15 replies to this topic

#1 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • Member No: 632
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 09:45 AM

Just finished getting the PTO to deck belt onto the d4-10 all I can say is that I'm honestly surprised at how well it actually mowed. but here is the belt size and Napa part number

the belt for the 32" round deck is an 84'' x 1/2'' belt and the Napa Part number is 4L840W

hope this helps everybody

this worked for me but, there is no belt tensioner so the belt is not super tight. but it mowed just fine with no slipping even in really tall grass.

#2 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 10:21 AM

Glad to hear you got it going.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 10:29 AM

Brz....the mule drive itself slides fore & aft to adjust the belt's tension. The plate the 2 mule drive pulleys are mounted to have slotted bolt holes where it bolts to the underside of the frame. Loosen them just enough to allow tapping the mule drive forward to snug your belt, then tighten. Then you'll be in real business. I'll start a sticky later & add this belt size.
  • brzezinski01 said thank you

#4 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 10:46 AM

thanks! I'm gonna head out right now and give it another go with a tight belt! you werent kidding that round deck does do a nice job.

p.s you can call me Tyler. lol it's alot easier than the difficult task of trying to spell my last name

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 10:49 AM

Glad to hear you got it going.

:ditto:

#6 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 02:58 PM

ok sooo, I got the belt tightened and as soon as I started mowing again sparks wear flying out of the front. I stopped and checked everything and nothing seems to be rubbing anywhere. so my question is...the rod that is connected to the lever, there is a little rod (the parts catalog calls it the plunger) that puts pressure on the PTO to make it stop or lets off pressure to engage the pto is that supposed to be connected to something or does it just sit in there not connected.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 03:05 PM

As I know, that rod just sits inside it's guide with the engaging arm just butting up against to push or let off of it. So you think the sparks are coming off it? Funny that it starts sparking after tensioning he belt. I would look close at the mule drive pulleys. If one of them is hitting the mount, it would send sparks up to the front, or at least one of them would. You need to wiggle the mule idlers to check for looseness in their bearings. May have to take belt off to really check them out.

#8 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 03:09 PM

That was the first thing I looked at, because that was the only thing that I messed with. It looks like vibrations are causing that plunger to move freely in and out and when it comes in and touches the PTO it spins in enough to puch it back out and hit the engaging arm causing sparks...any ideas?

#9 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 14, 2010 - 01:19 PM

you were right...the one pulley on the mule drive was just grazing the steering rod when I was turning just slightly. so which means that the 84" belt isn't right...I will post back with the correct belt size soon

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 10:27 AM

Did you replace this new belt yet? Fun mowing with old iron isn't it!

#11 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 07:45 PM

Did you replace this new belt yet? Fun mowing with old iron isn't it!

yeah it is! but unfortunately I am missing parts for the deck, most important being the little connecting arms that connect the front of the deck to the front of the tractor that prevent the deck for moving front to back. my tractor has 2 pieces of angle iron in the front that come down to about 4 or 5 inches off the ground with no holes in them to connect anything to. I can kinda bypass this problem by tightening up the 4 deck hangers but that only works for a while and still allows the deck to move, loosening up the belt. I noticed the parts I was missing while I was looking at the Bush Hog company restore thread, and I don't have anything that looks like that in my box of misc parts. so I need to figure out something, also going to have to figure out how to put the plow on so I can have some fun with that this winter :D

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 08:00 PM

The 2 pieces of metal bolted to the front are guides for the snow plow. They also serve to hook helper springs on to help lift the plow blade. I've never had a deck mounted yet, so I'll have to look to see what you may be missing. Got pics?

#13 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 08:07 PM

I'll take some tomorrow when I got some light. but judging by what john deere calls them I am guessing the parts that are missing are the draft arms and the guides to hook them to. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Thanks!

#14 brzezinski01 OFFLINE  

brzezinski01

• Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 05:12 PM

here are those pics the last two are of the other deck that I have.020.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 018.jpg
  • 015.jpg
  • 017.jpg
  • 016.jpg
  • 019.jpg

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 08:00 PM

Mine has turnbucles for draft arms. Never had it mounted, but I believe they go from rear of deck mounts to frame. I'll get a pic for you. I'll look in my manuals for info also.
Those bars mounted on the front are your snowplow guides.
  • brzezinski01 said thank you