85 replies to this topic

#46 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 12:09 PM

NJ Ken in Da house !!

Generators ready, 35 gallons of gas, and plenty of food.

I'm about 35 miles east of Atlantic City, and expect to lose power for days.

East coasters, stay safe !!

I was wondering if you would make it home buddy...
Glad ya did..

We have my wife's 94 y.o. aunt with us. If we lose power and really need to leave, the schoool down the street is setup as a shelter. Getting some pretty good wind gusts here already. Seems much too early !??

Keep your head down.. Be safe buddy...

#47 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 03:01 PM

Wind has blown the 6" of leaves off the shop and carport and they're now the neighbor's problem.

Last local Wunderground station report was 12mph/27gust. Just occasional drizzle here.

First time in 16 years in this house one of the cats stuffed a dead mouse under the bedroom door last night. Thanks Dora, hope it was the one that got to the sweet potatoes!:D

I find it strange that NYC has 2 tunnels that are "prone to flooding" and are closed. I always thought that when you build tunnels the main purpose is to keep water out under any conditions. Today will be the lowest crime day in the Big Apple since that big "Manhattan Island Bead Deal".:D
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#48 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 03:14 PM

It's blowing hard !! Even the Statue of Liberty is afraid.

Attached Thumbnails

• image-2010108519.jpg

• grand, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#49 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 03:18 PM

It's blowing hard !! Even the Statue of Liberty is afraid.

That's a good one ,Ken. :D

#50 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 03:30 PM

In NE CT we're getting 50 mph gusts now. They seem to be coming from all directions. They said on TV that its a lower barometer reading than the Hurricane of 1938. My father survived '38 at its ground zero. Dispite 4 years of WWII (including 7 landings) he said that '38 was the scariest thing he ever saw. The other vets in our area agreed. Take it seriously and stay safe. Good Luck to all.
  • KennyP said thank you

#51 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 04:40 PM

I just looked on the county website and it looks like most of the calls are storm related. Wires down, trees in wires and debris on the roads. I guess it is here now. Most likely be losing the electric soon.

#52 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 05:05 PM

Just heard that Chicago is closing it's beaches and waterfront areas, and is preparing for flooding along Lake Shore Drive as well as Navy Pier. Looks like the northerly sustained winds may whip up some truly big waves, impacting the southern shorelines of the Great Lakes , as in all of the Great Lakes .

Here in Milwaukee officials are urging people to stay off the lakefront as well, as the waves here are predicted to be as large as 24 feet, more like 30 footers in Chicago, down around to South Bend, IN.

I cannot recall a time when a hurricane caused lakeshore flood warnings around here. WoW!

#53 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 05:39 PM

This is a large storm, affecting a huge area. Be safe, folks!

#54 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 05:53 PM

This is an interesting site for those interested. It shows the flood stages in many areas of PA, NJ, to NY....it is changing by the minute. You can refresh the screen to see the changes.
http://water.weather...dex.php?wfo=phi

Be safe and stay in doors!
  • grand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#55 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 05:57 PM

Winds just now starting to pick up so as you'd notice. Id say 20's with some gusts. Temps falling now, down to 39 from 45 at 4pm.
  • KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#56 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Getting the winds all the way down here in Ky. Gusts in the 30mph range, sustained 20+ all day long. Blew a lot of my feed supplement away as I augered it into my silage wagon. The auger tube just barely clears the wagon as I pull under, but feed still blew everywhere. I hate wind!
You people under the gun be very careful. Flying debris can take your head off.....literally!! Stay inside!

#57 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 06:25 PM

The wind gusts have been getting pretty wicked here over the last hour and half or so. The local station said we've gotten around 2.5" of rain so far but they're still forecsting 6.5". I was outside several times today and it really hasn't rained heavy at all, it's just blowing a lot. I came home from work around 5:00pm and had no troubles other than one spot where a road was flooded but I did notice that most of the smaller streams are ready to go over their banks. The one thing that really freaked me out was that everything is closed, fast food joints, Walmart, even some convenience stores. It was kind of weird to be driving home at rush hour with virtually no traffic. The other amazing thing is that we still have power. Usually the power goes out if it even thinks about having a storm.
I service hospital equipment and both of York's hospitals have cancelled almost all of tomorrow's surgeries. It'll be a good day to access operating rooms for PMs. :thumbs:
  • KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#58 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:20 PM

Getting the winds all the way down here in Ky. Gusts in the 30mph range, sustained 20+ all day long. Blew a lot of my feed supplement away as I augered it into my silage wagon. The auger tube just barely clears the wagon as I pull under, but feed still blew everywhere. I hate wind!
You people under the gun be very careful. Flying debris can take your head off.....literally!! Stay inside!

We were feeling the wind all day as well. Quite a few tree's down which means power lines down as well. We've had gust's up to 40 and tomorrow will be more of the same. The one good thing was it was sunny.

#59 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hey, I still have electric!! I was sure it would be out by now. Several church friends have been out for awhile now. Sounds like the worst is to be over for us about 1 or 2 in the morning. All the small streams are flooding and numerous roads blocked.

#60 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:59 PM

I heard a funny line on the radio this morning

You know it's serious when the Weather Channel brings out the ugly correspondents! :D
  • JDGuy445, LilysDad and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks