caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 05:32 PM

After my visit to the scrap yard a couple weeks back, :mecry: I started thinking that I might like to start a garden tractor salvage yard. Has anyone done this or tried to? Any other thoughts on the feasibility of such a thing?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 06:12 PM

You might PM member bhts...he knows the business.
  • caseguy said thank you

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 06:17 PM

I have wondered about this subject and have mixed thoughts. I dislike seeing any tractors, or tractor parts, being scrapped... that's a for sure thing! I also dislike tractors being used for "non preserving" events, and that is the part that makes me question having a GT salvage yard. If those "discarded" tractors, or parts, are made easily available, will they be used for what I call a "good purpose" or will they be used on tractors for abusive events? Some tractor deals, and parts, have just been an "unknown find" that was laying around hidden in someone's barn, woods, or garage.

Just some food for thought... Bill
  • caseguy said thank you

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 06:20 PM

Good luck getting the zoning. Most people view such operations as a blight on the landscape because all too often, everything is out in the open with weeds everywhere and rusting tractors laying in them. The first place you need to go is the local town hall and look at a copy of the zoning bylaws. In some jurisdictions, you won't even find a scrap yard, junk yard, auto recycler yard, tractor recycling yard, whatever... listed as a permitted use. Even trying to find land that is legally zoned "Open Storage" can be tough.

Another source of information would be a local real estate company that specializes in commercial and industrial properties. Talk to their top man and tell him what you want to do. He can likely advise you on whether you could get into a venture like that and how much resistance you might run into. Now, an alternative would be to buy a farm that had huge outbuildings on it. Rent out the farm land to another farmer to work and then conduct your business quietly within the confines of the buildings. What people don't see, they don't get to bytch about.
  • caseguy said thank you

#5 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 06:49 PM

What about buying a wood plot of land, cutting a few trees down and store them there? I mean "outta sight, outta mind"?
  • caseguy said thank you

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 08:00 PM

Dan, I will do that!

Bill, I feel the same way about "appropriate" uses. I guess my thinking is that I'd rather see them used for something other than becoming so much scrap metal and being of no use to anyone. Thanks though for the food for thought.

Hydrive, I have considered those questions myself. I own 4 acres and my Father-in-law owns about 65 right behind/beside mine. The "yard" would be out of sight at the back of my property. Speaking to a real estate person is a great idea though, even if it is my property. As for the zoning, I'll definitely have to look into that before going any further. Thanks for your advice.

Austin, Thats a clever idea...but someone will find out...they always do. I'm not that far out in the country!

Edited by caseguy, August 12, 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#7 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 08:28 PM

Dan, I will do that!

Bill, I feel the same way about "appropriate" uses. I guess my thinking is that I'd rather see them used for something other than becoming so much scrap metal and being of no use to anyone. Thanks though for the food for thought.

Hydrive, I have considered those questions myself. I own 4 acres and my Father-in-law owns about 65 right behind/beside mine. The "yard" would be out of sight at the back of my property. Speaking to a real estate person is a great idea though, even if it is my property. As for the zoning, I'll definitely have to look into that before going any further. Thanks for your advice.

Austin, Thats a clever idea...but someone will find out...they always do. I'm not that far out in the country!

Not if its wooded to where you cant see it from the road, the sky, or the neighbors house. lol I ant that for out either, but I got woods, no one can see them in tell there right in front of you. But go with a wooded area. It works, just dont cut so many trees down to where you can see through the trees to the sky.

#8 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 09:20 PM

Not if its wooded to where you cant see it from the road, the sky, or the neighbors house. lol I ant that for out either, but I got woods, no one can see them in tell there right in front of you. But go with a wooded area. It works, just dont cut so many trees down to where you can see through the trees to the sky.

Let's see now...

Trees drop their leaves in the fall and when they do that, anyone over-flying the property in a light plane or copter can see the forest floor.

To believe that people don't talk is to believe that Pam Anderson's rack is home-grown. All it takes is one disgruntled customer to shoot his mouth off in a place where the wrong pair of ears overhears that conversation and it's all over. If you don't have legal zoning for that kind of operation, it's just a matter of time before the bylaw officer pays a visit and shuts you down. If you are not successful appealing that order, then the next order will be for you to clean up the property to bring it into compliance with the community standards.

This is not something you gamble with. On top of that, you don't want your operation to be a secret. You want people to bring you their dead tractors, tillers and other outdoor power equipment and you want people to send others to your place to buy. How can you advertise if you are in hiding?
  • Deck_Drive said thank you

#9 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 10:28 PM

Let's see now...

Trees drop their leaves in the fall and when they do that, anyone over-flying the property in a light plane or copter can see the forest floor.

To believe that people don't talk is to believe that Pam Anderson's rack is home-grown. All it takes is one disgruntled customer to shoot his mouth off in a place where the wrong pair of ears overhears that conversation and it's all over. If you don't have legal zoning for that kind of operation, it's just a matter of time before the bylaw officer pays a visit and shuts you down. If you are not successful appealing that order, then the next order will be for you to clean up the property to bring it into compliance with the community standards.

This is not something you gamble with. On top of that, you don't want your operation to be a secret. You want people to bring you their dead tractors, tillers and other outdoor power equipment and you want people to send others to your place to buy. How can you advertise if you are in hiding?

Very true. But running a small operation and getting rid of as many things as you can as fast as you can, and making enough money to sustain your self.

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 10:36 PM

Let's see now...

I have to agree with Hydriv. I went though this kind of thing many years ago to operate a snowmobile and small equipment repair business on my property. It was zone Agricultural when I purchased the property. We had to jump all the hoops the town and county threw at us and after a lot of $#!+++++ we did prevail and we started our repair shop. Being in the repair business we had the opportunist to (buy/repossess for lack of payment) some cheap/parts sleds and we did. Not enough room to keep inside and the yard did start to fill. County NOT HAPPY due to Complaints.
Second Problem I Always had was when I could sell one of those parts it was under 2-3 feet of snow and was not even worth going after.
Problem 3 after a couple pf year out in the weather not much was salvageable any more due to rust and all the other thing that happen to stuff left outdoors
We have some very successful AG yards up here and there business plan is to bring in the unit and salvage usable parts/inventory/warehouse/sell.

Just another thought buy a tractor restore and sell/restore and sell/restore and sell/restore and sell/.
Now you have a reputation and people that can afford this service will come in flocks. = nothing to the shredder. = GOOD JMHO..

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 08:02 AM

Years ago I opened a cycle/atv repair on the side. To get discounted dealer parts prices, I had to have a business license. Went to courthouse & seen my judge-exec whom I know well. Our county doesn't require license outside of city limits, but do require zoning. He said as to zoning, I was "grandfathered in" due to the fact we've always done little repair jobs for neighbors & such long before zoning regs came about. So I can still open a business here any time I want & no problems. He wrote me up an official letter of explanation to the parts business & I got my parts discount.

#12 SandburRanch OFFLINE  

SandburRanch

• Member No: 835
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 11:46 AM

To keep an area free of tall weeds and grass a few sheep in the lot will do a good job. Buy in the Spring and sell in the Fall.

#13 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 12:58 PM

My wife says I have a tractor scrap yard.....I dont know what she is talking about....crazy woman.

#14 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 02:56 PM

Thank you, all, for your input. I knew this was the place to ask the question!

#15 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 03:18 PM

I pm you my phone number give me call.