• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 09:16 PM

just saw on the weather channel that the lil orange dot is over Elmira New York which is maybe 10 miles from my house(just over the hill) so im hoping that the hills slow the winds down enough. But my parents live in Corning im just hoping it doesnt decide to follow the river cause theyll be right in its path.

#32 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 05:36 AM

Just a little bit of rain so far this morning and a steady wind. After Irene and Lee last year, I wasn't to worried this time. Actually I just saw the full forcast last night for the first time. It was an eye opener, we are gonna be in the middle of its path. I have not lost electric for more than an hour or two yet in the 10 years we are here but I think this storm might change things. I am on top of the hill so dont have to worry about any flooding. I think I will run out this morning and get a few things. Other than that it will be trust in the Lord to keep us safe through the storm.

#33 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 06:41 AM

. I think I will run out this morning and get a few things.

Oh, by now your Walmart must be cleaned out of bread and milk, batteries and toilet paper.

#34 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:30 AM

Yeah, I am sure it is. I just seen that all schools are closed in the county and we are under a state of emergency at 6 tonight.

#35 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:37 AM

Massachusetts was in a SOE Saturday lol . Its windy here with 20mph plus steady winds but its pretty warm at 50* .not much rain only a medium drizzle. I think we'll make it lol.

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:39 AM

To all affected, I hope you are ready! It's coming in! Best of luck! Report in when/as you can.

#37 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 07:54 AM

Just looked out over the neighborhood and very little to no destruction. :thumbs: Not much wind either. There is a good bit of rain though, so I better go check the rain gauge. About a cup of rain in the basement so that's good. A good bit of water has seeped into the back-porch which is enclosed. So I'll have to go fix that somehow before it covers the whole floor. Looked at the fire calls and it's just regular everyday ambulance and medical calls so far.

#38 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:40 AM

You all be careful out there, Our Prayers are with you!! Hydro Harold said the country would be pretty dead from the rocky's East and that will in some ways be true. Flights have been cancelled by the thousands and I heard that Mid american Energy has dispatched 15 linemen to NY. Along with that they have released 50 Powerline Contractor Companies they have on retainer to go east and help out.

#39 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 08:48 AM

Copied from the local fire company's face book page:
Some last minute notes on Hurricane Sandy...

Rawlinsville Fire Co. will have crews in the firehouse throughout the storm, however if you have an emergency, please continue to use 911.

We have already confirmed reports of power outages in Northern MD, Gas stations in Downingtown and other Philadelphia suburbs are out of fuel.

Everyone, be safe, be smart!!! Do not become a victim!!! Avoid flooded roads, and respect road close signs!!
Flood waters can be contaminated, or enegized by down power lines. Stay inside, keep cell phones charged, monitor TV & radio for updates.

Don't forget any family pets!!! Be sure they have safe shelter, and substantial food supply
available.

If you are using a generator, make sure it is positioned to keep exhaust fumes out of the home.

Pack overnite bag for each family member, and pack into car. If you need to evacuate, you can do so quickly.
  • KennyP said thank you

#40 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 09:59 AM

It is sprinkling here. Although, I don't know if it is actually rain or mist blowing from the ponds. After the damage from Irene last year I wanted to take before and after pictures of the water for this storm. I just got back inside from taking pictures and I also picked up some loose stuff over at Tesie's.

#41 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Oh, by now your Walmart must be cleaned out of bread and milk, batteries and toilet paper.

Surprise, all the shelves were about as full as ever. The wind is picking up and the rain is heavier. This is one week I dont mind being laid off. The thought of trying to put a roof on in this weather equals disaster. Typically we would work strait thru rain this heavy. Man am I glad to be inside in the dry. Stay safe everybody and take care.
  • KennyP said thank you

#42 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 10:26 AM

The storm has broken the record for low pressure in the mid-latitude Atlantic region in the last hour, 27.85 inches. I went to my Chelsea barometer to see what that would look like if it happened here only to find that the scale doesn't go that low! The core hurricane winds are strengthening as well. That's probably good for us in New England, because it will probably make for a more compact storm, but very bad for those to our South, where all the energy will be. Please stay safe everyone.
  • KennyP said thank you

#43 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 11:15 AM

NJ Ken in Da house !!

Generators ready, 35 gallons of gas, and plenty of food.

I'm about 35 miles east of Atlantic City, and expect to lose power for days.

East coasters, stay safe !!
  • KennyP, Team_Green and LilysDad have said thanks

#44 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 11:41 AM

We have my wife's 94 y.o. aunt with us. If we lose power and really need to leave, the schoool down the street is setup as a shelter. Getting some pretty good wind gusts here already. Seems much too early !??

Edited by oldtimer, October 29, 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#45 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 29, 2012 - 11:47 AM

Generators topped off & a little extra gas. Snow removal ready, bought a package of bottled water for drinking and some canned goods. Nothing I wouldn't use up in a month or so regularly, so no waste. I expect the electric to be out at least one day... storms like this, they often have a tree down that takes it out.

Got to go get the propane tank filled tomorrow for the BBQ, just in case the gas goes out too.