grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:51 AM

I'm glad to hear that your Dad is OK. As many have already said, and as my Dad used to tell me,when things like this happen as long as nobody gets seriously hurt the material things can be fixed or replaced.Wish Dad well from all of us here at the site.
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#32 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 08:57 AM

When the truck was new it was a glider kit. I cruised around the net a little tonite and found another W900L that is a bit newer which is a glider kit as well. Your idea of one from two was my thought as soon as I saw it. The price seems right but it's half way across the country which would make getting it here rather expensive I think. My dad is not going to make any instant decisions on what he's doing with our truck. We are going to contact the neighbor and see if we can contract them to haul the rest of our corn for us. This was the first load of corn we had taken and at 500 bushels a load for us we probably have another 10 loads to go yet. The neighbors can handle 900 with their bottom dump hopper trailer so it will be 6 loads for them if they will do it.

Your dad is a smart man not making any snap decisions. I understand about his pride being hurt, I felt the same way after my accident. I hope everything works out for you and your family and that you end up with an even better truck. How did you fair with the storm?

#33 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Ouch! Good to hear he's okay though. My dad has wrecked his share of big rigs as well. Certainly can make for some damage.

#34 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hope the bumps and bruises didn't stiffen up to much overnight.
How's the truck look in the light of day?

It's not home for us to assess the extent of damage yet. It's getting towed home either late today or sometime tomorrow. Talked with my mom this morning and she said that he has a big bruise on his shoulder and he was complaining that his hip was bugging him a little bit. The neighbors are going to haul the rest of our corn for us and some friends from the IH collectors are getting us more wagons to use as well.

#35 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 04:13 PM

Your dad is a smart man not making any snap decisions. I understand about his pride being hurt, I felt the same way after my accident. I hope everything works out for you and your family and that you end up with an even better truck. How did you fair with the storm?

Storm had no effect on us at all. Just like a windy rain shower.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#36 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Just wanted to give a small update on this. Well the truck is getting salvaged. Dad and I pulled it out of the shop over the weekend and I turned the motor over by hand thru compression on all the cylinders to make sure it was free and there was no oil on top of the pistons so we didn't hydraulic lock it and bend the crank. After unhooking the inlet to the turbo as the air cleaner pipes were broke we found some pieces of plastic laying in the inlet side of the turbo, but no evidence of any going thru it and the fins all looked good. We charged up the batteries as there is a short in the cab from the roll over and it pulled down all four 1000 CCA batteries. I checked the oil to make sure we didnt loose any and it was up to the full mark. Climbed in the cab, made sure teh clutch worked and hit the key. In less than a full revolution it came to life and purred like a kitten like always. Left it build air pressure which it did just fine and I pulled it outta the shed under it own power. I took it for a quick ride on the back road mom and dad live on and it went right through all the gears and everything mechanically functions on it.

Yesterday we went to a local salvage and bought a used cab for on it which is a little newer and is a little nicer then what was on it. They are going to remove the old cab and put on the one we bought. We are going to have new sides made for the box and a new bulkhead put on. In the pics it looks like the bed is twisted but after looking at the truck and assessing a little I think what is happening is that the side being twisted in and the bulkhead being all bent up that it is pulling the corner of the box off the truck frame. We will know that for sure when we get the bulkhead cut off and the sides removed. We are going to repaint the hood, cab, and bed sides IH red and change the frame from blue like the cab to black. It is also going to get tricked out with a little "bling" with some additional chrome pieces and maybe some straight pipes with mufflers inside them. I'll have to post more when we get it underway. For now I'm just glad it is staying and we are gonna fix it. Don't know why but I just hated to get rid of it, almost like one of my tractors.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#37 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:41 PM

I'm assuming your Dad has bounced back by now? Glad to hear about getting to repair/rebuild your truck, I know how you can get really attached to some things like that.

#38 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:51 PM

I am glad to hear the truck is fixable. Look forward to further updates. Dad is AOK now?

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 10:11 PM

Good news, hope the project goes well.

#40 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 05:55 AM

I am glad to hear the truck is fixable. Look forward to further updates. Dad is AOK now?

Dad is just fine. Other than being sore for a few days he is well.
  • KennyP said thank you

#41 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 06:25 AM

Great news to hear. Glad you Dad is okay and the major portion of the truck can be saved.

#42 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 11:39 AM

I'm so glad everything has worked out for you and that Dad is doing well and has recovered. All Good news! :thumbs:

You know what the next thing is? :wewantpics: of the restoration as it goes.

#43 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'm so glad everything has worked out for you and that Dad is doing well and has recovered. All Good news! :thumbs:

You know what the next thing is? :wewantpics: of the restoration as it goes.

I'm hoping I can get some pictures of it during progress since it is going to be at a shop about 20 miles away from here. Hopefully I can get up to the shop one or two days that they are working on it to get some of it disassembled. It is only going to take them a week to get the cab swap done once they get started on it. One thing we will have to do first is get the new cab and our hood to a paint shop to get the painting done before it goes on the truck so it can be stripped of all the pieces like mirrors and exhaust stacks and airhorns. Much easier before it goes on then afterwards. It is also going to get a new clutch while we are at it as the one in it was starting to need adjusted more frequently.
  • KennyP said thank you

#44 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'm really glad to hear that your Dad and his truck are both going to make a full recovery! That's awesome news and I can't wait for the "after" pics!

#45 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Update #2 with pictures.  I've included some of the old cab and some of the new cab.  One thing I like about the new cab is the chrome visor on the windshield.  The only thing I can see bad about it is having to duck down at red lights to see them.  The last pic is of the inside of the new cab.  The place we took the truck to has been working on it off and on when they have time.  They are actually a trucking company themselves and we told them since we are in no hurry and don't need our truck till summer that their rigs that are earning money for them take priority and should be worked on before ours.  Mom and Dad stopped in last week and got these pictures of the truck.  The cabs are both off and the parts that they need from our old cab are being swapped over to the cab we bought.  The cab should be on by the middle of next week and then we will bring it home.  The bed is scheduled to be fixed sometime in february as the welding shop is booked up till then.  The weld shop will also be handling the painting for us as they are next to a very highly reccommended paint shop and they can get a better rate to paint it if it goes thru them as oppossed to us doing it ourselves.  They did find some things when they took the old cab off that needed attention.  One thing was that when they took off the cab they had to loosen a strap on the one air tank and it had a pinhole in it under the strap.  So that tank had to be replaced and it should stop a problem we could never trace down with it loosing air pressure fairly quickly when not running.  Another thing is that it needed a new pipe from the turbo back to the Y pipe that feeds the stacks as it was rotted (this pipe is under the cab and outta sight so it was not known).  Lastly and most importantly it may have been a blessing in disguise that the wreck happened.  They told us that the wiring harnesses inside the cab were in VERY BAD shape and that it was a wonder that the truck had not caught fire from an electrical short and burned up.  This is a blessing because the truck lives in our shed we just put up last year with our 5th wheel camper, our no-till corn planter, our combine and ALL our tractors.  So had it went off it would have taken almost all of our collection with it.  We also decided to trick it out a little bit while we are at it.  It will be getting 6" straight pipes with 45 degree miter cuts on the top.  We got it a new chrome grill and new air ride cloth seats as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0605 (Small).JPG
  • DSCN0606 (Small).JPG
  • DSCN0610 (Small).JPG
  • DSCN0611 (Small).JPG
  • DSCN0612 (Small).JPG
  • DSCN0613 (Small).JPG
  • DSCN0615 (Small).JPG

• MH81 said thank you