#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,735 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 08:00 PM

If you don't mind another lever by the fender, you can use a Craftsman manual sleeve hitch, and only have to drill holes in the hitch to mount it. But the hand lift lever comes very close to the fender pan. The Craftsman sleeve hitch can be had pretty rea$onably, usually.

#17 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 28, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the tip, I think I have a line on a proper integral hitch from a WFM member that I am getting my snowblade from. He is also working on locating a tiller in my price range for after the holidays. Mike

#18 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 31, 2012 - 11:01 AM

New pics, one of the improved headlights, I used the alum metal duct tape to make the reflector reflect the light better than the silver painted plastic. Then I added my xenon strobe that I salvaged from an old forklift to the left fender and wired it to a new switch on the dash, then I added my 4x6 Hobbs brand halogen flood light to the right fender. To bad the factory lights dont put out like this one light does! I should have my snow blade in a couple weeks at the latest. Got plenty of leaves to deal with before then. Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 02:04 PM

Tractor is torn down at the moment now, repainting things before the weather gets any colder. I have the grill uprights and engine side panels all repainted JD green using genuine JD paint in rattle cans. While I really would like to have all the green professionaly resprayed, its not in the budget anytime soon. I need to stop at the store and get a new roll of painters tape to mask decals on the hood and fender deck. Working on freeing up frozen nuts on the fender deck so I can get it off the tractor. Hope to have everything painted by this time tomorrow. Mike

#20 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 06, 2012 - 03:34 PM

I also like the idea of a professional spray but my finances don't allow for it. That being said, I am pleasantly surprised what good prep, good primer, sanding, and paint will do. A light wet sand between color coats will really smooth things out. When doing the final coat make sure you have a full can and shake it regularly.

#21 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 09:45 PM

Here she is, I do need to wet sand the hood and reshoot it as I am not completely happy how it turned out, the rest came out pretty nice for a daily worker. I found a later 4 wheel, 2 blade 38" mower deck with matching bagger for $250. He has it stashed in his basement till after the holidays when I can afford it. I need to tear the carb down, it has issues in the mid RPM range, full bore and idle are fine but when the two circuits are combined at mid rpms, she starts to stumble then stall if I dont drop the throttle to min idle or open her up to close to full power. Been to busy with other projects and I wanted to let the paint cure before I started messing around with it again. Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,735 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Very impressive outcome on the re-paint, I think. What happened on the hood that you're not happy with? From here, it looks very good.

#23 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted November 10, 2012 - 08:48 AM

Even with the prep work I did on the hood, it has some fish eyes back near the rear that doesnt show up in the pic. Mike