Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Gilson S-14.....need Help With Model, Year, Etc.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 ep103 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14423
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 07, 2012 - 07:19 PM

I have just acquired a Montgomery Wards made by Gilson, it is a 14 Hydrostatic, but I cannot find any model number, or serial number can someone direct me in where it would be.I bought it right, and even got the mower deck, and a snow blade, it has great compression, but the points plunger doesn't open and close the points, so I have to figure something out there.. Thanks Ed 45306

#17 Guest_rat88_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 07, 2012 - 09:47 PM

The tag for the old S frames were on the right side below the battery tray, in the 2 holes on the frame. Pics would help to pin down the year. Decoding the engine serial number is usually the easiest. The first 2 digits in the code/ ser# are the year. Plunger sticking is a common problem on the old briggs CI motors. Fixing it properly on the old gilsons can be rather labor intensive, but well worth the time invested.
Just to get you in the ball park, the short pointy fenders were '68 -'73, the wider fenders that cover the tires were '74-'76 ( if I remember right). But that is just for the S frames. They made 3 different styles. When I hear the name "gilson", I automatically think of the S frames first.

Edited by rat88, November 07, 2012 - 09:48 PM.