• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 05:17 AM

In my case I will always need chains in some conditions no matter what tractor or tires I use. Ice and a hill together have made it necessary to have chains on all the tractors I've had. Even the 3500lb 2320 with 4wd was useless on the icy hill without chains. It is something you may not need all the time but should have on hand for when conditions require them. For a 12" wheel chains are pretty cheap. I made brackets to accept weight lifting plates on my wheels. I have 180lbs on each wheel of the 2320 and can get up to 100 each on the 314. Heres a link to a thread on the brackets.
http://gardentractor...ghts#entry90570

#17 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted October 30, 2012 - 09:02 AM

You beat me to it. If you can get one of those bar bell ends with the spin on nut, make a rear mount for it. Then you can add weights as you please and remove them quickly.

#18 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 08:53 AM

Rubber slips on ice, no matter what the shape of the rubber is. So if you live in a true winter climate where the ground freezes and stays frozen, rubber is gonna spin and you're gonna push. Chains are really the only way to go, on turfs. Chains have a tendency to fall between the lugs on those types of tires and do nothing. When they do stay atop the lug, there is a couple inches of chain contacted the ground, not full width like on turf tires. On larger farm tractors, where chains are a bigger scale, and can be run loose, chains do work on lugged tires. 2-link chains are best, the ones with the welded on cleat to each cross link are the best for performance, but will mark up the driveway more. To me, it's just a driveway, I want performance.

Now if you're farther south in a borderline winter state, where it snows, and melts, and the ground doesn't attain that permanently frozen basis, I've heard of people having OK luck running just ag tires. No doubt because of the lack of frost.

Personally, I use barbell weights and stack up as much as I need to get the job done. If you have 12" wheels, 20 pound weights that are smooth with the 1" center hole are a prefect fit inside the wheel. 25 pound weights of the same type fit to the outer rim nicely. Just drill 4 holes to match the holes in the wheel center. Currently I have 110 pounds on each rear wheel, and none of it extends beyond the chains.

#19 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 02:16 PM

Actually, Ag tires with the PROPER style of chains would the best for winter traction.

This type keeps the chain from falling down in between the lugs.

http://www.tirechain...m/26x12x12.html
http://www.kenjones....26x12x12=