18 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 06:32 PM

Its that time of year and I start thinking about my favorite thing Tires i called the tire place and ordered some tubes then i started thinking what should i run this winter for tires and chains and weights i have 4 link Atv tire chain that work Awesome but Destroy the drive ways also have 2 link chains i have 23x10.5 12s in Ags and in turfs i called walmart and inquired about Washer fluid its $28 to fill my tires or should i run a weight box maybe bolt my tiller on ? i have cast weights but i got a bigger blower and i think it will be worse for getting stuck my objective is to not need to run the aggressive chains and to only run my AGs can i do that if there filled ? i just got my Ag tires mounted in the summer and i got the 2 link chains in the summer so i have not ran Ag tires in the winter I need opinions
Thanks
Ty
  • AV430 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:24 PM

When the AG's go on the Ford, they will be filled with WW fluid. Plus the 75 lb. weights for each side. It ought to dig well with that.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:25 PM

If you have pavement you would be better off with the turfs filled and with as much weight as you can use on the back and still turn properly. Run the tires at a low enough pressure so that the sidewalls bulge a bit and you will get better traction. AG's in my experience are not as good as turfs on a smooth surface. Also, standard chains work better on turfs as they have a flat profile.

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:55 PM

I

If you have pavement you would be better off with the turfs filled and with as much weight as you can use on the back and still turn properly. Run the tires at a low enough pressure so that the sidewalls bulge a bit and you will get better traction. AG's in my experience are not as good as turfs on a smooth surface. Also, standard chains work better on turfs as they have a flat profile.

I have to agree, on smooth pavement do just as Brian suggests and those turfs will out perform the Ags, Good Luck with the project !

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:17 PM

I might add i am not always on pavement and have to drive thru the snow there is a hill going down to my Tractors Home LOL and i had tried the Just turfs with weight and it Sucked (they were getting clogged) i did more pushing then driving i have Atv tires( 25x11x12 At 489 ) mounted on my other rims that were only 7.5 wide the tires call for 9" i might widen my other rims to 10" and mount them on to give a flat face on the tire when i had them on they were pretty good even in reverse i did get stuck a couple times tho Driver error (ITS NOT 4 WD but lets try it any ways) How do Hd field tracks sound ? it would be even better if some one was removing them from a X series JD

Edited by 8tyman8, October 29, 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Plow or blow with the storm, and with proper weight you shouldn't spin the tires, which will solve your problems.

#7 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 09:14 PM

I would love to remove the chains from my Cub. My driveway has paid dearly for my carbide tipped chains. I have turfs on it and will have wheel weights made before winter. I just do not think it will push well without the chains. It would not be so bad if there was no wheel spin. Can it push well on just turfs? That is the question.

Geno

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Last three years, it's been turfs with chains here, but I put on some ATV tires this fall and Filled them with WW fluid. we'll find out together if it will work, I guess.
I think it was Utah Smitty who mentioned using a pump up sprayer to put the fluid in. Works well.

#9 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 09:56 PM

Last three years, it's been turfs with chains here, but I put on some ATV tires this fall and Filled them with WW fluid. we'll find out together if it will work, I guess.
I think it was Utah Smitty who mentioned using a pump up sprayer to put the fluid in. Works well.

i was going to use a old air pig and fill it with fluid then pressurize it then fill the tire or a was going to use a old EFi fuel pump maybe a drill pump ? and what tires did you go with ?

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Here is a thread about the new tires. http://gardentractor...es/#entry213780

If I had to do it over, I would have gotten one size larger tubes. These wanted to stay deflated and stretch with the fluid.

the pump sprayer worked well. Little adaption to get the hose on the valve stem, pour in the fluid & start pumping. When the fluid stops flowing, release the pressure and the air bubbles back into the tank. I used the drill pump once and it worked well, but this was much easier with less mess and loss.

#11 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 10:13 PM

If I had to do it over, I would have gotten one size larger tubes. These wanted to stay deflated and stretch with the fluid.

the pump sprayer worked well. Little adaption to get the hose on the valve stem, pour in the fluid & start pumping. When the fluid stops flowing, release the pressure and the air bubbles back into the tank. I used the drill pump once and it worked well, but this was much easier with less mess and loss.

Nice mud lite's i have heard that you dont need tubes with washer fluid i got Rip-ed of on my tires brand-new carlisle at 489s 25x11x12 $43 each i got to get my rims widened tho They Just fit in the fender

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 10:19 PM

Washer fluid shouldn't require tubes, but the tires that were on these rims before had a tendency to leak down... Wasn't going to deal with that any more.

#13 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 10:23 PM

ok, here is my solution for wheel weights...while I haven't done it yet I am sure it will work. Take one wheel off. get two plastic pails from 'lowes' or home depot from the bottom determine how 'deep you want your wheel weights and cut the pails to identical lengths. Then make 2 handles out of rebar that will mount into the concrete 2 for each will make em easier to handle. with the wheel off put the plastic pail in the center of the wheel and mark where the bolts will need to come through do both the same. Then take 4 - 4" J bolts(for each wheel) with the J pointing to the inside of the wheel. each pointing to the opposite bolt. Drill the 4 holes and put the J bolts through and secure them...with 3" or so protruding inside the pail. Then take concrete and fill away make the weights as heavy as you'd like. Make sure to put the handles in while the concrete is wet...then when the concrete dries you can remove the pail and paint the weight to match your tractor...I've been thinkin about it for some time and this is the best Idea I have...Good Luck...I can't wait to try this myself...but it has to work and for a nominal investment you can have as much or little weight as you desire...and the ability to mount it with one person...GL

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 11:02 PM

You are welcome, but it was me, not Smitty in this case. I've posted about the pump sprayer several times, including here:
http://gardentractor...-12-rear-tires/
In fairness, I need to credit my Dad with this one. He discovered it after we spent several hours filling a garden hose with antifreeze, putting an air valve adapter, and then allowing the water pressure in the faucet to force the antifreeze into the tire.
  • MH81 said thank you

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Sorry, giving credit to the wrong fella.
Hey Howard, I owe you a cup of coffee for passing that along... Or actually I guess I owe your Dad one. :D