85 replies to this topic

#16 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 03:39 PM

So far I've done nothing. Going out in a bit to get all the loose things into the basement that could blow away. Other than that if I need a generator I will take a short trip to the farm and get one of them. Not much else I needa do really. No worries for me about gettin flooded or stuck at home.

#17 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 04:09 PM

This has got to be the first time PA. was hit by a hurricane. The folks on the coast usually fill their bathtubs full before the storm hits.

Actually we had two strong storms last year. Irene and Lee and then another one many years, that I can't quite remember. The biggest one was Agnes back near the 70's that caused some serious damage to everything. But your right a hurricane like this is very uncommon. My area just got hit by a tornado last weekend and now this. Not very good and we are still trying to clean up from the tornado. Stay safe out there guys. My one brother is on the fire department and he has been in full force these last few days and I'm sure he's gonna be very busy.

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Form what I understand, those inland will get high winds and rain. With leaves on the trees, breakage will happen causing power outages on a large scale. Have plenty of charcoal stocked up, might need it for cooking!

#19 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 04:49 PM

Food is cooked and ready for roughly 3 days worth. Propane is filled, grill is ready, generator is ready to go, fuel is bought, water is good, doggies have plenty of water set aside for them with food and yard is cleaned and ready to go. Most of this was done a few days ago to avoid the rush. Only thing I forgot was D batteries and 6 stores and they were no where to be found.

Irene we were without power for 10 days roughly and it sucked. Much more prepared this time around.

#20 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'm also a Vol. Fire Fighter and we were at the station this morning testing all our equipment, gear and lights. If I'm not home, I'm there running calls. Either way, I feel good that I can leave for a while and my family is ok.

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 05:05 PM

I was in Biloxi, MS in '69 for Camille. The neighbor told us not to worry. In all those years the water had never got up to the houses. Just to be safe we went to a more sheltered place to stay with friends. When we finally got home, we found that the water had gotten to the ceiling and they had found some dead naked guy outside the back door. Don't take anything for granted.

#22 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Actually we had two strong storms last year. Irene and Lee

You're right JD, those storms last year were nasty and did a lot of damage. I lost one of my tractor buddies during those storms. It took almost a week to find his body after he was swept away, and all he was trying to do was help out a fellow neightbor. The waters last year washed out bridges, and numerous roads. Our town of Lititz and Manheim, the next town West of us, were pretty much stranded, as the water was so high, you couldn't get in or out of town. I work in the town of Elizabethtown, which is a 40 minute drive from my house. It took me 3 1/2 hours to get home that day of the initial storm down pour! I really don't want to go through all of that again.

#23 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 05:27 PM

Thankfully farm work is nearly done. This was a pain in the rear last year! Muddy,flat, broken and tangled is not good for the crops.

Posted Image

The tornado did get a little bit but what it didn't get we got afterwards.

#24 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 05:54 PM

All ready here. plenty of non perishable food. generators are up and running and everything in the yard is picked up and stored.

I also have 2 deep cycle batteries and 2 power inverters. I used them last year for Irene and they work great! This way I can have my coffee pot brewing and not have to run the generator all day long.

I don't fill the bath tub or buckets, even if I couldn't use the well pump (in the event the generator dies), I have a pool that is full right now. and if all else fails then I resort to the old pitcher pump for the well.

I just want to wish everybody in it's path "Good Luck" and please stay safe!
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#25 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 06:47 PM

I filled the car and both 5 gal gas cans are full. I test ran and changed the oil in the generator. Then I wired it to the house so that it's ready if necessary. Then I covered the generator with a patio table and a tarp. I also test ran the chainsaw. Last, we took down all the patio furniture and umbrellas. My wife has a mobile hotspot so I should be able to still get Internet even if the cable goes out. School has already been cancelled here for tomorrow at the request of the governor, even though it's not supposed to peak here until late afternoon. Everybody stay safe!

#26 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 07:00 PM

I think it's weird that I just finished a generator project (posted on this site). The thing has been in running condition for less than 2 weeks. I have a transfer switch that's not wired in yet, but I can get the house up and running by wiring it in... in about 20 minutes... Tested it that way.

#27 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Good luck to all that are in the parh of this storm, looks like a biggie. I was living out on Cape Cod for " Bob" and that was enough. Combining a hurricane with a Nor'Easter,,, I can't imagine. Last Nor'easter I was in has winds up on top of Sugarloaf, ME in sandblasting territory, only it was snow hittin ya in the face.

My folks are vacationing out East , right on the coast , and as of today have now bugged out for higher ground . They should be fine, where they are now has generators in place, plenty of water and supplies at hand for many, many days.

Edited by marlboro180, October 28, 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#28 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Under my rock, I don't hear much and I only learned of the storm this morning! I got everything loose picked up, and I used my trailer as a make shift shelter for my generator.

I also took down a standing deadwood tree on my neighbors property that was going for one of my sheds. Taking the tree down turned into a MAJOR head ache! We eventually got it down, but not cut up. He has probably 7 more trees he wants to take down. I think one or two of them are dead. The others I can burn next year.

Also, school is already canceled for tomorrow!

#29 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Pickd up a few extra canned goods at Walmart along with a couple extra propane tanks for the camp stove, got plenty of wood on the porch for the woodstove, fresh chain for the chain saw, plenty of kero for the lanterns, guess we are as ready as we can be. Now its wait and see where it goes.

#30 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 09:09 PM

I got ready everything that I've got ready-ed for the last 50 years... AND, the "Shop From Home" delivery guy came late this afternoon! HE didn't run out of bread and milk! (Or Cheetos either!)

I'm surprised that with a storm predicted to be this bad the power companies aren't sending all their employees home to be with their families.

According to the NYC news stations, all civilization East of the Rocky Mountains will be dead by Wednesday. At least that's how they act about a wind/rain event nowadays. We used to weather this stuff without the "benefit" of any early warnings back when the weatherman's father was a little kid with a pinwheel.

Judging by the sounds of generators being tested in our neighborhood this afternoon people are damned tired of having no power for days at a time. Seeing my house the only one lit up storm after storm day after dark day must have finally rang a bell... Proves with enough time and discomfort people CAN learn!

On top of everything else, Hawaii has a "Tsunami Warning"? Mother Nature certainly has a sense of humor.

Here winds are supposed to be out of the NNE and ENE for this "event". FINALLY other neighbors will get MY leaves.:D