Photo
- - - - -

Hasn't Been A Good Day In Central Pa

and it\s not sandys fault

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Glad to hear your dad made it through OK. Insurance should take care of the truck after all isn't that what we have insurance for??? Anyway it could have been much worse so let's be thankful.
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#17 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Glad to hear your dad made it through OK. Insurance should take care of the truck after all isn't that what we have insurance for??? Anyway it could have been much worse so let's be thankful.

Unfortunately no it won't. The truck was insured but not for this. It's all up to us to handle.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#18 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Sure proud Dad is OK the truck can be replace but Dad's can't.

#19 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Proves how fast our lives can change, sure glad your Dad is o.k. Its a shame to lose such a nice truck, but Dad is a whole lot more important.

Couldn't agree more about dad being more important. For being an 87 it was one h_ll of a nice truck though for it's age and we didnt have a huge investment in it either. That's what really stinky about it is we won't be able to get another of the same par for what we put this one together for.

#20 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Unfortunately no it won't. The truck was insured but not for this. It's all up to us to handle.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully in the daylight with the main excitement over you all will be able access the damage and maybe it won't be a bad as you fear.

#21 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:38 PM

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully in the daylight with the main excitement over you all will be able access the damage and maybe it won't be a bad as you fear.

I wish I had a dose of your optimistic approach. The reality of it is thought that the cab itself is unsalvageable. Don't know if the motor will turn over or not. The bed sides and the tailgate are beyond repair and I fear that even if a new bulkhead can be put on that the bed itself is twisted and we don't know how the hoist came thru it. If the truck frame is not twisted then the chassis should be ok, just a matter of if the engine will crank and run again. I believe it will as he got it shut off pretty quickly and I don't think it ran more then a few seconds laying on its side.

#22 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 09:08 PM

I really don't know anything about the big trucks and what it would take to repair it, but I do know that so many times in my life I have had something happen and thought it was the worse thing and the next day or so when things had calmed down and I really got to look things over and think calmly about it things have worked out.

A case in point was a little over a year and half ago I crashed my bike on a 90 degree turn, it was my fault I went into it to fast. When I climbed in the ambulance I knew the engine guard was bent and the windshield was toast. I really didn't want to file a police report and raise my rates. I worried about for the next few day. Some buddies and I went up to get it and load it on a trailer, when I saw it my heart sank but we started talking about it and seeing it in a different perspective I was able to put together a plan of action. We got it home my wife and I started to take parts off and I slowly either fixed what broke or got the part off the HD classifieds. I'm still riding that bike today and you really can't tell it has ever been down unless you know what to look for.

The big thing is that your Dad is OK. and tomorrow or the next day when you and your family have calmed down from the accident you may also come up with a plan. Heck once you start looking you may find a truck similar to that one and be able to make one good one from the two. Or you may even find a better truck then that one who knows. I'm just glad the accident wasn't more serious, plus look you got to see the good side of humanity with all those guy help you and your dad clean up the mess and didn't charge you.

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Chad,
Very sorry to hear of the loss of the truck and any load loss. As said above, the most important thing is Dad walked away from it.

Sounds like theres a few guys at the elevator that are getting a thank you.

Please tell your Dad we're pulling for him.... And wait a week or two before making a crack about his driving skills.

#24 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Glad to hear Dad is OK!! The cleanup crew restores your faith in humanity.
Mike

#25 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 10:06 PM

I really don't know anything about the big trucks and what it would take to repair it, but I do know that so many times in my life I have had something happen and thought it was the worse thing and the next day or so when things had calmed down and I really got to look things over and think calmly about it things have worked out.

A case in point was a little over a year and half ago I crashed my bike on a 90 degree turn, it was my fault I went into it to fast. When I climbed in the ambulance I knew the engine guard was bent and the windshield was toast. I really didn't want to file a police report and raise my rates. I worried about for the next few day. Some buddies and I went up to get it and load it on a trailer, when I saw it my heart sank but we started talking about it and seeing it in a different perspective I was able to put together a plan of action. We got it home my wife and I started to take parts off and I slowly either fixed what broke or got the part off the HD classifieds. I'm still riding that bike today and you really can't tell it has ever been down unless you know what to look for.

The big thing is that your Dad is OK. and tomorrow or the next day when you and your family have calmed down from the accident you may also come up with a plan. Heck once you start looking you may find a truck similar to that one and be able to make one good one from the two. Or you may even find a better truck then that one who knows. I'm just glad the accident wasn't more serious, plus look you got to see the good side of humanity with all those guy help you and your dad clean up the mess and didn't charge you.

When the truck was new it was a glider kit. I cruised around the net a little tonite and found another W900L that is a bit newer which is a glider kit as well. Your idea of one from two was my thought as soon as I saw it. The price seems right but it's half way across the country which would make getting it here rather expensive I think. My dad is not going to make any instant decisions on what he's doing with our truck. We are going to contact the neighbor and see if we can contract them to haul the rest of our corn for us. This was the first load of corn we had taken and at 500 bushels a load for us we probably have another 10 loads to go yet. The neighbors can handle 900 with their bottom dump hopper trailer so it will be 6 loads for them if they will do it.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#26 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 10:10 PM

Chad,
Very sorry to hear of the loss of the truck and any load loss. As said above, the most important thing is Dad walked away from it.

Sounds like theres a few guys at the elevator that are getting a thank you.

Please tell your Dad we're pulling for him.... And wait a week or two before making a crack about his driving skills.

Load loss was less than 2 bushel since they used a grain vac to clean it up. As for making a crack on his driving skills I don't think I will. The reason I say his pride was hurt more than him is he told me as such. Said it hurt his ego a little that he's drove most all his life with no accident and then this happened. I think I'll let him slide on this one. LOL!!!!
  • MH81 said thank you

#27 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 04:07 AM

Sure glad to hear that your dad is ok.

#28 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 04:19 AM

Glad you dad is OK, and no-one else was in the accident.
The truck can be replaced!

#29 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 05:47 AM

Glad your dad is okay. Crashes like that are always expensive, but trucks and money really aren't that important when compared to people.

You said you suspected an airbag. That could be...guy I work with had an air bag problem with a full load and one front tire was barely touching the ground. Fortunately he was just in the lot, so no damage, but it sure messes up the steering in a hurry.

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hope the bumps and bruises didn't stiffen up to much overnight.
How's the truck look in the light of day?