• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 11:54 AM

Who all is prepared for the storm? what have you done to get ready? Myself i have my rechargable lantern ready we have candles and plenty of canned goods water and 2 out of 3 vechiles are gased up just in case.

#2 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm not really sure how much of that storm will reach my way over near Buffalo, but for those of you closest to it.....PLEASE don't be heros!!!! I have had family and fiends all involved in Katrina thinkin they'd "tuff it out" with the end result being far from what anyone expected. Be safe everyone and my prayers are with you!!
  • johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 12:05 PM

Both of our cell phones are charged, I have made three pots of coffee, we have four bags of ice, all of the movable items on the porch and backyard are tied down, and we invested in $60.00 of numerous sized flashlight batteries. I'm heading out in a few minutes to gas up the truck just in case we need it for heat every now and then for the kids. Other than that, we are ready and waiting. The only thing I wish I had was a chainsaw, but hopefully we can survive without it.

Looks like we (Lancaster County) will be right in the middle of the storm, and they are predicting for up to 6" of rain. Hope everyone survives without damage, and comes out without injury. Please remember to help your neightbors in need, if they can't help themselves. Keep an eye out for your elderly friends, and check in with them every now and then to make sure they are ok.

Will report status as I can from Lancaster County, as I would hope others will keep in contact as well throughout the storm effected areas.

Take Care guys, it's going to get pretty nasty aroung here!

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 28, 2012 - 12:06 PM.

• caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 12:09 PM

All our prayers are with you folks and your families and everyone else in harm's way. Take care.

Edited by JBBR, October 28, 2012 - 12:10 PM.

• johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 12:41 PM

Stocked up on food, things are inside that might blow away. The dog is inside and locked., got another lantern and just in case the tractors and trucks are all fueled up. Most of the work is done at work as well.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 12:59 PM

In The Quiet Corner of Connecticut we are supposed to get nailed again. All vehicles are topped off and as to be expected the 1250 died today. After several days of working on them three generators are working. I have 50 gallons of gas in cans and another 50 in the cars to siphon out. Last year we were in the dark for 7 days and I burned 60 gallons of gas. The fridge and freezer are turned down and several gallon jugs of water are in the freezer. When the power goes out the gallon ice cubes go into the fridge to keep it colder.

If three generators sounds a bit much, last year I had to use all three as each broke down for awhile. I also have 10 nonworking generators for parts or future fixing. Too many deals I couldn't refuse. Good Luck to all.

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hope their predictions are off and it isn't as bad as they are saying. I'll be thinking and praying for you all up north.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 01:58 PM

I saw something last night that was pretty smart in preparing for losing electricity. They suggested taking sealable plastic freezer bags and filling them with water, then filling up the air spaces in the freezer with them.
I pray for all those in its path that you and your families are safe.

Edited by sacsr, October 29, 2012 - 12:54 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,656 Thanks
  • 7,680 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 02:15 PM

Stocked up on food, things are inside that might blow away. The dog is inside and locked., got another lantern and just in case the tractors and trucks are all fueled up. Most of the work is done at work as well.

This has got to be the first time PA. was hit by a hurricane. The folks on the coast usually fill their bathtubs full before the storm hits.
  • JDGuy445 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 02:28 PM

I was a kid when the last one I remember came in. All I remember was about 4 days of rain, collecting rain water to "flush" and a southern bird that showed up in our yard, injured and very cold.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'm never really ever prepared for this stuff.I did put loose stuff in under cover,and have my generator all gassed up and ready to go.

#12 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 02:54 PM

I stored all the outdoor stuff inside. Filled the 5gal cans full of gas and filled the jeep as well. Tractors are ready to go and so are the chainsaws. We have plenty of food and tons of bottled water plus I made 80pcs of jerky on the smoker today so we should be good....i'm hopeing.....

#13 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Got all the vehicles gassed up. Just went shopping yesterday so we have plenty of canned food and meats we can cook on the grill in the garage if need be. Also have plenty of water for all the animals and the generator ready to go. Hope everyone else is hunkered down as well. God bless!

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Well, it's now 4:05 pm, and the rain is starting to come down at a steady pace, The winds are still light, and the temperature is slowly falling. Hovering right around 50*. It was 58* about an hour ago.

I went to Giant, Weis, Target, Sheetz Gas Station, Hess Gas Station, (2) different CVS stores, (2)different Turkey Hill minute marts, and a Sunoco Gas Station, and can't find any D or C size batteries anywhere! Unbelievable. I just realized my flashlights that I use for the Fire Department are weak, and should be replaced. Well, that ain't going to happen!

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 28, 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 03:13 PM

Prayers are with you guys up there! I'm sure you'll be OK, but prayers can't hurt. Steve, Rachel, Grand, Linda, Sparky and his wife, and Doug I'd say will all arrive home with rain falling.
  • johndeereelfman and JDGuy445 have said thanks