LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:30 AM

There is a noticable group of Bolens Lovers on here. I'm just curious, what is the most desireable model. Is there a concensus on this?

#2 Bigdaddydon OFFLINE  

Bigdaddydon

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1755
  • 75 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:01 AM

I was going to say it is the one you have but, the most desireable one is the one you are about to get. Even if you don't know it.

Personally I like the tube frame hydro, 1256 but the 1050 seems to be the one that defined the class.
  • Huskyfan said thank you

#3 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:14 AM

As for the most versatile, I'd have to vote for the 1256. It's a hydro, has enough HP to do just about any work you would need to do, and being a tube frame has a lot of attachments available. If I could only have one Bolens, that would be the one I'd keep.

As for the most 'desirable'? That's pretty much the one you have been 'lusting for', but haven't gotten yet :D :D :D

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:33 AM

Yes I do like my 1256 as well.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:40 AM

My favorite is the 1250. Its big and powerful. My H14 has lots of attachments but most of the time I just pull trailers with the 1250. You really can't go wrong with any of them if you don't pay too much. They are extremely well built to last.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:16 AM

Listening to you guys always makes me want to ad a Bolens to my collection!

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 12:52 PM

This is a tough question and I am sure everyone who collects or has a Bolens has a different opinion as to which model is the most desirable.

Bolens made so many different pieces of equipment (Many which were years ahead of their time) I simply cannot say that there was a definite #1 Bolens of all time that was above the rest as all of them had their own unique features and significance in the industry.
  • Lauber1, boyscout862, MailmAn and 1 other said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 01:20 PM

Bolens 1000 do you have any large frames? You seem to have an extensive collection but I dont see any large frames listed.

I think that most of the old quality GTs that we collect are still ahead of our times. I hope that someday the idea of paying more to get better quality that lasts (MADE IN AMERICA) makes a comeback. Thanks DR. Bolens

Edited by boyscout862, October 30, 2012 - 01:21 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 01:26 PM

Bolens 1000 do you have any large frames? You seem to have an extensive collection but I dont see any large frames listed.

I think that most of the old quality GTs that we collect are still ahead of our times. I hope that someday the idea of paying more to get better quality that lasts (MADE IN AMERICA) makes a comeback. Thanks DR. Bolens

I do not own a Largeframe (Yet)
If the price was right I may consider getting one.
I'm sort of hesitant because If i get a largeframe that will open up another can of worms and I probably wouldn't be able to stop buying them. :D I'm almost out of room to store the ones I have, and I dont have the heart to leave any of them outside in the elements.

#10 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'm sort of hesitant because If i get a largeframe that will open up another can of worms and I probably wouldn't be able to stop buying them. :D I'm almost out of room to store the ones I have, and I dont have the heart to leave any of them outside in the elements.

if you run out of space just ship em over the pond to my place !

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 02:42 PM

I like the size of your heart. I would like to store my toys inside but they all sit outside with giant plastic bags over them. I'm actually thinking of building a shelter out of tree trunks(8") and sheet plastic.

I do think you should look for a 1250 so that you have the set(850-1050-1250). Ive bought 2 at $200 each. One running with no attachments and one not running with 4 homemade attachments. I also bought an HT23 not running for $100 which was supposed to be running when parked 4 years ago. Even my teenage son thinks they look soo cool(which he usually reserves for 60s Camaros, Novas, Cougars and Mustangs). Whatever you do, good luck.

Edited by boyscout862, October 30, 2012 - 02:43 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

#12 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I agree, there does seem to be a great amount of Bolens fans here and I don't know enough about them to pick a certain style, but I am facinated with an older style I have seen many pics of and would love to own one....
bolens.jpg This is a picture of the style I like. Not even sure what the style is I just really am intrigued by it.

#13 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 04:10 PM

I agree, there does seem to be a great amount of Bolens fans here and I don't know enough about them to pick a certain style, but I am facinated with an older style I have seen many pics of and would love to own one....
bolens.jpg This is a picture of the style I like. Not even sure what the style is I just really am intrigued by it.

Looks like a 1962 600 to me.
  • Farmlife said thank you

#14 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 04:12 PM

Thanks....like i said, not too familiar with Bolens but I am a fan of them. Great style and thought put into those tractors.

#15 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 04:34 PM

... This is a picture of the style I like. Not even sure what the style is I just really am intrigued by it.

That would be one of the 'round hood' tube frames. The round hoods were the 600, 800, 900, and 1000. The 900 and 1000 had 'flat' fiberglass seat pan/fenders, and the other 3 had the round metal fenders like in your pic.

Personally, I think that the tube frame series were the best GTs ever built. They pretty much had it all. They were stronger than death, and had so many attachments available that there almost nothing that you could do with any other GT that you couldn't do with a tube frame.

The tube frame series stayed in production from 1962 through 1978. That wouldn't have happened if they weren't good.
  • MailmAn and Farmlife have said thanks