• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 10:17 PM

I use my muffler as a hot box on the job. just stick a hand full in the top of the muffler when I start up my machine, works well.

#17 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:00 PM

From someone who has welded for close to 50 yrs, I think Cvan's advice is the best to start out with. There are several good, informative welding forums to go to. I will warn you tho to do a thorough search for answers to your questions first.
That Lincoln AC/DC machine is virtually bullet proof. You couldn't have made a better choice for a first machine.
Mike

#18 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 27, 2012 - 11:34 PM

I bought the Finch "Welder's Handbook" and have just started reading. I also found an interesting site, http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/.

Keep the advise coming, I appreciate it all. Thanks

Jason

Jody's site is the first one that I thought of when reading your post. You have a lot of good info to go off of fromhere at GTalk as well. Have fun making sparks and beads:-)

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 06:05 AM

I picked up a flux core wire feed welder last winter and did some research on welding but you really just have to get some scrap metal and make some welds. I found that I had little luck the first time so I went back and read some more and figured out what I was doing wrong - wire speed too low - After that I was able to make some decent looking welds and do several repairs to a couple of tractors I'm working on. Just study the safety stuff and wear the recommended gear and go for it. It's a great feeling being able to join 2 pieces of metal together. It's a very useful skill to have in general and particularly for this hobby.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#20 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 09:26 AM

I agree with Cvans on the 6011 thing. I have done lots of welding on many things and the 6011 is very versatile. Buy quality rods and keep them dry. There are containers for this purpose available. Then practice, practice, practice. You will find even with the 6011 that cleaning the material makes a difference. Grind or scale the rust and paint and other crap off. A needle scaler is a handy tool for cleaning but a grinder works well most places. Also remember the safety hazards such as burns, and fire hazards. My dad would fill a 5 gallon pail with water when we welded on the farm. Now days when I weld in the garage part of the prep is to get the garden hose rolled out and primed. It is easier to put out a small fire than larger ones. Also I have fire extinguishers in the garage.

KURTEE

#21 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 05:19 PM

There is also a book on welding titled 'Welding for Dummies'. While ready thru some of entries in the mechanical forum there was a free down load of the book. I don't remember what the article was titled but it had some to do with welding.

All I can say about welding is have your work as clean as possible when starting out and PRACTICE-PRIACTICE-PRACTICE. need i say more.

Welding for Dummies.pdf

There you go-Ihoipe.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, January 20, 2013 - 05:27 PM.