12 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 06:13 PM

My daily 43 mile commute on I80 18 wheelers are never out of site.
Tonight there were a lot less going west and I ONLY PASSED 4 GOING EAST.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 06:17 PM

I ONLY PASSED 4 GOING EAST.

Maybe they were driving faster or you were driving slower.
  • JDGuy445 said thank you

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:13 PM

Tonight I ONLY PASSED 4 GOING EAST.

You need to eat more baked beans, or drink a lot more apple cider. Works for me all the time. Wife isn't as proud of me as the kids are, and complains about the stink, but talent is talent! :smilewink:
  • MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 04:07 AM

yea I noticed the same while at work (alota driving) yesterday...not nearly as much traffic as usual.....

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 07:57 AM

All Right you guys, I was not commenting on my bodily functions. Just pointing out that there is very little freight moving east this week. I don't remember ever seeing so few trucks on the highway.
  • MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 09:25 AM

You know we are just kidding and having some fun with you, nothing personal! I saw the opportunity and just had to run with it.

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 31, 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 09:35 AM

You know we are just kidding and having some fun with you, nothing personal! I saw the opportunity and just had to run with it.

No Harm-No Foul and no offense taken.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 10:49 AM

I've noticed less traffic in general. Also, less over stock in the stores. Hope the shipping thing doesn't affect pricing.
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 11:05 AM

JD; you know there is always one or two in a crowd. :smilewink:
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 11:10 AM

I've noticed less traffic in general. Also, less over stock in the stores. Hope the shipping thing doesn't affect pricing.

You can be sure it will affect pricing and in some cases will result in shotages. Whenever there is a national disaster somewhere in the country. Supplies are channeled to that area.Building suppliers will be sending most of their resorces to the East Coast for some time to rebuild. That will result in shortages outside that area and could even result in rationing. After Katrina for a few months you could only buy 10 sheets of drywall at a time in Des Moines. I;m sure Shippers are just waiting long enough to be sure the loads can get to the depots and be off loaded. Then it will probabyl look like a Convoy headed east.
Today yet the list of zip codes with "Service Disruptions" from UPS reads like an encyclopedia.
Several years ago, on a sports talk show they were talking about Penn. States advantages in recruiting.
One of the commontators pointed out that 1/3 of the total population of this country was within 300 miles of Happy Valley.
A though that had never occured to me before.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 31, 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#11 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 05:31 AM

I was talking to a trucker yesterday who hauls a lot of lumber. His miles have been way down since 2008 because there's less building happening in the US. He hates hauling steel because it's heavy and can be dangerous, but has been making up some of the difference with that.

He was saying that when there's a disaster in the US it helps the whole North American economy because of your excellent system for providing aid and rebuilding. Building supplies, and pretty much everything else, start flowing to the area. It puts people to work and frees up both public and private funds. Apparently our system here is lacking in comparison...the rebuilding is slower and the supplies trickle in...so it doesn't have the same economic effect.

I'd never really thought of it before, but it makes sense. So JD Dannels has a good point about the convoy about the convoy about to occur.

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,577 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Yesterday on the way home, we passed about 5 loads of generators headed east on the PA turnpike. The first load I saw was hauled by a local garage's rollback. We also saw full loads of plywood on trucks of any kind. The last load of generators I saw last night was a local truss delivery guy. Its like they were using anybody that was willing. The convoys of line trucks and tree service trucks were long.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Yesterday on the way home, we passed about 5 loads of generators headed east on the PA turnpike. The first load I saw was hauled by a local garage's rollback. We also saw full loads of plywood on trucks of any kind. The last load of generators I saw last night was a local truss delivery guy. Its like they were using anybody that was willing. The convoys of line trucks and tree service trucks were long.

You know it was the Flood of 1983, in Des Moines that brought a couple truckloads of generators, pumps and hoses to the parking lot of Haymarket Square from a warehouse supplier in Minnesota called Northern Hydralics. That Morphed into a store still at the same location today called Northern Tool.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 01, 2012 - 09:48 AM.