

#3 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:07 PM

The only kind of flooring that I have ever done with picture frame has been tile. Any kind of wood flooring, whether laminate or the old style tongue and groove, needed room to expand and contract to avoid buckling. If there was baseboard down already, we would add shoe moulding to cover the little space that was all around the room. I was a carpenter for 25-30 years and it's just the way I was taught.
Robert

#4 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:08 PM

Sorry.. yes Real hardwood.. Maple.. :thumbs: All my own tools and myself doing it. Cause i live a little ways out of town the trades guys figure its worth 3 times the price as if they where doing it in town. Yes i have done finishing work before.. Just NOT hardwood.

There are no baseboards, there is slate that this will be going around and beside cork.

Edited by Team_Green, October 30, 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Team_Green,

Let me make sure I understand you correctly. You're looking to run maple flooring around a slate inset, and around the outside of your hardwood maple flooring, you have cork flooring? How big of an area are we talking about here? Will this be placed in a foyer, living room, dining room or kitchen? How wide of a band are looking to achieve with the hardwood, in other words, how much void is there between the slate flooring and the cork flooring? Just trying to get a feel as to how much hardwood you're looking to install.

If the hardwood is going to be around an existing slate floor, then I'd recommend going with the picture frame idea around the perimeter, and yes, mitering the corners so they match. You could step the joints, by overlapping the joints, differently each row, but I think the mitered corners would look much better.

Anyway of posting us a picture of your area?
  • Team_Green said thank you

#6 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 11:32 PM

Johndeereelfman I will try to get a picture in the next day or two.. I will explain it a bit better. When you come in the front door there is a five foot deep slate area then a approx 12 foot space where i want to instal the hardwood then if ya keep going my wood stove sits there on a slate surround. To the left and to the right of the stove is also in need of flooring and then down the hallway and up to the bedroom doors. It's a very odd shaped area. I will attempt a pic tomorrow.. but it may be busy..

#7 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 04:21 AM

Useing "real" wood flooring always looks better in my opinion. There are sooooo many ways of doing it depending on your likes/dislikes. I laid a floor in an older house that someone had redone in the 80's to modernize. The people buying it wanted the "older" style hardwood floor look and thats exactly what they got. I took all the boards and cut them at various lengths. They were all 1x8's and I staggered them from one end to the next useing and air nailer to set them securely. After they were all laid, I used square head style nails at the ends of each bored to give the original look as they would have had in the 1800's when the house was built. Theyr sold at homedepot and not that expensive. A friend of mine stained the floor for me as I know my weaknesses and staining a large area is one of them, its been 12years and the floor hasn't moved, warped, cracked one bit. Looks great and from the day I finished the customer had the older look they wanted.
  • Team_Green and LilysDad have said thanks